UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Saudi Judo athlete to withdraw if hijab banned: pa

7/29/12 1:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://news.yahoo.com/saudi-judo-athlete-withdraw-hijab-banned-paper-153955894--spt.html
7/29/12 1:43 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is the hyperlink:

news.yahoo.com/saudi-judo-athlete-withdraw-hijab-banned-paper-153955894--spt.html

It's a shame it has come to this.  But it's a shame because of the actions of the Saudis.

This woman did not qualify directly or through the Continental Union.  She was GIVEN a spot by the IJF and then that invitation was ACCEPTED by her, her coach, the Saudi NGB and the Saudi government when they agreed to send her to London.

They knew the rules prohibited the wearing of any headgear including hers.  If they were going to insist on her wearing it, they should have declined the invitation to compete so that some other developing judo country could have sent a delegate.

7/29/12 4:01 PM
judom
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/29/12 4:01 PM
pretty pathetic if you ask me...and her Dad is a referee...NO excuses.

Its like showing up to a Judo match with basketball and complaining you can't use the ball. W-T-F !!!

Too bad she took the place of someone who actually deserved being there.

7/30/12 11:19 PM
Mit
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking pathetic....I hate hearing stories like this. Well at least they didn't go all PC and let her. Phone Post
7/31/12 8:21 AM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They did let her. What the fuck?

http://olympics.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/saudi_female_judo_competitor_allowed_to_wear_islamic_headscarf_in_competition/11336914

7/31/12 9:52 AM
Mit
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WTF....you don't go into someone else's house and make demands!!! Probably the biggest issue I have with Islam is the propensity to go to new areas with non muslims and start demanding changes.
7/31/12 12:54 PM
Kmonk
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Totally ridiculous.

Although my first thought was how to use the hijab in a match. If I competed against her and she wore that shit, she'd be getting choked out.
7/31/12 1:22 PM
judom
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jesus christ...what a disaster...is this now setting a precedent ? The IJF bent over...WHY !?
7/31/12 2:09 PM
Outkaster

I don't know I wonder if there is money involved but it's not right. There is an 8 page discussion about it over on judoinfo.com.
7/31/12 6:05 PM
judom

The IJF sometimes does nonsense like in this case.

Firstable, this person does not even have a black belt. What in the world are you doing there ? This is potentially dangerous for your health, to be competing with professional athletes when you are yourself a total newbie.

One day will come when some of these guys would get damaged and the IJF will need to rethink their policy.

To avoid this total mismatches, match-up all these representatives between themselves and let the winner continue or something. At least put them all in the same pool to reduce the chance of a disaster and reduce the warm-up matches that top judokas have.
7/31/12 6:09 PM
OCJudoTrngCtr
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/31/12 6:15 PM
 I believe it was pressure from the IOC on the IJF that led to a negotiated settlement.  I think it sets a terrible precedent.

Here is a recent story with comments from interested parties.

sports.yahoo.com/news/agreement-reached-saudi-judoka-113612833--oly.html

Here are quotes from the interested parties:

"They have a solution that works for both parties, all parties involved,'" International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams said. "The athlete will compete."

The agreement was later formally announced in a joint statement by the judo federation and the Saudi committee.

"Working with the IOC, a proposal was approved by all parties," the statement said. "The solution agreed guarantees a good balance between safety and cultural considerations."

Allow me to translate without the use of translate.google.com

"The IOC has told the IJF that they better come up with a fucking solution to this issue, or they will be fucked over at every opportunity going forward.  Once solution is agreed upon,  smile nicely for the cameras and thank the others for delivering a hard bitch slap across your face."

7/31/12 6:18 PM
judom

right, so from now on, we should expect ninjas in Judo tournaments ? wonderful.
7/31/12 9:41 PM
Chocolate Shatner
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judom - right, so from now on, we should expect ninjas in Judo tournaments ? wonderful.

SHARINGAN!!!!!
8/3/12 6:10 PM
UGCTT_45forever
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saw her today,looked super freaked out on the mat and I just knew she was gonna lose.She had a killer tache as well to boot. Phone Post
8/3/12 10:01 PM
Mr Mike from NC
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Calling a human being a fat piece of s%^& is uncalled for. Why would you call a chubby 16 year old girl that? Also, what business is it of yours if she wants to wear what amounts to try Judo rather than fulfill your stereotypes?
8/4/12 1:44 AM
molsonman
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After watching the match I'm not sure if she has actually competed in judo before. Phone Post
8/4/12 2:01 AM
Mit

what - Awe so cute, They let pathetic contestants in now to compete in the Olympics.

Horrible display of ability and complete poor showing.

Yeah she is fat, did I say her father is an IOC judge for judo? Garbage and politics don't belong Phone Post
I haven't watched it but is it possible she is some sort of political chess piece? Seems like there was an agenda. Thank god she got trounced and was unharmed. How bad is Saudi judo that she was selected? Phone Post
8/4/12 3:47 AM
UGCTT_45forever
341 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mit -
what - Awe so cute, They let pathetic contestants in now to compete in the Olympics.

Horrible display of ability and complete poor showing.

Yeah she is fat, did I say her father is an IOC judge for judo? Garbage and politics don't belong Phone Post
I haven't watched it but is it possible she is some sort of political chess piece? Seems like there was an agenda. Thank god she got trounced and was unharmed. How bad is Saudi judo that she was selected? Phone Post
After seeing her on the mats,If that's a true rep of saudi judo,they are fucked,honestly it was like she couldn't wait to be tripped.She was swamped with reporters and photographers after and was in tears,definitely a political agenda.She has no business wearing a judo black belt or being near the Olympics competitively. Phone Post
8/4/12 10:52 AM
RexKwonDo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Each division has countries which they give a slot to because they are underrepresented.

In addition some conferences are given more slots than they deserve.

The Olympics tries to maximize the number of people watching around the world. The way they do that is to make sure as many countries as possible have athletes participating.

The main problem is that these athletes give others an easy draw.

I don't mind the hijab. If it allows judo to spread to countries which normally wouldn't have women playing judo, then I'm all for it. I doubt the girl is a traditionalist if she's playing a mens sport like judo. More likely than that she is under societal pressure to wear the hibaj.
8/6/12 10:44 AM
JudoDave
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am sad that they would even let her be at the games - the wild card is for countries that dont currently have the ability to produce a world class level athlete and that is fine but this lady was not even green belt level. I have green belts that would have ripped her arm and her head dress off. There are so many other people that truly would have appreciated the opportunity to be invited and they actually work hard at their gyms. This lady's govt just wanted to try and make a religious statement and that can not be accepted. I am tired of this group or that group wanting to change the rules of our sport for their religious reasons or whatever. You dont like the rules - shuffle board is down the street.

@Mrmike - if the shoe fits...........
8/6/12 2:44 PM
judom

I was distressed less so from the special dressing, but more so from the way she fell on her head. I mean, it looked like a person who had never taken a fall in Judo. Her head just bounced off the mat.

This is the kind of thing where someone will one day get killed and IJF will smarten up.
8/7/12 12:15 AM
molsonman
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She was lucky Mojica took it easy on her. Even then she bounced her head off the mat and was hurt.
8/7/12 3:22 AM
judojon

There is a reason having a legit black belt is a requirement, I watched this fight, she could have been seriously hurt. Was is worth it for political correctness? IJF should be ashamed of themselves.
8/7/12 3:17 PM
JudoDave

I spoke with a lady who was there and the IOC forced the hand of the IJF - the girls father is on the board or commission. That is insane that wait wait hold for it........... The Saudis used influence of some kind to get her in there. There is no way she is a black belt yellow would be the highest i would go. Make them earn a spot and that means competing outside Saudi Kingdom.
8/7/12 6:48 PM
judoblackbelt
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched the match my thoughts were of a political nature. I also saw other matches maybe not of a political nature but where the skill level between the participants were so evident.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.