UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Melvin Guillard: 'I'm glad MVA is gone'

8/3/12 3:43 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1027 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

When Glenn Robinson of Authentic Sports Management created the Blackzilians, he installed former Div I national champion, pioneering MMA fighter, and trainer Mike Van Arsdale as head coach. Van Arsdale recently announced he was leaving the Blackzilians, and would return to his family in Arizona.

Now Melvin Guillard, who himself left Jackson's MMA for the Blackzilians, says he is not sorry to see Van Arsdale go.

“I’m glad he’s gone,” Melvin Guillard deadpanned during Friday’s media call. “I told Glenn when I first got here, the guy wasn’t a head coach. No disrespect to coach Van Arsdale, but he was never a head coach at Jackson’s. I knew the real Van Arsdale before I got here, but everybody really started being hard on the guy, but I knew the real guy.

“It’s kinda hard to learn how to be a champion from a guy who never was a champion, or a guy who was basically brought to the UFC as a set-up fight. I just never had that level of respect for him. The way he would talk to guys on the team and he felt like he was this big superstar, but I knew the real Van Arsdale.”

“Coach Mario is a very, very big addition to the team. His MMA skills are better than anybody’s all-around MMA skills I’ve ever met. He’s that great of a guy, not just as a coach, but as an individual. He’s a quiet, humble guy. He doesn’t talk much about himself. He wants you to just come in the gym and work hard. That’s it.”

Read entire article...

8/3/12 3:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Synado
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When comparing anyone to Mario Sperry, they are going to come up short.
8/3/12 3:49 PM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does Greg Jackson have a bunch of title belts hidden somewhere?
8/3/12 3:50 PM
Zomby

This is the reason why Melvin will never be a champion.
8/3/12 3:51 PM
Gokudamus stole my name
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"he way he would talk to guys on the team and he felt like he was this big superstar"

Reminds me of someone i saw on TUF season 2
8/3/12 3:53 PM
mmavixen
1112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sperry sounds like a great guy to head the Blackzilians.
8/3/12 3:53 PM
ABE FROMAN

Also, the assistant coach is someone that got KO'd by Leben, Belcher and Stann? You don't have respect for MVA?
8/3/12 3:54 PM
cool hand Ed
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I support MVA and can't think of any way to speak about Melvin that isn't fighter bashing. I'll leave it at that.
8/3/12 3:55 PM
LucasBTiger
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN -  Does Greg Jackson have a bunch of title belts hidden somewhere?[/quote

All that needs be said...
TheKidAintMine
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Van Arsdale has been involved in MMA far longer than just 8 years. He fought in IVC in Brazil back in 1998. He got soccer kicked in the head by Wand in IVC 6.

And what is Melvin talking about when he says it's hard to learn how to be a champ from a guy who was never a champ? Did Guillard have any issues training with Greg Jackson? Jackson has never been an MMA champ. GSP has no problems training with Firaz and Firaz has never been an MMA champ.
Kostakio
435 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool hand Ed - I support MVA and can't think of any way to speak about Melvin that isn't fighter bashing. I'll leave it at that.
This. Phone Post
8/3/12 3:57 PM
SleepBomb

and this is why i like seeing him get his ass beat.  you think all that choking would stop him from yapping so much.
8/3/12 3:59 PM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 08/03/12 4:02 PM
 “It’s kinda hard to learn how to be a champion from a guy who never was a champion"

8/3/12 4:01 PM
Acidic

lol @ melvin

Being a fighter doesnt mean you know whats right or wrong in MMA, training and etc. Fighter opinions are often vaulted above everyone elses but if you hear guys like Melvin talk you begin to think about how foolish most or some of them sound.

Being a great coach and leader comes from within. The ability to rally and teach youre students isnt always taught on the battle field. Its often taught from seeing it from the outside and learning from it. Many great coaches have no experience in MMA yet they know how to be great coaches. Most where never champions or legends but they know how to make champions and legends. I dont know how MVA was or is but Melvin comes off as an ignorant person as he has always come off as. Goes to show you can fight for 10 years and still learn nothing about it.
8/3/12 4:06 PM
UGCTT croy_00
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wes_Mantooth - What has Melvin accomplished?

11-6 in the UFC's deepest division....not nearly as impressive as your 1-0 record with pwning noobs on the internet, from your mothers basement, on your sisters old shitty laptop.
8/3/12 4:14 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/03/12 4:16 PM
TheKidAintMine - Van Arsdale has been involved in MMA far longer than just 8 years. He fought in IVC in Brazil back in 1998. He got soccer kicked in the head by Wand in IVC 6.

And what is Melvin talking about when he says it's hard to learn how to be a champ from a guy who was never a champ? Did Guillard have any issues training with Greg Jackson? Jackson has never been an MMA champ. GSP has no problems training with Firaz and Firaz has never been an MMA champ.

This and add onto the fact that he was an NCAA DIVISION I NATIONAL CHAMPION AT IOWA STATE.  That's no big deal though. 
8/3/12 4:15 PM
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio - 
cool hand Ed - I support MVA and can't think of any way to speak about Melvin that isn't fighter bashing. I'll leave it at that.
This. Phone Post

and triple. 
8/3/12 4:26 PM
Fabes
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Greg Jackson, Mario Sperry, Ricardo Liborio, Javier Mendez, Bob Cook, Dave Camarillo and Cesar Gracie were great UFC Champions.

Oh wait...

War Cerrone! Phone Post
8/3/12 4:56 PM
PJ Benn Fan

Melvin can say what he likes but it wasnt Van Arsdales fault he snorted coke before the Stevenson fight or that he completely and obviously took JLau too lightly and got subbed in a minute.

Melvin, those are the types of reasons you will never be a champ. Not because the wrestling coach wasnt one.

Fucking dolt.

8/3/12 5:02 PM
abi
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PJ Benn Fan - Melvin can say what he likes but it wasnt Van Arsdales fault he snorted coke before the Stevenson fight or that he completely and obviously took JLau too lightly and got subbed in a minute.

Melvin, those are the types of reasons you will never be a champ. Not because the wrestling coach wasnt one.

Fucking dolt.

ditto! Phone Post
8/3/12 5:03 PM
ILoveWatchingJonesBoneShogun

Melvin Guillard has never beaten a top 5 fighter, forget the champ talk. He isn't even in contention and never will be
8/3/12 5:04 PM
ABE FROMAN

Edited: 08/03/12 5:05 PM
Melvin has the tools, always has, that's what's so frustrating about watching him fight. Part brillance, part knuckleheadedness.

His attitude is the problem.

I hope Sperry can whip him into shape. 
8/3/12 5:06 PM
torquemada
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love how he started with "no disrespect" and proceeded to disrespect him. Phone Post
8/3/12 5:09 PM
inf0
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Melvin will never be champ.
8/3/12 5:11 PM
PJ Benn Fan

ABE FROMAN - Melvin has the tools, his attitude is the problem. I hope Sperry can whip him into shape.

Stupid comments like these about MVA kinda show Melvin hasnt really matured much over the years.
Not recognizing that hes been a mental midget and instead blaming the wrestling coach never having been a UFC champ proves this.

Otherwise his comments would be something along the lines of:

"I am the one holding myself back. Not MVA, not Greg Jackson.
Me not being a champion by now falls on my shoulders because I have just been too immature to take in and appreciate everything and everyone I have in my life to enhance my career.
But I recognize that now and I am not taking anyone lightly and every single thing every single coach teaches me will be drilled until i have that fucking belt around my waist. And then it will be drilled some more to keep it there."

The above would show Melvin truly maturing!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.