UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> History of Olympic boxing

8/2/12 10:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PoundforPound
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jose Ramirez (one of our last big hopes) and Terrell Gausha are both out.

USA down to 2 boxers.
8/3/12 2:49 PM
buddie
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gausha was the best prospect the US had IMO.
8/3/12 3:42 PM
PoundforPound
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/12 3:43 PM
Fighting today:

Rau'shee Warren. It's his 3rd Olympic Games, he's our top guy and really our last best hope of picking up a medal.

Errol Spence. Looked ok in winning his first fight but he's fighting one of the top ranked boxers in his weight class next. He won't be favored to win.
8/3/12 5:52 PM
PoundforPound

Well, both of them are gone now too. Spence appeared to get robbed but it is what it is.

0 medals of any kind for Team USA boxing.
8/3/12 9:48 PM
Chappie
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, I am disgusted with Olympic boxing right now, I am recording the remainder of the fights, but I don't have the stomach to watch anymore right now. Our national boxing program is broken and 3 of our fighters got overtly robbed. Phone Post
8/3/12 10:18 PM
Chappie
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/12 10:19 PM
Very cool!!! Personally, I think that the judges fucked up and not necessarily the referee, but a just outcome regardless.

"London, Great Britain, 04 August 2012 – After reviewing the video of Bout #142 involving Welterweights (69kg) Krishan Vikas (India) and Errol Spence (USA), the Competition Jury found the following:

- There were a total of nine (9) holding fouls committed by the Indian boxer in the third round alone. However the Referee only gave one caution;

- In the second round, at the time 02:38, the boxer from India spitted out his gumshield intentionally. However the Referee didn’t give any warning

Based on these findings, the Competition Jury Members unanimously decided the following:

- Decision #1: Based on the AIBA Technical & Competition Rules 12.1.9, the Referee should have given at least two (2) warnings to the Indian boxer;

- Decision #2: Although the boxer from India intentionally spitted out his gumshield, the Referee’s view was blocked by the boxer from the USA and was not able to see the action;

- Final Decision: Based on Decision #1, at least four (4) points should have been awarded to the boxer from the USA. Therefore the final score should be 13:15 in favour of the USA. The protest is accepted and the winner of Bout #142 is Errol Spence (USA)."
8/3/12 10:20 PM
PoundforPound

LOL

Olympic boxing is such a clusterfuck. But good for Spence.
8/5/12 5:21 PM
buddie
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound 
Olympic boxing is such a clusterfuck.

Sigh, this.

I was so exited for this Olympic year for boxing, hoping it would provide some promising results and be the start of rebuilding the program for the US. Instead, the sport continues to be mired in controversy, full of corruption and the US looks bush league.

There have still be some absolutely superb skills on display by several boxers on different teams. Overall the boxing itself seems much better than in '04 and '08, but its overshadowed by the bullshit.
8/7/12 7:08 AM
hackett
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree that there's lots of skill on display in these games, better overall than what I saw the last couple of Olympics. And -- suprise. USA boxing will earn some medals this year.

Sad to see the problems though, because I actually really like Olympic boxing. The point system rewards basic boxing skill, and I like how it tends to be controlled and the safety record is very good. If a boxer wants to move on into the pro's, they'll be held to a different standard -- which makes perfect sense.

I know there are problems with the officiating, but guys it's not nearly as important as the problems with our US team.

Everyone knows that bouts are scored differently from the pro's and the game needs to be approached differently, but from commentators to coaches to the athletes themselves -- seems it's not being done right.

It's not everyone else's fault we suck so bad. Yeah they need reforms in Olympics, but we need bigger reform here.

It trickles down to the boxers, too. All the sour grapes about our bad showings gives talented guys like Diaz -- who I actually thought lost that second bout fair & square -- an excuse handy that Olympic boxing is some kind of joke. It kind of blows my mind seeing guys like Warren sound arrogant in TV appearances leading to the Games, when he's accomplished zero wins on the Olympic level.

The impression I get is that no one really has a grasp on the amatuer system in this country. Combine that with all the sour grapes about our poor performance in the Games and, well you reap what you sow.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.