UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Trap vs Straight Bar Deadlift

7/31/12 9:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Arglebargle
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I deadlift at home with a trap bar. Always have. How much of a difference is it from straight bar as far as poundages go? If I can deadlift 425 with a trap bar how much could I expect to do on a straight bar?
8/1/12 1:06 AM
Arglebargle
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing?
8/1/12 1:17 AM
DaddyO4
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will not be able to do quite as much on straight bar.Probably between 375-400 would be my guess.
8/1/12 5:06 AM
Andy the man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trap Bar is more of a Quad based/Squat replacement piece of equipment/exercise imho.

Prepare to be down about 50kg on your Straight Bar compared to your Trap Bar numbers.
8/1/12 9:23 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually get more glute and hamstring activation using the trap bar. I pull pretty close to the same +/- 5%. There are a lot of factors that go into it, so I think it will be different for everyone.
8/18/12 6:43 PM
KNJacobs
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I prefer straight bar, that being said I can do more with a trap bar. Honestly my reasoning for Deadlift is more of a direct pull (involving more of the back). Trap bar deadllifting feels like more of a squat minus the initial eccentric portion. If I want to squat, I'll just squat honestly.
8/18/12 11:01 PM
banco

I find trap bar deadlifting doesn't translate over much at all to straight bar deadlifting as it takes the back out of it.
8/19/12 8:20 AM
Laval Luc

KNJacobs - I prefer straight bar, that being said I can do more with a trap bar. Honestly my reasoning for Deadlift is more of a direct pull (involving more of the back). Trap bar deadllifting feels like more of a squat minus the initial eccentric portion. If I want to squat, I'll just squat honestly.

I agree
9/5/12 10:08 AM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If someone could embed the video below it shows a good example for those of you who feel quad dominant on trap bar deads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C89yb5lgro&feature=player_embedded

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.