UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Jesus and the WEALTHY.

8/2/12 9:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://whatwoulddemido.blogspot.com/

DO NOT HATE...

Unless U want too...
8/2/12 10:31 PM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/02/12 10:42 PM
I particularly like your take on the "righteousness game".
8/3/12 12:01 AM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demetrius, how poor is poor enough? Serious question, I'm not being sarcastic or trying to start a debate. I know the rev has said similar things here as well and I have asked him the same. How poor do we have to be before we are not considered wealthy?

On your blog you have a video of a man playing an electric guitar. Those cost money, is it OK to have an electric guitar? The video is posted on YouTube, is it OK to have a laptop or personally owned PC at home? Couldn't the funds used to buy the guitar or the computer or pay for Internet service have been put to better use buying a homeless person new shoes and a couple week's worth of food?

Is it OK to own an automobile? As long as it's used? Or should we all take public transportation? What if there is no public transportation in our town, how would we get food to those who need it? If we are poor, how do we even get food or clothing to give to the poor-er and the homeless?

How broke does a person have to be before they're not part of the clique of rich people who are going to hell and suffer God's wrath?
8/3/12 6:26 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is my answer.

When you have no concern about the purchases you make or how you spend your money BECAUSE you will suffer no negative financial ramifications - YOU ARE WEALTHY.

I was there once. I could buy anything, even houses, without giving it a thought.

I'm not talking about MONEY. Jesus wasn't talking about MONEY. I'm speaking directly to HOARDED WEALTH.

I don't mean comparitive or subjective wealth. I mean:

I have so much money I can order lobster every night, with champage at $250 a bottle, and tip twice the cost of the meal AND NEVER FEEL IT FINANCIALLY.

I mean buying new clothes every week. I mean buying a new car (cash) every year. I mean buying $300 sunglasses. I mean buying a 1K watch every couple of months.

This type of WEALTH literally REMOVES you from the rest of the human race.

When my new wife and I rejoined everyone it was awesome. She called it "Leaving the Matrix".
8/4/12 12:25 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demitrius Barbito -  Here is my answer.

When you have no concern about the purchases you make or how you spend your money BECAUSE you will suffer no negative financial ramifications - YOU ARE WEALTHY.

I was there once. I could buy anything, even houses, without giving it a thought.

I'm not talking about MONEY. Jesus wasn't talking about MONEY. I'm speaking directly to HOARDED WEALTH.

I don't mean comparitive or subjective wealth. I mean:

I have so much money I can order lobster every night, with champage at $250 a bottle, and tip twice the cost of the meal AND NEVER FEEL IT FINANCIALLY.

I mean buying new clothes every week. I mean buying a new car (cash) every year. I mean buying $300 sunglasses. I mean buying a 1K watch every couple of months.

This type of WEALTH literally REMOVES you from the rest of the human race.

When my new wife and I rejoined everyone it was awesome. She called it "Leaving the Matrix".
Most of us are comparatively wealthy considering world average. Own a car? Have a house that has a concrete foundation and made of cut wood? Able to type words on a forum? Most are in the top 20% worldwide here I would guess. Even if only in the top 60% we still have more than many.

Jesus

Told a woman caught in the act of adultery that he didn't condemn her

Forgave people throwing dice for his clothes who weren't looking for forgiveness

Said salvation had come to a man who was willing to give everything he had to the poor

Who went to hell? A rich man who overlooked a poor man. A rich man that when asked what he would do with all his extra food said he would build another barn instead of feeding the hungry...Jesus said death was coming to him

This seems to anger God more than anything. The lack of love and compassion we have been infected with due to our selfish impatient attitude resulting from our hurry hurry hurry culture...me me me me Phone Post
8/4/12 12:32 AM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is nothing wrong with prosperity. God WANTS us to prosper! Otherwise, he wouldn't have set it up for us to "test me in this and see if your vats and baskets and crops aren't full to over flowing" (I'm paraphrasing). Many scriptures promise material Blessings contingent on obedience....

But why?

So we can share with others who are less fortunate!!!!

I am so sick of preachers only telling half the story, "selling in God's house" and treating God like our little spiritual genie. "do this, and you can have this"

"you do not have because you do not ask...or when you ask, you ask with wrong motives so you can SPEND IT ON YOUR SELFISH PLEASURES" Phone Post
8/4/12 12:41 AM
DyingBreed

"depart from me, for I never knew you"

In Jeremiah, the question is asked "is this not what it means to know me?" and he is talking about nothing more than generous distribution of surplus to those who have not.

Isaiah 58 covers this subject beautifully...the whole chapter

God could care less about mans attempt to be holy by their own will...he is more concerned about your heart.

I can see why your wife compared letting go of "stuff" to waking up from the matrix. We have lost sight of what really matters to God. EVERYTHING we "own" here is not ours anyway...we are stewards of God's wealth, and it would anger me too if I entrusted an allotted amount of whatever to someone to help make life better for everyone, then come by to see how things are going only to find they have acquired and acquired, only for themselves, while beggars and the hurt lay outside our gold plated gates Phone Post
8/4/12 12:42 AM
DyingBreed

Sorry for the FRAT rant, but this reminded me of something that is growing closer to my heart day by day. Phone Post
8/4/12 12:14 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Good points DyingBreed.
8/4/12 2:57 PM
Grakman

So you're saying it's not wealth itself, it's what you do with it? We don't have to sell *everything* we have and give it to the poor?

Demetrius, how did you leave the matrix, as you've described it? Did you lose your fortune, give it away, stop spending so frivolously or something else?
8/4/12 4:30 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Jesus always condemed the HOARDING of wealth. I know someone who makes over a million a year BUT only keeps $85K. He creates wealth BUT does not keep it. The ability to do this is a gift.

When my new wife and I were married a few years back she moved into a mansion AND A WHOLE NEW LIFESTYLE.

By the Grace of God we we coiming to an understanding that we had WAY TO MUCH. God worked in both of our heart in the same way at the same time.

We made a decision to rejoin the human race (my blog posy describes some of this).

We gave away, we sold the house and gave away the profit, we got rid of the abundance of possions. We severed connection with wealthy/manipulative people and THEN WE TRIED TO HELP OTHERS DO THE SAME. 

We are still on this campaign. We have been gifted with a sense of enough. We have also been shown the power that money has TO BLIND YOU TO THE POWER THAT IS HAS TO BLIND YOU.

My blog post shows you what Jesus and the bible say about wealth. I have come to idetify myself with those teaches through the work of the Holy Spirit.
8/4/12 6:07 PM
DyingBreed

"Jesus always condemed the HOARDING of wealth. I know someone who makes over a million a year BUT only keeps $85K. He creates wealth BUT does not keep it. The ability to do this is a gift."

SO much good can be done in a situation like that. And I am sure God is pleased with it. And he doesn't have to suffer for doing good! The church in the past has glorified being poor. "oh lord, I just want enough to get by" ...ok, if you barely have enough for yourself, how are u supposed to bless others in this way?

No, God wants us to use the wealth he has to bring joy and love to others....and this goes WAY beyond just money Phone Post
8/4/12 7:52 PM
Demitrius Barbito

My upbringing. About two blocks from Disneyland.
8/5/12 10:00 PM
DyingBreed

Is that a vid you made? I'm going to read your blogs as soon as I get ample time. You and I so far seem to be on the same page Phone Post
8/5/12 10:04 PM
DyingBreed

"Christianity is so misunderstood and, sometimes, intentionally misrepresented. I'll be attempting to come from the most empathetic yet truthful perspective I can muster... BEWARE - I'm exceedingly ready to give to every man an answer for the hope that lies within me... BUT, like all other persons, I can only be self aware to a limited degree."

Already like your style lol Phone Post
8/5/12 10:11 PM
DyingBreed

Bookmarked your blogs and read the first few paragraphs of Jesus and the wealthy. So far, you are an exact reflection of how I see things now. Only recently have I come to realize just how I have overlooked the hurting in my own pursuit of God, and I'm on the path of repentance now....

Thanks for posting this here and adding only further confirmation that I have heard his voice in this direction Phone Post
8/5/12 11:12 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Thanks brother.

I meet like minded Christians only "once in a while".

Still - More and more all the time...

Recently I've met a few more at the gym... We speak openly ( and loudly) about our faith and have had many join us in recent days...
8/6/12 5:27 PM
Demitrius Barbito

And yes THAT'S ME in the video. I'm also the guitar guy in the others...
8/6/12 11:30 PM
DyingBreed

You got some good shredding going on there buddy! I play as well. Acoustic, I write my own stuff, fingerpicking folk type mostly. Electric, death metal all the way, lol

I like you bro. Simply put. Haven't read much yet, but plan to, and seems like we have been down similar roads. Keep me in prayer please....I need it. The spirit will guide you on how I'm sure. Phone Post
8/7/12 12:06 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Do the same for me.
8/7/12 11:02 PM
DyingBreed

Demitrius Barbito -  Do the same for me.
Will do Phone Post
8/8/12 12:11 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw your post on Rush Limbaugh. Now, I am a listener but not a huge fan. You cited no specific point or thing he said. I don't know why you even included him in your post other than to appear 'rational'.
8/8/12 7:41 PM
Demitrius Barbito

zealot66 -  I saw your post on Rush Limbaugh. Now, I am a listener but not a huge fan. You cited no specific point or thing he said. I don't know why you even included him in your post other than to appear 'rational'.

The inertia behind his basic rhetoric is swallowed whole by the Christian right like "cumming for sharks". Christians think rush is pro christian values.

Many think he represents what's good and moral and ethical about this country.

He doesn't.
8/9/12 12:48 AM
Grakman

Not sure what you're trying to say there, Demetrius. The 'inertia' behind his rhetoric - the lack of motion behind his rhetoric? Lack of energy or change? Stasis? Can you explain please?

Is there a political commentator in the public arena that you feel does represent or push real Christian values?

And I think you mean 'chumming for sharks,' not, er 'cumming' for sharks, unless I'm missing the innuendo?
8/9/12 10:49 AM
Demitrius Barbito

Chumming.

"""Is there a political commentator in the public arena that you feel does represent or push real Christian values?"""

No. They are all 1000 miles away from actual Christianity on either side. Even the libertarians. This is exemplified simply by having "political views are the driving force of your heart".

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.