UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> USA Hamer Guitars

7/29/12 7:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jacks Wasted Life
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just picked up a USA Hamer Studio Mahogany guitar off of Ebay. I've heard that USA Hamers are great guitars for years but never had the opportunity to play one before now.

This guitar is fantastic! It is similar to a Gibson Les Paul Double Cut except all mahogany (no maple top), has a 14" radius and comes with a pair of Seymour Duncan 59 pickups. I A/B'd it with my Gibson Les Paul Standard yesterday and they sound very similar. The Les Paul is a little bit brighter and thicker but they sound very close and the difference wouldn't be very noticeable at a live gig. The neck on the Hamer is PERFECT, it is so comfortable to play and stays in tune forever. I think the Hamer is going to be my main gigging guitar going forward and I'll use the Les Paul more for recording.

If you like Gibson style short scale guitars, I would highly recommend picking up a USA Hamer...they are killer guitars and very reasonably priced on the used market.
8/14/12 2:14 AM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been a fan of Hamer USA guitars since they were a new company in the late 70s.

Attention to materials and construction make them fine instruments for the last almost 40 years. Yes, they can be excellent deals used. Underrated by the general guitar buying public to be sure.
8/15/12 7:41 AM
JasonKeaton
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My teacher used to endorse Hamer and he says the same thing. I know I've had my eye out for a couple  of the older model fo sho
8/19/12 2:52 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve Stevens rocked one for years.

good stuff and on par with early dean guitars in quality.
8/19/12 4:00 PM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ponyboy, if I remember correctly, Dean Zelinsky took guitar lessons from Paul Hamer when he was young, He started Dean in Evanston .IL, which isn't far from Hamer's original home in Arlington Heights.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.