UnderGround Forums

Training and Gear UnderGround >> What are the most important muscle groups for MMA?

8/1/12 2:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GambitGuard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know most of this thread will be opinion based, but I am wondering which muscle groups you think are the most important to train with MMA. I know every muscle in the body is important, but with all weight cutting and things that go on these days you can't have too much unnecessary muscle in a muscle group that you will hardly use in a fight. 

So in your guys opinions what are they? 

Thanks in advanced.
8/1/12 11:27 PM
pcuzz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Core strength is most important. As for actual muscles I would say it depends on your style of fighting.
8/5/12 2:41 PM
ChrisBeyondStrength

Think movements, not muscles.  I understand what you're getting at, but as soon as you start training in terms of compartmentalizing the human body you're ignoring the performance aspect.

You have the ability to push, pull, hinge, squat, loaded carry, jump, twist, and throw.  None of these can be trained properly if you break them down too much in terms of muscles involved.

Here is a basic template to follow for getting you started (very basic):

After the warm-ups

A1. some type of medicine ball throw, plyos, oly lifts, etc... performed with low repetitions and maximum velocity
A2. core stability drills (plank variations, glute bridge variations, pallof press variations, loaded carries, etc...)

B1. your main compound strength movement for the day (deadlift, squat, bench, loaded pull-ups, or their variations)
B2. some type of filler (myofascial release, core stability, mobility, something that won't negatively impact your core lift for the day, etc...)

From here it gets pretty flexible depending your individual goals.  Working on strength/hypertrophy?  That will change the reps/set/rest and you will more than likely focus on assistance lifts.  Is conditioning your main goal?  HIIT may be a good fit and should be ramped up and deloaded in a fashion that will have you peaking for your fight/match.  It's all unique to the individual.

Hope this helps.  It's merely a skeleton...  If you have questions I'd love to help.

Check out www.beyondstrengthperformance.com for some of my blog posts and stuff that may help as well...

Best,

Chris

8/5/12 6:16 PM
Rasmus

Look up exercises that strengthens your core. Start using kettle bells.
8/16/12 5:42 PM
GambitGuard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good information, thanks a lot every body.
8/22/12 5:57 PM
UFCfan1002
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/22/12 6:02 PM
ChrisBeyondStrength sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

I'm following an awesome strength and conditioning program by a S&C coach for UFC fighters (Mark Bocek and Claude Patrick) and he also says it's about training movements, not muscle groups. In fact, if you train muscle groups in isolation, you may gain unnecessary muscle mass, which may slow you down.

According to his program, the main movement patterns you want to train are:

1.) Squat
2.) Bend (Deadlift
3.) Lunge
4.) Twist (e.g. woodchop)
5.) Push - horizontal & vertical (e.g. bench press, push press)
6.) Pull (horizontal and vertical (e.g. 1-arm row, chin-up)
7.) Gait (walking, running)

I love the program and recommend it highly, as I've had great results. My conditioning is crazy and my sparring has come on leaps and bounds as a result. I paid $77 for it, but if you want to sign up for his freebie starter version, you can do it here:

http://www.bestmmaworkout.com
8/27/12 2:30 AM
Jacobb Garcia

Nice post, the information helped me aswell haha
thanks to everyone that responded to him!
9/10/12 4:31 PM
mdfmma123
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/7/13 11:47 AM
KingGo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/14/13 10:43 PM
Chael Sonnen Money
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/15/13 3:44 PM
X_Rated
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly, BACK and NECK holy shit.. because other than your knees those are things that will go first lol

1/18/13 1:54 PM
rhino x2
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In
1/19/13 8:01 PM
jasonhightower
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
1/20/13 11:15 PM
leftlegtrumpcard
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.