UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pres: Invicta 2 got over 230,000 viewers

7/30/12 9:50 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In a recent interview with TapouT Radio, Invicta FC President Shannon Knapp discussed the streaming issues, rumors of a Russian buyout, and what the future holds for the promotion.

Stephie Daniels: You had some issues with the stream at the beginning of the event. Who handled your streamcast and will you continue to stream your events using the same company?

Shannon Knapp: Digital Studio 5A handled our streaming needs. They work for Crave Online and do the Sherdog streams, and handled our first event. As far as the issues, I think we're going to evaluate some things; what happened, what were our issues, where does the fault belong. So yeah, there will definitely be an evaluation period before a decision is made. He still turned it around and get it fixed.

It was my word to the fans that I was going to deliver a good stream, and when that didn't happen, I took it quite personal. I can't promise that it will never happen again, because this is life and things happen, but what I can promise you, is that I will do everything possible to make sure that never happens again. Just know that it affected me greatly, and I will do everything in my power to make sure that I give you all what I say that I'm going to give you.

SD: Were you happy with your numbers?

SK: Once again, we came out and blew away any expectations that I had. Coming into this, I didn't really have an expectation, but you can always hope that you did as well as you did the last time. We did beyond what we did last time. Myself, my business partner and my staff are ecstatic. The numbers came in and we couldn't be happier.

As long as those athletes had opportunities, the fights were good, well then, we're happy. To get the numbers we got, we are elated beyond our wildest dreams. It's absolutely incredible.

233K is what the first show did. The last show you had people going to the site to watch, then they'd leave, come back and watch some more. This time, we stayed steady and climbing. I don't want to share the numbers right now, but let's just say we started where we were the last time, and steadily, across the board, we never dropped. We actually increased the numbers and kept the viewers there. For five hours, people did not move. We drew more in and we never dropped off...

At 5:30 pm we had over 100k people sitting in the queue and my prelims hadn't even started. At 6 pm, when the event fired off, we had over 200k people hitting the site at once. Did I expect that great a number to hit all at once? Absolutely not. I can't imagine that the streaming guy quite expected that either. Even with our success the last time, those numbers would bounce up and down, and it wasn't all at once. Thank goodness for EdgeCast, because they came in and saved the day. The servers pretty much went into complete meltdown, so EdgeCast ended up actually hosting the event. My apologies go out to everyone for any problems or disappointment it may have caused, and I hope that we delivered a quality card, despite the bumpy start. Please be patient with us, because we are a work in progress.

SD: There were some crazy things flying around on Twitter that you might be selling to a Russian organization. Is there any truth to the rumors?

SK: First of all, I haven't talked to M-1. I'm not doing any business there. Yes, a Russian businessman did call me and ask to buy Invicta. Did I take the phone call? Absolutely. I take any phone call. I'm taking every phone call that comes to me. Does that mean anything? Absolutely not. I am not selling out. I'm keeping to the commitment and promise I made. I don't know where the rumors are coming from, but I am not selling Invicta.

Read entire interview...

Invicta FC 3 - Invicta Fighting Championships 3 takes place Oct 6, 2012 at the United States Memorial Hall, Kansas City, United States.

7/30/12 10:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
1991 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Missed the first 2 fights because of website issues, but looking forward to October.
7/30/12 10:06 AM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the stream worked fine for me, but the quality wasn't great.
7/30/12 10:06 AM
Nexuscrawlers
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - Missed the first 2 fights because of website issues, but looking forward to October.

this,
misse the first 2 saw the other 12, they were great fights too!!
7/30/12 10:07 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
"233K is what the first show did."
+
"when the event fired off, we had over 200k people hitting the site at once. Did I expect that great a number to hit all at once? Absolutely not. "
= crazy talk
7/30/12 10:08 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"we came out and blew away any expectations that I had. Coming into this, I didn't really have an expectation, but you can always hope that you did as well as you did the last time."

Kinda easy to accomplish that goal :)
7/30/12 10:09 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Edited: 07/30/12 10:09 AM
 INb4 the pathetic haters who think this is all lies. 

Some pathetic fuckstick named ShoePussy or something claiming that his research showed they had 2000 viewers only...
7/30/12 10:27 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

MMAfanWA - 

Someone else in that thread already analysed and said it looks like "about 125,000" for the first show. Chill, I'm not like that shoe guy, I want Invicta to succeed. Numbers are just a bit unrealistic. But it's an awesome show!

He did not prove anything about exact numbers, he was speculating off a sample taken from alexa...here is what the poster even said in that post you are talking about:

Alexa isn't perfect, much less for sites that low and the discrepancy can be considerably off due to the small sample size in those cases. I'm not sure what accounts for the discrepancy between the published number of unique IP addresses and the Alexa sample...
7/30/12 10:38 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

^^^^^^ Oh I feel you. I was just saying that the 125K estimate can be VERY off based on how tiny the sample size is, and the margin of error. That's all. 

Who knows the truth really, but this ShoeDipshit guy and his butt buddy Haole are a bunch of hateful idiots.
7/30/12 10:48 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Edited: 07/30/12 10:48 AM
Haole - 
UGCTT_LnPninja -  ^^^^^^ Oh I feel you. I was just saying that the 125K estimate can be VERY off based on how tiny the sample size is, and the margin of error. That's all. 

Who knows the truth really, but this ShoeDipshit guy and his butt buddy Haole are a bunch of hateful idiots.<br type="_moz" />

I hate fight promoters blatantly lying to fans, guilty as charged.

Yeah I KNOW!!!!! 

We surely should all do as much as we can as fans to bring down and shit on a Promoter who is bringing us FREE MMA fights....I mean as fans, we certainly shouldn't stand for any inflation of numbers from a FREE stream. 

/sacrasm

Seriously answer this question white guy from hawaii:

If they are indeed inflating the nmber of viewers, lets say from 150K to 250K, WHO DOES THIS HURT?
7/30/12 10:53 AM
Hardykilledmykitten
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_LnPninja -  ^^^^^^ Oh I feel you. I was just saying that the 125K estimate can be VERY off based on how tiny the sample size is, and the margin of error. That's all. 

Who knows the truth really, but this ShoeDipshit guy and his butt buddy Haole are a bunch of hateful idiots.
I don't even understand the purpose of the hate. Lol, it was a free stream. Who gives a shit? Phone Post
7/30/12 10:55 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Haole - 
UGCTT_LnPninja - 

If they are indeed inflating the nmber of viewers, lets say from 150K to 250K, WHO DOES THIS HURT?<br type="_moz" />

the fighters, event sponsors, potential buyers & financial backers, TV networks, etc.

LMFAO yeah it hurts the fighters....sure it does. 

The rest are fellow BUSINESSES who are equally as greedy and potentially full of shit. So is that really who you are white knighting?

Not to mention all of those sponsors, financial backers, and potential buyers would be able to request proof for the claims before making a decision to align with, or buy Invicta. Do you understand how this type of stuff works?
You think the Invicta owners can just say "hey we had 232359823598265 viewers" to a potential sponsor buyer and they will just believe them? lol
7/30/12 10:57 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Hardykilledmykitten - 
UGCTT_LnPninja -  ^^^^^^ Oh I feel you. I was just saying that the 125K estimate can be VERY off based on how tiny the sample size is, and the margin of error. That's all. 

I don't even understand the purpose of the hate. Lol, it was a free stream. Who gives a shit? Phone Post

EXACTLY. Haole is just a hateful negative piece of shit who thinks he is some WhistleBlower that is helping somehow by trying to shit all over an up and coming MMA promotion.

He/She was bragging in the other thread about how he/she predicted the fall of other MMA orgs. 

'woo hoo!!!! I knew that they would fail.'

Idiotic.
7/30/12 12:04 PM
NAAFS
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know when we streamed on ustream back in the day we came close to 100k viewers a few times but that was total views not uniques and with ustream pushing the events for us. I love wmma and hope the numbers are legit. Shannon has a great rep in mma and I doubt she'd risk it with false numbers. Phone Post
7/30/12 12:15 PM
mass805
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I tried about 15 times to get on...would get the web site (so Im sure they counted every time I hit it) but would get that stupid ad.

So I gave up and never watched it!

7/30/12 12:24 PM
valetudosuperfight

lol@anyone who spends hours of their time watching people batter themselves in a cage.
7/30/12 12:34 PM
Nexuscrawlers
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

valetudosuperfight - lol@anyone who spends hours of their time watching people batter themselves in a cage.

yeah, i prefer when they batter eachother.
7/30/12 12:51 PM
Crooklyn
700 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!
I'm wondering where this "over 250,000 viewers" number came from in the headline. The article never states a number. It states that they did better than the last time, and that the last time the numbers were 233K. To be exact, Shannon specifically declined to give the actual numbers, and would only say they were better than the first time. I feel obligated to say this because the title is saying something that Shannon never said.
7/30/12 1:38 PM
Cya

ttt
7/30/12 1:47 PM
whoabro

I hope those numbers are legit, but given that they are higher than ufc on fuel's, i cant help but think theyre fudged (eg, counting total views not uniques, etc) Phone Post
7/30/12 2:29 PM
CindyO

Crooklyn - I'm wondering where this "over 250,000 viewers" number came from in the headline. The article never states a number. It states that they did better than the last time, and that the last time the numbers were 233K. To be exact, Shannon specifically declined to give the actual numbers, and would only say they were better than the first time. I feel obligated to say this because the title is saying something that Shannon never said.

I'm wondering about the 250k also because I was physically with Shannon in KC at the first event when the guy contacted her with the stream numbers and he reported 230k and climbing. There were still 3 fights to go at that point. I don't know the post event count but I know she isn't making anything up.

If someone wants to verify this they should contact the guy who did the stream- he's the same guy that did SFL's for Ken Pavia:)

Cindy
7/30/12 2:38 PM
Bromovich
494 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Took me about 50 minutes to get the stream and it was a little laggy at times, but it was a thoroughly entertaining card (even better than the first imo) and i will be watching next time for sure. Phone Post
7/30/12 2:43 PM
jjj2121

The UFC on facebook with a ton more promotion and a huge fight like Bendo/Guida with title implications didn't sniff 250k viewers online ever.  Some women's show that had next to no promotion doubled Henderson/Guida in terms of unique views?

I just can't buy that.
7/30/12 2:49 PM
CindyO

jjj2121 -  The UFC on facebook with a ton more promotion and a huge fight like Bendo/Guida with title implications didn't sniff 250k viewers online ever.  Some women's show that had next to no promotion doubled Henderson/Guida in terms of unique views?

I just can't buy that.

So are you comfortable enough with your thought process to place a wager on it? I am. How many uniques do you think they got? You could go with under 200k and I could go with over 200k for like $100 bucks or something. And how can these things be verified? Thanks.

Cindy?
7/30/12 2:53 PM
REDRUM_NYC

the stream was FREE and AWSOME if you have negative shit to say SMD

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.