UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Humiliation lit a fire under Vera

8/3/12 9:54 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Few give UFC on Fox 4 headliner Brandon Vera much of a chance against former champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, but UFC President Dana White thinks "The Truth" might be primed to offer a big surprise.

"This guy has been publicly smashed by the fans, the media — I mean everybody is just hammering this guy," White said. "That's the type of thing that motivates a guy. Before Thursday's press conference, he told me, 'Thank you so much for this opportunity. I have never, ever been this motivated. I've never had so many people talk so much trash about me.' "

"It's all about opportunities in life. Every once in a while, a great opportunity comes along, and you have to go grab it. I think the opportunity and the humiliation of people saying 'you don't deserve it' has lit a fire under that kid."

"The UFC gave me a great opportunity," Vera said. "People wait their whole lives for a moment like this — one moment — and it's been given to me. I'm not going to squander this. I'm not going to throw it away."

Brandon Vera fights Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua in the co-main event at UFC on FOX 4, Saturday night, livev on PPV. Also appearing at the top of the card is Lyoto Machida vs. Ryan Bader. White has said previously that whoever wins "most impressively" Saturday gets the title shot against the winner of September's Jon Jones vs. Dan Henderson.

Read entire article...

8/3/12 9:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
REALLYBIGRHINO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck yea brandon
8/3/12 10:00 AM
ShadoKhan
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wish I could believe him!!
8/3/12 10:07 AM
TheEssence
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate hearing a fighter say "I've never been this motivated"

You should be motivated each and every fuckin' fight. Don't give me that nonsense. Phone Post
8/3/12 10:11 AM
zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheEssence -  I hate hearing a fighter say "I've never been this motivated"

You should be motivated each and every fuckin' fight. Don't give me that nonsense. Phone Post
You would make a swell coach. I want guys to believe that their current fight is the most focused they've ever been and the best training camp they've ever had. Doubt is an assassin.
8/3/12 10:52 AM
Injury_Duty
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/12 10:54 AM
 Best case scenario for Vera, he puts on a great showing in his up coming loss to Shogun.  

...because he gonna lose. lol

8/3/12 10:54 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShadoKhan -  wish I could believe him!!
He Phone Post
8/3/12 10:56 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Vera puts a beating on Shogun Phone Post
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FFS, I was going to say, he has a decent chance in the stand-up but as soon as it hits the deck it's all over I think. Would like to see Vera do well, but this isn't the first time he's said it would be different. Phone Post
Bry Bry

yeah we have heard this too many times from vera..he needs to go out and prove he cares about his career..i remember after his last few losses when he was standing in the octagon he was smiling and acting as if he didnt cared..WTF..
8/3/12 10:59 AM
SickEyeDiaz
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - I hope Vera puts a beating on Shogun Phone Post
This. Phone Post
8/3/12 11:02 AM
rezzz
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll believe it when i see it, it's the same story every time he tries to make a comeback.

Dude hasn't had a win against a top opponent since Mir in 2006.

Dana his trying to hype the fight of course, just doing his job. But it's still puzzling to see Vera fighting in the main event for a possible title shot. It's going to be interesting to see how that mess plays out after Saturday.
8/3/12 11:09 AM
jjj2121

Same thing every fight from Brandon...THIS is the time he is taking it seriously....NOW he is motivated, it will be different this time.

Then he goes out and doesn't throw anything and looks generally disinterested.

I want to believe, but I can't.  No more believing the hype, believing what I see.  What I see is not good, and hasn't been for a long long long time.
8/3/12 11:46 AM
MattyECB
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only way I could imagine Vera winning is if Shogun doesn't respect him at all, does real lazy standup and Vera manages some early shot to hurt him badly.

Course that's as likely as my balls falling off, becoming sentient and murdering Soares
8/3/12 12:17 PM
TheEssence
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zedlepln -
TheEssence -  I hate hearing a fighter say "I've never been this motivated"

You would make a swell coach. I want guys to believe that their current fight is the most focused they've ever been and the best training camp they've ever had. Doubt is an assassin.
I completely get what you are saying. I wasn't trying to come off as an asshole. My interpretation was that there were fights that he wasn't motivated..and to me, that's ridiculous. Phone Post
8/3/12 12:27 PM
tenchu

ShadoKhan -  wish I could believe him!!

You doubt The Truth is speaking the turth?
It's his last name!
8/3/12 12:28 PM
inf0
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love these story lines designed to get people believing these crappy match-ups are better than they are.

8/3/12 12:29 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
Hard to root against either fighter.
8/3/12 12:31 PM
ABE FROMAN

The fact that he is putting so much on it means he won't have a choice but to retire after Shogun puts it on him.

8/3/12 12:36 PM
Poindexter
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DoomFarmer -  I haven't hear this 6 times before regarding Vera or anything.

This is definitely the first and only time. Phone Post

Exactly. Why is this even an article? It's gag-worthy.
8/3/12 12:41 PM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

augiemax.com
He's going to kick Shogun in the reconstructed knees.
8/3/12 12:41 PM
lyonsden

Brandon Vera fights Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua in the co-main event at UFC on FOX 4, Saturday night, livev on PPV.

So....FOX is running livev PPV events now?
8/3/12 12:47 PM
Right Hand JO Power
1137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's just like Randleman and Rampage....I'm this and I'm that, motivated, reinvented, charged up, going to win, going to get the title, blah, blah, blah, then they put on another unmotivated lackluster performance. Dana may buy their bullshit, but I'm tired of hearing it. Phone Post
8/3/12 12:48 PM
rockemsockem
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta feeling vera's gonna surprise a few people, hard to bet against shogun though Phone Post
8/3/12 12:50 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is just trying his best to hype the fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.