UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Matthew Saad Muhammad

8/2/12 12:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
youngcorbett
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was watching the Glen Johnson vs Tavoris Cloud match on youtube today, and I noticed that Max Kellerman said that Cloud was fighting like Matthew Saad Muhammad, and the way it came across was in a negative way.

So I did some searching on Saad Muhammad and he seemed like a really good fighter. I know there are a few guys on here that known a ton about some of these older fighters, especially the light heavys from the 1970's, and I was wondering what some of you thought of Saad Muhammad as a fighter.
8/2/12 4:57 AM
Chappie
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cloud would be a hell of a lot better fighter if he could actually fight like Matthew Saad Muhammad. MSM competed in a much better era than Cloud has and beat Yaqui Lopez, Marvin Johnson and a host of other tough fighters. Perhaps Kellerman was referring to Cloud possessing a MSM propensity for taking punishment before coming on, MSM was known taking loads of punishment before staging Auturo Gatti like comebacks. Phone Post
8/2/12 12:31 PM
martinburke
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He started out as more of a boxer, but after losing decisions that he thought he should have won (against Mate Parlov and Eddie Gregory IIRC), he decided he would fight more aggressively and go for KOs.

Saad, Galindez, Conteh, Mustafa Muhammad(Gregory), Marvin Johnson, Yaqui Lopez et al...that group of light heavies was probably the best era since @ 1950.

I think Michael Spinks and Qawi were fortunate to come in on the tail end of it when the majority of those guys were a bit past it.

8/3/12 7:43 AM
Poncey
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In the battle of Muhammed's, he lost.

But seriously, he beat arguably our greatest LHW ever in Conteh. Altho he was more interested in pussy and champagne by then, than boxing.
8/3/12 11:10 AM
martinburke
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Conteh was whose greatest LHW ever?

8/10/12 9:46 PM
pharochuck
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
martinburke - He started out as more of a boxer, but after losing decisions that he thought he should have won (against Mate Parlov and Eddie Gregory IIRC), he decided he would fight more aggressively and go for KOs.

Saad, Galindez, Conteh, Mustafa Muhammad(Gregory), Marvin Johnson, Yaqui Lopez et al...that group of light heavies was probably the best era since @ 1950.

I think Michael Spinks and Qawi were fortunate to come in on the tail end of it when the majority of those guys were a bit past it.

spinks maybe. but qawi would have been a bad matchup for those guys.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.