UnderGround Forums

MMA Memorabilia UnderGround >> Removing personalizations from older posters

7/28/12 4:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
vegas_guy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Specifically UFC 36. Anyone have a clue how I could remove the personalization without messing up the poster.
7/28/12 9:14 AM
Break Left
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's probably not feasible. Your best bet would be to have an expert redraw the poster over the marker. Hopefully it's just on a black area or something. If its written in Sharpee you won't be able to get it off without taking off the poster ink as well.
7/28/12 6:11 PM
iSsUEs
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah then after a few days ur poster will smell like ass! Phone Post
7/28/12 6:28 PM
vegas_guy

Yeah it's silver sharpie thanks to BJ. Oh well.
7/28/12 6:28 PM
vegas_guy

Zombie Flanders - 
I hear if you hard boil and egg and rub the egg yolk on it, it lightens the marker.

Is that more efficient than using racoon urine?
7/28/12 9:41 PM
fightpimp

herring oil is a great one!
7/29/12 3:42 AM
Big Shot

I did see some where on a t.v. Program one time, they do have a solution that they do use for expensive paintings and paper documents that neutralizes the chemical compound of ink and breaks it up, thus making the painting or paper free from ink, marks, etc. it did however leave a slight color variation on the spot where the mark was removed from. I do think it also weakened the area from which it was removed from as well. Check the history or discovery Chanel. It was on one of those programs a while back!
7/29/12 4:23 AM
vegas_guy

Found this. http://www.ehow.com/how_7176289_do-ink-stains-paper-money_.html Nail polish remover supposedly works on dollar bills and art canvas as long as it has acetone in it. Has anyone ever tried this. I hate to ruin an old school poster like this already signed by bj and randy.
7/29/12 4:40 AM
Big Shot

Bro, I would personally, buy a cheap hello kitty poster and try it out on that first, before I would try anything like that on something as valuable as a poster signed by BJ and RC!!! Try it on something cheap, before risking something valuable. 
7/29/12 6:54 AM
vegas_guy

Big Shot -  Bro, I would personally, buy a cheap hello kitty poster and try it out on that first, before I would try anything like that on something as valuable as a poster signed by BJ and RC!!! Try it on something cheap, before risking something valuable. 

I agree, I just gotta find a poster low gloss like that style and same paper. I figured if its possible, someone here has succeeded.
8/2/12 8:18 PM
12SixElbow
607 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oxy pad.

(For zits, no really)

You've got to BE CAREFUL.
But I've done it before. I bought a posted signed to "tom" and removed "tom"

Definitely buy a poster at wal mart and test it first.

8/2/12 10:59 PM
armbarheelhook
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Shot -  Bro, I would personally, buy a cheap hello kitty poster and try it out on that first, before I would try anything like that on something as valuable as a poster signed by BJ and RC!!! Try it on something cheap, before risking something valuable. 
Is there something we should know about you Big Shot!?!? hmmm?

why are you buying Hello Kitty posters??..

Are you getting in touch with your female side!?! keke jk ;) Phone Post
8/3/12 12:57 AM
pulpfixin
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/12 1:01 AM
Just joined I am Chip's Linenbacker... Saw this thread thought I should comment. I was recently asked to remove silver sharpie from a Pride poster and tested several chemicals to remove a similar signature on a test piece. Really the first step is to identify the type of medium or ink the sig was done in. For example, Ball Point Pen, Regular gel ink, Sharpie etc... There are also numerous ways to remove these; denatured alcohol, toothpaste, I think Acetone was suggested, nail polish remover, etc.. Another factor is how long the ink has been sitting on the paper. Also consider what type of paper it is; is it glossy is? is it matte (ink soaks in further/deeper on matte type paper)...

Then really you must come to terms with the fact you are going to damage the poster pretty much every time either through fading, abrasion, ink removal... Goo Be Gone is great but it takes everything...

So now that you pretty much know there is a 95% change that your poster will be impacted; what to do? First see where the sig is on the poster... Is it in an area with a solid back ground? If so, the damage is much easier to fix. Is it across an intricate photo type section of the poster? May not be worth it...

The reason to ask is that you can remove and then fix with water color pencils or water color gouache paint (gouache has more pigment than regular water colors)...

Another worry that may bug you later is that you will actually resize the area where you q-tip nail polish etc. Paper expands when wet and doesn't always shrink back the same.. So Mr. No Name's sig is gone but now there is a wavy spot...

Removing sigs and ink are tough - just some considerations from my experiences..
8/3/12 1:28 PM
the chip guy

Welcome to the memground Charlie!

1+! for taking the time to figure out how to remove a sig from a poster and sharing your information with us.
8/3/12 1:34 PM
hunto21

Milly?
8/3/12 2:16 PM
Break Left

Good to hear you here Charlie!
8/4/12 3:22 AM
Big Shot

armbarheelhook - 
Big Shot -  Bro, I would personally, buy a cheap hello kitty poster and try it out on that first, before I would try anything like that on something as valuable as a poster signed by BJ and RC!!! Try it on something cheap, before risking something valuable. 
Is there something we should know about you Big Shot!?!? hmmm?

why are you buying Hello Kitty posters??..

Are you getting in touch with your female side!?! keke jk ;) Phone Post
Lmao! Your wrong for that one bro, lol! But yo! After raising 6 kids, 3 girls, 3boys, I better be somewhat tuned in to estrogen levels in my home, lol. My youngest daughter(3yrs) suckers me into hours of watching hello kitty, just to put her to sleep! Have probally all the DVDs and I did her room up for her in hello kitty, paint and all. So you can see where hello kitty came to mind, lol! 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.