UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The REAL Signature Moves of Lyoto Machida

8/2/12 11:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
1657 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/02/12 12:06 PM

Hey guys,
I got some requests to have a look at some more Lyoto techniques before the fight with Bader so I have done so!  The UFC also released a hype video called "Lyoto Machida's Signature Moves" which only really talked about the crane kick and other one off moves, so I thought I'd show up their producer a little bit for obviously scripting what could have been a great segment with Lyoto talking about his own techniques in his own words. 

As always all critique is much welcomed and I hope you don't mind clicking the link!

Cheers,
Jack

Last week the UFC released an official video called "The Signature Moves of Lyoto Machida", which consisted of Machida talking through some of his memorable techniques inside the UFC. Unfortunately, most of this was clearly Lyoto reading off of a card, through a list of random moments compiled by a clueless producer. Everyone remembers Lyoto Machida's diving knockout of Thiago Silva and his Mae-Tobi-Geri knockout of Randy Couture - but these aren't signature moves. Machida's crane kick was phenomenal yes, but it was a one off technique and to a degree it was a gamble, not something he uses routinely. His diving knockout of Thiago Silva was anything but a signature move because it would be almost impossible for Lyoto to replicate it.

Flashy techniques are not normally the ones that make a fighter great. It is the subtle, annoying techniques that off-balance opponents and allow Machida to obtain dominant position that make the difference in his fights.

In today's Judo Chop we will examine some of the REAL signature techniques of Lyoto Machida. While I will not pretend that I am a karate master, I have trained Shotokan Karate (Machida's style) since I was 6 years old, and have trained with many of the all time greats in this discipline such as Koji Ogata (famously beat Chinzo Machida in the finals of the world championships), Yukko Takahashi and the legendary Masahiko Tanaka. 

The movements presented here are techniques which Lyoto uses in almost every fight to fluster his opponents, not one off tactics used to create a hype video. There are a great many subtleties to Lyoto's game, but we'll look at two of his more unique techniques today. Both techniques will be easily visible in more than a handful of his fights.

Outside Calf Kick

This technique has been used in almost every single one of Lyoto Machida's matches but goes largely un-noticed. As a southpaw, Lyoto will always want to get his lead foot outside of an orthodox opponent's lead foot, to give him a better chance of landing his left straight, left knee or left roundhouse kick. The way Machida often accomplishes this is to kick the opponent's calf with his lead leg. This acts to check the opponent from stepping outward, but may also off-balance them for his strike. In order to avoid being off-balanced the opponent must set their weight, keeping them in position as Machida throws his follow up attack.

Notice in this storyboard from his bout with Randy Couture, Lyoto uses his lead leg to kick the calf of Couture. This kick is far too low for Randy to catch and is used frequently by Lyoto and Anderson Silva to avoid takedowns. Notice in the third still (bottom left) that Lyoto's foot returns to the ground outside of Couture's and Lyoto immediately lands his left straight before circling out to his right (bottom right still). Couture is by no means a bad boxer, and embarrassed Vitor Belfort by keeping his lead leg outside of Vitor's in their bouts, so he knows the importance of not conceding dominant foot position. Yet Machida took a dominant angle with ease using this technique. Notice how in the last Frame Machida's dominant angle makes it easy for his right hand to come across and parry Couture's counter punch.

Here are two instances of Lyoto using this technique against Rashad Evans. He used the low calf kick several times on it's own in this match, but he also used it to set up a nice middle kick which was muffled by Rashad charging in (top two stills). In the bottom two stills you can see what happens when the opponent does not set his weight against the seemingly weak kick that I'm sure most have barely noticed in Lyoto's fights. Lyoto kicks Rashad's lead leg across Rashad's rear leg, making it impossible for Evans to strike back as Lyoto dives in with a left straight. These fast two part combinations done in one motion are part of Lyoto's largely under-rated and effective offense. Notice that in both instances, Lyoto's lead foot lands outside of Rashad's - giving him a dominant angle.

Continues with a second, more powerful technique at: 

8/2/12 11:55 AM
Soup Nazi
828 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome stuffs, as always!
8/2/12 12:05 PM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My all time favorite:

8/2/12 12:24 PM
NiteProwleR
741 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was so pissed they didn't include the sweeps. Clearly didn't do their homework, thanks for this!
8/2/12 12:26 PM
kao
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i can't believe how can anybody say he is boring early on with the technique he has shown. WHAT IS BORING ABOUT him early on people??
8/2/12 12:28 PM
Jack Slack
1657 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kao - i can't believe how can anybody say he is boring early on with the technique he has shown. WHAT IS BORING ABOUT him early on people??

So true. I find Chris Leben much less exciting than Machida.
8/2/12 12:31 PM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jack Slack is top 3 P4P on the UG. MMA sites need less editorials and more of the kind of interesting, unique, well thought-out analysis he provides.
8/2/12 12:32 PM
UGCTT_BBQ at Andy's
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd for later. Thanks! Phone Post
8/2/12 12:37 PM
Jack Slack

fryingarmbar - Jack Slack is top 3 P4P on the UG. MMA sites need less editorials and more of the kind of interesting, unique, well thought-out analysis he provides.

Thanks man.

The lack of interest from major MMA sites in proper analysis is getting to be a bit depressing for me =/
8/2/12 12:41 PM
Kingtony87
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolutely love machida, was crushed to see him choked unconscious. I hope starting saturday he is able to to another impressive streak together Phone Post
8/2/12 12:41 PM
UGCTT_chuckles1
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
8/2/12 12:46 PM
ranier wolfcastle
633 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i love when he punches while stepping in for a trip. hes tossed many that way
8/2/12 12:48 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
8/2/12 1:20 PM
OshKos B'Josh All American Blanket

Good stuff!! Phone Post
8/2/12 2:27 PM
GrayKickass
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love this!

With Machida being such a unique striker, it's awesome that we get a detailed breakdown of his techniques! Huge fan of your work bro, look forward to read more.
8/2/12 3:00 PM
Chris SK
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Epic...thanks Jack Phone Post
8/2/12 3:29 PM
Themanders1

TTT
8/2/12 3:37 PM
Tubarao

more more!
8/2/12 3:44 PM
Missing Glove Tape

My favorite:

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/273199/2agw0lj.gif

Comparison to a shotokan legend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38XQJgK7W0
8/2/12 3:50 PM
Brian Rule
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/02/12 3:51 PM
awesome stuff

for MGT:

8/2/12 4:48 PM
Jack Slack

Cheers MGT and Brian - I wish I'd had the chance to train with Enoeda while he was alive. My first Sensei (who has been a friend and huge influence throughout my life) was a one time student of Enoeda.
8/2/12 6:12 PM
G-Hands
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome stuff as usual.

the only thing I would change is to edit the "clueless producer" part. seems to be an unnecessary slam on the dude. there are nicer ways to say the same thing. :)

but back to the topic of the content of your writings... thanks for continuing to do these and post them. good reads.
8/2/12 6:17 PM
random_muppett
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later...,when I think Machida sig moves I think about the leg sweep. Phone Post
8/2/12 6:36 PM
ranier wolfcastle
633 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/2/12 6:40 PM
cheech
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

t

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.