UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> Gassing badly- need advice

7/28/12 5:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
c hurrle
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here are the relevant facts: I'm 37, work a desk job and have 25 pounds to lose. The bottom line is that I'm getting older and I am not in great shape. I've recently started training again after YEARS away. I find my self doing better than I expected, but my cardio is dog$#!+. The problem is my breathing. I find myself tensing up and holding my breath. When it's light rolling against the guys that are inexperienced in the gym, I am able to focus and keep the breathing under control. When I'm rolling with better guys I just get tight. This leads me to tire quickly and then I spend the rest of practice light-headed or trying not to puke.

Do you guys have any practical advice to help with breathing in the middle of sparring? I'm not looking to fight, but I am looking to keep training because I love it. I just keep walking away from practice discouraged. It shouldn't be that way.

I'm also starting a running program to get myself in better cardio shape, so please avoid the stupid "Get on a treadmill, fatass!" comments. Thanks in advance.
8/22/12 6:18 PM
UFCfan1002
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey

Now, I'm not an expert myself, but my suggestion would be to improve your conditioning specifically for MMA.

I'm following an excellent strength and conditioning program for MMA by a UFC S&C coach, and I have seen big improvements in this area.

An idea would be to do explosive circuits that replicate a typical sparring situation and train all three energy systems (i.e. ATP-CP system, providing high energy instantly w/o oxygen for about 10 secs, Anaerobic system, providing energy w/o oxygen for up to 2 minutes and Aerobic System, providing long term energy at low level using oxygen) at the same time.

An example may be:

Inverted Rows
Jumping Lunges
Jumping Squats
Medicine ball tosses
Clap Push Ups
Chin Ups

You get the idea? The main point I picked up is train your conditioning specifically for MMA.

There's a good example of one of his circuits here:

http://bestmmaworkout.com/
9/17/12 1:54 PM
fanat
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm about to start training MMA/Kickboxing after 4 years off and gassing is a huge issue for me.

I will try that website also.
9/22/12 12:22 PM
Seth
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am not an expert but after I started running 3 miles 3x per week and then when back to training I felt amazing.  I think roadwork is a very good thing.  A lot of high level guys still work jogging into their schedule so it must be working.

I know that jogging/running is not HIIT which most recommend, i'm just speaking on personal experience.  The more you continue to hit the gym the better your cardio will get so just continuing to go is the most important thing you can do.
9/24/12 5:39 AM
victorchensky
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

u need to do a lot of cardio, and i dont mean light cardio, i mean absolutely exhausting cardio. it is not a matter of someone going running more, it is a factor of how hard you actually choose to run. i know people who go running almost daily but run at such a slow pace that they still gas in training.

as for breathing i do not think it is the breathing that is bothering you. breathing is a symptom but the actual cause is being unable to gauge what tempo to keep when rolling with people that are more skilled. unless you plan on only slow rolling with people who are better, you will always exhausted rolling with them because you are trying to initiate as many actions as fast as you can while rolling with more skilled people. the reason why you do not gas while rolling with people who are worse is because you are able to control them and make them roll at your pace.

i am not in fighting shape but i would say i have significantly better cardio compared to most people that train for recreation. in order to get everyone in better shape our coach has forcibly 'encouraged' us to do very hard cardio. hit pads for 5 minutes then running a mile as fast as we can. immediately after running a mile we hit pads again. we repeat this process about 5 times, take a 5 minute break and then go sparring for half an hour. it sounds ridiculous but desperate measures must be taken to improve cardio endurance if you do not have any.
10/4/12 10:19 PM
Donoghue88
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem is not breathing. It's because the skilled guys push you further and your not in shape yet. All you have to do is accept that getting good cardio is going to take time.
1/14/13 2:09 PM
TSMontana
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is your diet? You're only as good as the octane of your fuel.
1/18/13 2:04 PM
rhino x2
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My cardio is shit too. Especially when grappling or swimming. In 3 minutes im super strong and fairly skilled can hang or do some damage if i wanted.

At the end of grappling practice I'm hanging on to survive. Not puke or get tapped. I have a little asthma and lately been sick.

Maybe next month I'll start being alpha again haha. Id like a work out plan to improve cardio and power with improved looks and not a weight gain. In my 30s now getting old is a bitch.

I was running and doing circuit training. Some weight lifting too. But gonna start and try some new shit.

2/1/13 1:00 PM
Soul Gravy

sub
2/17/13 12:09 PM
JamesDean57
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/13 12:09 PM
Check out this site.

8weeksout.com
2/26/13 7:36 PM
dalieu

I noticed that drinking lots of water a few hours before I train really helps me out.
2/26/13 8:20 PM
jasonhightower
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
3/4/13 9:08 PM
Glassyjaw

Heading back to the gym next week after a few years off. I am doing a lot of body weight exercises and joint protection work with cardio on that one machine that has handles, looks like you're doing some sort of weird cross-country skiiing thing.

Married for over a year now, expecting another bundle soon & it's time for me to make a lifestyle change and lose the baby weight. I was in great shape before, but all I did was train and go to school and church. I want to give myself, my wife and my kids the gift of a healthy and happy self/husband/dad.

Thank you guys for all the inspiration!

P.S. If you want better grappling cardio, do three then four then five minute sessions of "only takedowns". You will be exhausted in under a minute, and you'll start tying up/locking up for head and arm. It's sport specific. Also, if you watch people, it mimics HIIT (high intensity interval training) unless one is being overly cautious.

3/4/13 11:43 PM
victorchensky
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glassyjaw - 

Heading back to the gym next week after a few years off. I am doing a lot of body weight exercises and joint protection work with cardio on that one machine that has handles, looks like you're doing some sort of weird cross-country skiiing thing.

Married for over a year now, expecting another bundle soon & it's time for me to make a lifestyle change and lose the baby weight. I was in great shape before, but all I did was train and go to school and church. I want to give myself, my wife and my kids the gift of a healthy and happy self/husband/dad.

Thank you guys for all the inspiration!

P.S. If you want better grappling cardio, do three then four then five minute sessions of "only takedowns". You will be exhausted in under a minute, and you'll start tying up/locking up for head and arm. It's sport specific. Also, if you watch people, it mimics HIIT (high intensity interval training) unless one is being overly cautious.

good luck man, get ready for a world of hurt. by gym do you mean fitness or are you training again?
3/9/13 10:27 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best thing to help your breathing when you roll or spar is simply to calm down and breathe and relax. If you want to get better at BJJ/MMA whatever do it consistently. Ever seen two white belts spaz out and grapple? It goes when they get better and calmer. All in experience. And show some restraint at the dinner table and this will help you a lot. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.