UnderGround Forums >> Jake Shields on benefits of being a vegetarian

7/30/12 5:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
US Combat Sports
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

US Combat Sports, Owner

By US Combat Sports Reporter Dylan Falduto
---

As Jake Shields continues his move back to middleweight strength training remains a very important part of his rigorous workouts. The Ultimate Fighting Championship contender talked to Dylan Falduto about how an active vegetarian lifestyle has allowed him to successfully compete in multiple divisions.

"Everything is going really good. I'm in the early fight prep. Just doing a lot of fundamental striking and wrestling. Lifting a lot of weights. I am trying to bulk up, because I am moving up a weight class."

Along with strength and conditioning, Shields finds himself eating much more liberally as he prepares for his return as a middleweight. "I work out so much so I have to make sure I eat a lot. I try to eat about six meals a day. I take a couple protein shakes. I use Sun Warrior protein. I drink one shake in the morning and one at night, and just try to eat as much as possible."

For Shields, his decision to partner-up with Sun Warrior came very natural as the company's products provide him the quality of nutrition he demands as a professional athlete, while also abiding by his ethical beliefs as a lifelong vegetarian.

"I am a vegetarian, and mostly vegan; I am not strict on the vegan, but I try to eat a mostly vegan diet. It gets tough using protein, because a lot of them use whey, not to mention a lot of chemicals and all kinds of stuff I don't like putting in my body. Sun Warrior got in touch with my manager, and said they had a product out to try. It's great. It's all vegan, and doesn't have a bunch of additives I don't want in my protein. I started using it, and it is all I have used ever since."

Unlike many vegetarians who face criticism from family for their decision to abstain from eating meat, Shields was blessed with a father who raised him on a plant-based diet.

"Being a vegetarian is great. I have always grown up this way, so it's not even something I really think about too much. I think a lot of people have to make the decision whether they want to do it or not, but for me it's been easy; I never even really thought about eating meat, it's something that always seemed a little gross to me, especially with the way animals are treated and what not. The older I got, the more I started doing a little research, and started realizing all the health benefits as well."

Now Shields says he sees others looking at his success and reconsidering their own lifestyles. "Now that I have done it even longer, everyone is starting to switch my direction and realize that 'Oh it's actually better to be a vegetarian or vegan.' So it's good to see a change in how people view things."

While his peers as a youth criticized his decision to abstain from meat, many of his sparring partners at Caesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu have embraced Jake's plant-based diet. "It's cool a lot of my friends I train with have become either vegan or vegetarian, or at least close to it now. So it's good to see them do something I have been doing for so many years."

While Shields acknowledges the impact he has had in influencing other fighters to convert to a plant-based diet, he also sees the lifestyle gaining popularity within the MMA community, and the influence that others have as well.

"I'm not the only person who has an influence, but I do think I have been a big help, because, at least as far as I know, I was the first vegetarian fighter, and I think the fact that I have been a life-long vegetarian shows that you can actually grow up this way and do fine. I think other athletes started seeing this.

"Guys like Nick Diaz, who did some research on his own, realized he didn't want to eat all this stuff, and he is very strict on his diet. Guys like him, Jon Fitch, more guys started seeing it and switching over, and the more people see successful guys like this doing it, they will realize that they can also be successful doing it."

Along with being raised a vegetarian, Shields was very physically active growing up, something he feels has attributed greatly to his success as a martial artist.

"I grew up about three hours out of the Bay Area, up in the mountains; out in the middle of nowhere. There wasn't a lot to do, and being a kid with a lot of energy, I ended up doing a lot of physical stuff. I got into mountain biking, rock climbing, snowboarding, and I think that all those extreme sports pushed me into the direction of fighting. It isn't a big transition going into fighting when you grew up snowboarding and mountain climbing all the time."

Make sure to check back to US Combat Sports later this week for Part 3 of Dylan Falduto's in-depth interview with Jake Shields. The middleweight contender discusses training alongside other members of the "Skrap Pack" and his dominant BJJ game.

7/30/12 5:32 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
7/30/12 5:34 PM
cjtwich16

Awful Phone Post
7/30/12 5:34 PM
Bobby Lupo
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the Sun Warrior protein too
7/30/12 6:35 PM
mikehotel
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humans are not meant to eat just plants. Phone Post
7/30/12 6:46 PM
RandyDarsh
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Canucks1337 - hes comes off as kinda gay

hmmm explain?
7/30/12 6:48 PM
atrocityexhibit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In before all the irrational vegetarian-hatred. Personally I do eat meat, but I've always been perplexed by how much hate vegetarianism advocates get by the meathead self-styled nutrition experts on MMA sites.
7/30/12 6:50 PM
inf0
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

‎"Most people don't realize this... but you CAN eat organic, gluten-free foods without telling everyone around you."
7/30/12 6:51 PM
random_perv

Bobby Lupo - I like the Sun Warrior protein too
Didn't read does it explain where he gets his protein? Phone Post
inf0
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobby Lupo - I like the Sun Warrior protein too

I use it and I'm not vegetarian... I just hate all of the bullshit ingredients in other proteins.. 

inf0

random_perv - 
Bobby Lupo - I like the Sun Warrior protein too
Didn't read does it explain where he gets his protein? Phone Post

he mentions SW Protein.

7/30/12 6:54 PM
Altofsky
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Certainly hasn't helped his punching ability.
7/30/12 7:00 PM
tjmitchiscool
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inf0 -
Bobby Lupo - I like the Sun Warrior protein too

I use it and I'm not vegetarian... I just hate all of the bullshit ingredients in other proteins.. 

Yes, sunwarrior is legit..I keep this in rotation with an egg protein also Phone Post
7/30/12 7:36 PM
mastertahj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein

(...kind of a smart dude who also didn't have the best stand up...) Phone Post
7/30/12 7:41 PM
T Bag

Shields is by far the weakest professional athlete I have ever seen in the weightroom. I am NOT saying that his vegetarianism is the cause of his weakness, they are probably unrelated. But when he says he is "lifting a lot wieghts" I hope he is serious.
7/30/12 8:21 PM
UGCTT_Romophobia
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ginger ninja is gonna squash his cauliflower! Phone Post
7/30/12 8:36 PM
huggy bear

T Bag - Shields is by far the weakest professional athlete I have ever seen in the weightroom. I am NOT saying that his vegetarianism is the cause of his weakness, they are probably unrelated. But when he says he is "lifting a lot wieghts" I hope he is serious.
Explanation needed because I know guys that are very strong but don't lift weights on a regular basis. Phone Post
7/30/12 8:58 PM
panic686
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mastertahj - "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein

You want us to take health advice from a physicist who isnt well known for his healthy life style and athleticness? Phone Post
7/30/12 9:01 PM
Joe Rogan
1089 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

T Bag - Shields is by far the weakest professional athlete I have ever seen in the weightroom. I am NOT saying that his vegetarianism is the cause of his weakness, they are probably unrelated. But when he says he is "lifting a lot wieghts" I hope he is serious.

That's surprising, because he's ridiculously strong when you grapple with him.  I guess a lot of that can be attributed to technique, but he's very physical in his grappling.
7/30/12 9:05 PM
ChaosOverkill
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Peta bashes anyone who plays with their cat rough on Youtube.
7/30/12 9:32 PM
KC007

I wonder how different, if at all, he'd be in terms of strength if he ate meat. Especially grass fed beef and bison.
7/30/12 9:56 PM
G-Hands
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Rogan - 
T Bag - Shields is by far the weakest professional athlete I have ever seen in the weightroom. I am NOT saying that his vegetarianism is the cause of his weakness, they are probably unrelated. But when he says he is "lifting a lot wieghts" I hope he is serious.

That's surprising, because he's ridiculously strong when you grapple with him.  I guess a lot of that can be attributed to technique, but he's very physical in his grappling.

This.
7/30/12 10:02 PM
slugshot331
276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Might have to check that sn warrior stuff out, whey messes my stomach up.
7/30/12 10:11 PM
mastertahj
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

panic686 -
mastertahj - "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet." - Albert Einstein

You want us to take health advice from a physicist who isnt well known for his healthy life style and athleticness? Phone Post
No, you're right. We should listen to awesome guys that use awesome words!!

'athleticness'

SMH Phone Post
7/30/12 10:18 PM
T Bag

I'm not going to go into details here but Jake's biggest problem is that he had nobody taking ownership over his weight room work and showing him what needs to be done. He's a nice guy and a hard worker so I'm happy that he's committed to the weight room. It WILL help him a lot
And yes, he's an extremely physical grappler, but as Mr. Rogan said a ton of that is technique. I've rolled with some weak motherfuckers who all of a sudden feel like the Incredible Hulk when they get on top of you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.