UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Alessio 'super upset' after release from UFC

8/1/12 12:23 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

John Alessio (34-16 MMA, 0-5 UFC) has been cut by the UFC before, but it's his most recent release that particularly stings.

Alessio awoke this morning to find he'd been let go after an 0-2 run in his third stint with the promotion.

"I'm super upset," the 33-year-old vet today told MMAjunkie.com. "I worked so long and so hard to get back, and the UFC always puts all this pressure on you about being exciting, so I tried to change my style up to be crowd-pleasing.

read entire article...

8/1/12 12:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with NPD on this one.  The guy fought his heart out and he's a very exciting fighter.  I don't even know if he lost the Bocek (AKA Boring Bocek ) fight.  I was also there at UFC 148 and he gave Shane a hell of a fight.

I completely disagree with cutting him.  Give him another fight and this time match him up with a striker.

Make it happen Dana, bring Alessio back!

WEC NEV ER DIE!
8/1/12 12:42 AM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with NPD. Phone Post
8/1/12 12:43 AM
Saltyballs
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alessio fan here, but 0-5 in three different UFC stints is hard to overcome no matter how exciting you are.

Especially in an already stacked division like 155. Phone Post
8/1/12 12:45 AM
Willin_But_Not_Chaeble
260 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/01/12 12:50 AM
NarlyPersianDude - I actually hate this move and hate it with intensity. fighting is about matchups and they put him in with guys who will make even the best of fighters look bad. In both his fights with Bocek and Roller, two guys who you should not get cut if you lose too, most of the striking that mattered on the ground or on the feet, was done by him. The only thing those guys did was control position and do very little with it. They manipulated the current way fights are scored, not their fault, it's how they are scored, where over important is based on being on top of a guy than fighting.

And his loss to Roller was real close and Alessio pulled away in the 3rd. And against Bocek, I honestly dont think he lost, I saw the fight as a draw, and again he was the better fighter in the third round. Alessio does not get the logical amount of rope, I mean did they even watch these fights before they cut him? I was more impressed with Alessio than either Roller or Bocek, because Alessio came to fight.

He needs to be put in the ufc and this is should be repead imho.

sign here if you agree with me, reflect and produce

I feel bad that the guy is very upset and I understand the points you made but I must be very honest that I barely remember him fighting Bocek or Roller. I am sure I saw either one or both of those fights. The fact that I can't recall these fights means that I am sure a lot of other people can't either.

I wish him luck in the future.  
8/1/12 12:50 AM
irishrottie
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

never had an easy fight.
8/1/12 1:02 AM
Poindexter
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC sends out mixed messages. If as a fighter you are threatened with being cut after one or two losses then you will most likely fight safe if that can get you the win. Lack of job security doesn't produce more exiting fights, IMO.
8/1/12 1:03 AM
epwar
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

0-2 run this time in the UFC and cut?  Should have been better friends with Lorenzo. ;-)
8/1/12 1:04 AM
Kostakio
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_buchu8oolong - I agree with NPD. Phone Post
. Phone Post
8/1/12 1:15 AM
BaraoKix
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A fringe guy like Alessio, had to have known that he would need to impress, in order to stick around...
8/1/12 1:51 AM
B_Goetz

Edited: 08/01/12 1:52 AM
If he fought more strategically against Roller he could have won. He kept forcing the clinch for some reason, instead of maintaining striking range and exploiting his rather large advantage there. Then he'd get taken down from the clinch and be unable to get up. I don't really buy that he lost because he was trying to make it more exciting. It would have been much more exciting to watch him pick Roller apart with his striking.

I still wish he hadn't been cut, though.
8/1/12 2:11 AM
jtown2
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bad move UFC. Phone Post
8/1/12 2:45 AM
Bipolar

Agree with NPD.

Although I don't buy John's excuse for losing, no way were those two fights grounds for being cut.
8/1/12 3:01 AM
FedorEmilioEstevez
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys like this must hate Dan Hardy Phone Post
8/1/12 3:06 AM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FedorEmilioEstevez -  Guys like this must hate Dan Hardy Phone Post

Well, I like Hardy, but the UFC kept him around because supposedly he comes to fight.  The same argument can be made for Alessio.
8/1/12 3:13 AM
bignightmare
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ring John back. He is a fightrs fighter. He fights on short notice and every guy is a nail. He never turns down an opponent.

BRING HIM BACK
8/1/12 3:23 AM
sparkuri

TRT for the natural. Phone Post
8/1/12 3:46 AM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had the privilege to meet John in Vegas for UFC 148. Really awesome guy who I've been a fan of for a while. He deserves at least one more shot and I don't agree with this cut at all. That being said, whatever he decides to do next, I will follow and support him. Phone Post
8/1/12 3:47 AM
NorthFromHere
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Not surprised. He should've beaten Roller
8/1/12 3:49 AM
Floppy Divac
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is unfortunate. He should still be there for sure.
8/1/12 4:02 AM
NorthFromHere
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
I don't understand why they matched him up with wrestler Roller after Alessio stepped up on short notice against very good grappler in Bocek.
Alessio vs Njokuani, Etim, Taylor etc would've been much better for the fans
8/1/12 4:10 AM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NorthFromHere - I don't understand why they matched him up with wrestler Roller after Alessio stepped up on short notice against very good grappler in Bocek.
Alessio vs Njokuani, Etim, Taylor etc would've been much better for the fans
. Phone Post
8/1/12 4:16 AM
RKing85
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big fan of Alessio, but the bottom line is he is 0-5 in the UFC. Can't expect to still be employed by the UFC when you are winless in 5 UFC fights.
8/1/12 4:28 AM
caseharts
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NarlyPersianDude - I actually hate this move and hate it with intensity. fighting is about matchups and they put him in with guys who will make even the best of fighters look bad. In both his fights with Bocek and Roller, two guys who you should not get cut if you lose too, most of the striking that mattered on the ground or on the feet, was done by him. The only thing those guys did was control position and do very little with it. They manipulated the current way fights are scored, not their fault, it's how they are scored, where over important is based on being on top of a guy than fighting.

And his loss to Roller was real close and Alessio pulled away in the 3rd. And against Bocek, I honestly dont think he lost, I saw the fight as a draw, and again he was the better fighter in the third round. Alessio does not get the logical amount of rope, I mean did they even watch these fights before they cut him? I was more impressed with Alessio than either Roller or Bocek, because Alessio came to fight.

He needs to be put in the ufc and this is should be repead imho.

sign here if you agree with me, reflect and produce
Disagree he was clearly out grappled. Roller had his back for 3 minutes and had multiple sub attempts.

Not saying he should have been cut but do not undermine what both roller and bocek did.

I believe he deserved at least one more.

My 2cents Phone Post
8/1/12 6:38 AM
iodio

He should have been brought to strikeforce.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.