UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do people forget that chael earned his title shot?

7/30/12 10:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SupesUp
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see a lot of threads right now about how everyone is following in chael's footsteps of acting like a douche to work there way into a title shot. People saying Diaz will get a shot at Anderson just like chael did.

While chael was running his mouth he was also running through the top two contenders in okami and marquart. I thought chael had zero chance against Nate and would find himself at the back of the bus but he earned that shot, it was not just his mouth. Phone Post
7/30/12 10:22 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are right that those are two legit wins, despite being terribly not exciting to watch. 

Chael's style is not exciting for most fans. His fights alone would not have gotten him the title shot. Even he admits that no one was paying attention to him until he started calling Silva out and playing the heel. 
7/30/12 10:26 AM
Whambo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I don't like tho is that it seems like Anderson's camp is deciding who the #1 contender is. It's reminding me of boxing too much.

The UFC wanted to put on that the Chael rematch right away, then Anderson's camp said no he needs to earn it first.

So Chael wins 2 another fights, and Andersons camp says ok we'll fight him now.. but still Dana had to basically drop a press conference and negotiate 4 hours with Anderson (despite Anderson being under contract) right before the presser before Anderson would agree to the fight.

Now Anderson is saying he won't fight Weidman, he wants to see if Vitor wins his next fight, and GSP is the only fight for him...
7/30/12 10:30 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Edited: 07/30/12 10:30 AM
Whambo - One thing I don't like tho is that it seems like Anderson's camp is deciding who the #1 contender is. It's reminding me of boxing too much.

The UFC wanted to put on that the Chael rematch right away, then Anderson's camp said no he needs to earn it first.

Pretty sure that the fans also felt Chael needed to earn it first, and pretty sure that the UFC did not want to give a fighter who popped for steroids and got finished an immediate title shot....

Do you have a source for the UFC wanting to give Chael an immediate rematch...from AFTER his positive results and suspension for crimes? 

The only time I remember Dana saying immediate rematch was before the steroids and felonies...

7/30/12 10:34 AM
SupesUp
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This wasn't a defense of Anderson, what I was trying to get across was that people seem to believe ALL you have to do is yap and you'll find yourself in a title shot. Like just because nick is nick he'll get that shot at Anderson without a fight at middleweight first.
Was just saying chael had to do more than yap to get that fight. He did earn it. Phone Post
7/30/12 10:39 AM
bemsqua
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/30/12 10:41 AM
He also earned it a second time by beating Stann and Bisping.<br /><br />These threads about people coming off losses and getting immediate title shots makes no sense. If Rashad wants to fight Silva, he needs to drop to 185 and get a couple of wins.....same with Diaz. That's like saying Chael should get an immediate shot at Jones if he goes to 205. It doesn't work that way. You should earn your shot at a championship. I think the only exception is if there is a really close championship fight that warrants an immediate rematch.
7/30/12 10:40 AM
noisebully

Whambo - One thing I don't like tho is that it seems like Anderson's camp is deciding who the #1 contender is. It's reminding me of boxing too much.

So Chael wins 2 another fights, and Andersons camp says ok we'll fight him now.. but still Dana had to basically drop a press conference and negotiate 4 hours with Anderson (despite Anderson being under contract) right before the presser before Anderson would agree to the fight.

Now Anderson is saying he won't fight Weidman, he wants to see if Vitor wins his next fight, and GSP is the only fight for him...
well they did tell anderson he would fight in front of 80 000 brazilians. it wen't from that to a local las vegas event. pretty reasonable for me to expect some begging from dana after that massive fuck up.

in the end though, what AS's managers are saying don't mean much and the UFC will ultimately decide who's worthy.
7/30/12 10:40 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

SupesUp -  This wasn't a defense of Anderson, what I was trying to get across was that people seem to believe ALL you have to do is yap and you'll find yourself in a title shot. Like just because nick is nick he'll get that shot at Anderson without a fight at middleweight first.
Was just saying chael had to do more than yap to get that fight. He did earn it. Phone Post

He kinda earned it...it was a combination of both fights and mouth. 

Had he been a boring speaker, who was quiet and patient like Fitch, they may have made him win a few more decisions via blanketing...I mean 'viscious GnP' before giving him a shot. 

Another factor was the lack of contenders back then too. 
7/30/12 10:42 AM
smac 2.0

UGCTT_LnPninja -  You are right that those are two legit wins, despite being terribly not exciting to watch. 

Chael's style is not exciting for most fans. His fights alone would not have gotten him the title shot. Even he admits that no one was paying attention to him until he started calling Silva out and playing the heel. 

who are these "most fans" you speak of? I know very few people who don't like to watch Sonnen fight. We throw a party for most PPV's and Sonnen brings a crowd.
7/30/12 11:02 AM
Whambo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_LnPninja - 

<b>The UFC wanted to put on that the Chael rematch right away, then Anderson's camp said no he needs to earn it first.</b>

Pretty sure that the fans also felt Chael needed to earn it first, and pretty sure that the UFC did not want to give a fighter who popped for steroids and got finished an immediate title shot....

Do you have a source for the UFC wanting to give Chael an immediate rematch...from AFTER his positive results and suspension for crimes? 

The only time I remember Dana saying immediate rematch was before the steroids and felonies...<br type="_moz" /> 

I would have to watch the interview again for the exact quote, but a Soares interview with Helwani before the rematch he talks about how they felt he deserved the rematch after he won those 2 matches, and didn't feel like he deserved it beforehand.

I can't watch it where I am unfortunately, I don't recall if he explicitly says the UFC tried to make this fight happen but they turned it down. Although Helwani may have noted that in the question asked.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.