UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> SCA Weapons Training

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

7/25/12 2:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
antifret
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Went to a fencing practice a couple of days ago and it seemed like a bunch of nerds (im probably one too) but where else can you get good knife/sword practice based on traditional fighting styles. I realize the training isn't realistic but again how you going to get realistic when using bladed weapons? I guess you could pay some TMA type instructor who claimed to be in prison or something but how much better is that going to be. Going to archery Sunday perhaps (hopefully more girls there). Anyone here do this or have any thoughts?
7/25/12 10:31 PM
PeterIrl
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take up Kali or Arnis.
8/2/12 9:16 PM
ashleigh11
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PeterIrl - Take up Kali or Arnis.

this.

dan inosanato travels all over the world doing seminars. he's a great teacher, and who better to learn filipino martial arts from then a classic. he does a great job of teaching a concept and then going from empty hand to weapons, and at different ranges.

chances are he has one of his instructors near you-he has a ton.

i've also been to sayoc kali seminars. they are probably the most heavily studied edged weapon martial arts group there is. you can watch their progressions or "templates" on youtube to get an idea of what they do.

i've also attended seminars with cass magda. he teaches silat, which is really influenced by kung fu and the fma.

i've always been interested in the history of martial arts, so i find it really fascinating how the styles are influenced by old trade routes.

8/31/12 11:04 PM
LakerGirl
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ogami Itto on the OG is big into Kendo. It looks pretty cool, utilizes a larger more masculine sword than fencing. I'd bet he could answer questions.
9/28/12 4:19 PM
LeroyJ
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any TMA you get into will have a sort of geek factor involved. There's nothing really wrong with it, but you want to avoid places that show signs of a cult-ish style of instructor/leaders. Sometimes, enthusiastic people "geek out" on their TMA, and that's fine IMO, but if a guy is trying to make himself feel important, he probably doesn't know his stuff as well as somebody who truly "owns" the knowledge.

That said, there are some TMA's that are more practical than others. Hapkido and Kajukembo have a decent amount of weapons training. Kendo is great for what it is, and as previously stated Kali and Amis are good too.
9/28/12 5:28 PM
antifret
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah didn't get into the sca stuff . I saw a lot of hot girls at renfaire. Not so many at sword practice. May do archery with them though. Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.