UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones motivated to break Tito's record

7/25/12 8:53 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC light heavyweight consecutive defense record
#1. Tito Ortiz (5, 2002-2005)
#2. Chuck Liddell (4, 2005-2006)
#3. Jon Jones (3, 2011-2012)

UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones is already considered by some MMA pundits to be the greatest pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

So how does one find motivation to improve when at just 25 years old, some suggest you're already one of the best ever in your chosen profession?

Tito Ortiz and digital video recorders.

"One of my primary goals right now is to top Tito's record, so that pushes me," Jones said.

"I'm big on setting goals, and that's one of my goals."

"DVR also pushes me, too," Jones said. "You get knocked out, that's on TV forever. I know that I have to be at my best."

Read entire article...

7/25/12 9:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
frankiscool
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Most Post Fight Excuses"
7/25/12 9:03 AM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think if anyone can do it, it's Jon Jones.

Would love to see Hendo rattle his jaw with an overhand right and put his lights out though... Phone Post
7/25/12 9:29 AM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/25/12 11:23 AM
Man I hope Hendo beats this kid. But Jones is damn good.    
7/25/12 10:41 AM
swany
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

should break it pretty easily before he moves hw
7/25/12 11:55 AM
Jeremy1983
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope he won't, but he will.
7/25/12 12:13 PM
TossTheGi

Crazy. I really thought Chuck was champ longer than 4 fights. Phone Post
7/25/12 12:41 PM
Card
1991 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan Henderson and Alexander Gustafsson will get him to tie it...
7/25/12 12:54 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very likely this could happen if he continues on his current path. Phone Post
7/25/12 12:55 PM
jjj2121

Jeremy1983 - I hope he won't, but he will.

Same thought.
7/25/12 1:15 PM
ranier wolfcastle
949 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jj would certainly break that  record if he was fighting the same people tito fought (in their primes)
7/25/12 1:34 PM
AztecWarrior4

Here we go... Phone Post
7/25/12 1:40 PM
newjack900
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - Dan Henderson and Alexander Gustafsson will get him to tie it...
I like how the UFC is trying to shove Gustafsson down our throats like he's the next big thing.. the problem is I just can't get him being manhandled by Phil Davis out of my head.
7/25/12 1:43 PM
Card
1991 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's been training with Phil Davis ever since... If not Gustafsson, then Forrest Griffin? Who else is there?
7/25/12 1:49 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is never breaking the record Tito set with his last fight. Phone Post
7/25/12 1:50 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YourMomMadeMeTap -
Card - He's been training with Phil Davis ever since... If not Gustafsson, then Forrest Griffin? Who else is there?

Forrest wouldn't even probably want or take the fight against Jones. I know he has said jokingly he wants nothing to do with him, and I think he is actually serious (I don't blame him, he isn't delusional.) It'll be Hendo, Gustafsson, then maybe Te Huna or a rematch of one of his previous fights.
Forrest doesn't want him at all. Not after the Silva fight Phone Post
7/25/12 1:53 PM
jjj2121

YourMomMadeMeTap - 
Card - He's been training with Phil Davis ever since... If not Gustafsson, then Forrest Griffin? Who else is there?

Forrest wouldn't even probably want or take the fight against Jones. I know he has said jokingly he wants nothing to do with him, and I think he is actually serious (I don't blame him, he isn't delusional.) It'll be Hendo, Gustafsson, then maybe Te Huna or a rematch of one of his previous fights.

Te Huna is nowhere near a title shot. 

It's Hendo, Gustaf, then off to HW.  The division will have been cleaned out.
7/25/12 2:12 PM
DanielCaton

Yeah even in my Prospect Piece, Te Huna is not even top ten.  He'll be a fringe guy that gatekeep the top ten at best.  To be honest...LHW is just going to get mauled by this guy.  JBJ is going to ring up a lot of wins.  Mainly because he's this good now and not even in his prime.  I don't think the average fan gets how much more he can develop.  Hendo and a healthy Shogun are really the only shots the division has at beating him.  Gus is going to get man handled by him.  Yeah, I'm sure his wrestling is getting better.  But be honest with ourselves here, is he going to stop that clinch throw or single of JBJ? No, will he be able to get back to his feet? No, can he even stand with JBJ? Maybe, and thats a big maybe.  It's going to take some sick nasty BJJ player or heavy handed fighter to have a shot.  Even then it's a hail mary attempt at landing something.  And it's at best a 4:1 shot to happen...AT BEST! 

The division does have a slight hope in a Chael P Sonnen coming up?

Here, we, go!
7/25/12 6:52 PM
Zeke Dynasty
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

his record is about the only thing left on Tito TO break LOL.
7/26/12 1:52 AM
stonepony

JJ should be looking at Anderson's records. Not Tito's. Breaking Tito's record is a foregone conclusion. JJ could lose to Dan on a fluke, and he'd still end up breaking Tito's record. Unless they drive a truck full of money to his front door and rush him to HW.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.