UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> A True Legend Retires and Nobody Knows About It

7/28/12 3:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Zac Robinson
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT: Cutman Leon Tabbs retired. Thanks for your massive contribution to the sport Leon.

I'm working on an article with Stitch for Train Hard Fight Easy and he wants it to pay tribute to Leon Tabbs. He retired a couple weeks ago, and I didn't even know. I searched the forum and couldn't find anything. But Leon was an integral part of many UFC fights and before he retired he was the only active member of the UFC since the beginning.

He's worked many historical boxing matches over the last five decades and with his retirement a piece of combat sports history goes away. I've been fortunate enough to have dinner with him a few times and hearing him talk of all he's been involved with is amazing.

Thanks for all you've done for combat sports Leon!
7/28/12 4:20 AM
stevekt
689 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Those cutmen are pretty talented guys and invaluable to MMA. I hope Leon Tabbs has a happy retirement.
7/28/12 4:44 AM
Lahzerous
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did the OP just call himself a nobody?
7/28/12 4:46 AM
Zac Robinson
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lahzerous - Did the OP just call himself a nobody?

Yes
7/28/12 4:47 AM
Zac Robinson

stevekt - Those cutmen are pretty talented guys and invaluable to MMA. I hope Leon Tabbs has a happy retirement.

Stitch says Leon is working on his bucket list and he's at the Olympics right now.
7/28/12 4:52 PM
Zac Robinson

TTT Leon deserves it.
7/28/12 4:54 PM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought this was going to be a Scott Blevins thread
7/28/12 4:54 PM
random_perv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zac Robinson -  TTT Leon deserves it.
Didn't realise he retired. Him and Stitch were the OGs of the octagon. Phone Post
7/28/12 4:55 PM
Zac Robinson

Chimonos Revenge - I thought this was going to be a Scott Blevins thread

LOL, it very well could have been.
7/28/12 4:56 PM
Zac Robinson

random_perv - 
Zac Robinson -  TTT Leon deserves it.
Didn't realise he retired. Him and Stitch were the OGs of the octagon. Phone Post

Definitely, and Stitch calls Leon his mentor.
7/28/12 4:57 PM
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome! I got to meet Leon in Milwaukee. Stitch went out of his way to make sure he introduced me to him when I met him.
7/28/12 5:29 PM
John Crouch
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will miss this guy, he has been around the UFC forever and has some great stories. Good guy, hope his retirement is a happy one. Phone Post
7/28/12 5:37 PM
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive always wondered if cutmen are medically trained...like are they RNs or LPNs or PAs? just curious.
7/28/12 5:47 PM
Thiazi
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SmasherSnu - Ive always wondered if cutmen are medically trained...like are they RNs or LPNs or PAs? just curious.

In general, no. You will find the occasional person who works cuts and is also an EMT or RN, but there is to my knowledge no standard training at all that goes into it. Basically, buy some gear, get some practice, register with the local athletic commission (i.e. pay the fee) and convince people to hire you and *boom* you are a cutman. Basically all of the really good cutmen I have met have learned their trade via pointers from mentors and just doing it over and over.

Also, props to Leon, and I hope he has a happy retirement.
7/28/12 5:56 PM
UGCTT_RONINXOM
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Client 9 -
stevekt - Those cutmen are pretty talented guys and invaluable to MMA. I hope Leon Tabbs has a happy retirement.
! Phone Post
. Phone Post
7/28/12 6:00 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stevekt - Those cutmen are pretty talented guys and invaluable to MMA. I hope Leon Tabbs has a happy retirement.
This.

I feel kind of guilty for not knowing about this. I wish him a happy retirement. Phone Post
7/28/12 6:02 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

man, this guy should write a book.

I want some in depth interviews or something.

7/28/12 6:03 PM
Mertvaya Ruka
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and this guy should be in the UFC Hall Of Fame.

if there's a time to do it, its now.
7/28/12 6:08 PM
ChaelTheFailSonnen
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yup TTT for leon Phone Post
7/28/12 6:11 PM
Sensei Millia 209TT
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mertvaya Ruka - and this guy should be in the UFC Hall Of Fame.

Signed.

Thanks for your contribution Leon.
7/28/12 6:16 PM
UGCTT_sakurabas ear
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sensei Millia 209TT -
Mertvaya Ruka - and this guy should be in the UFC Hall Of Fame.

Signed.

Thanks for your contribution Leon.
Signed as well

Happy Retirement Leon! Phone Post
7/28/12 6:21 PM
Kirik
1930 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
DanTheWolfman - Thank you

+1
7/28/12 6:24 PM
UGCTT_LnPninja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
DanTheWolfman - Thank you

+1

+2
7/28/12 6:44 PM
Zac Robinson

I know Leon would appreciate the positive comments. I absolutely agree about Leon being in the hall of fame. Stitch is trying to get him back for one more show to do a "curtain call." He wants Leon in the hall of fame as well.
7/28/12 6:56 PM
whitfield1234
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you Leon tabbs Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.