UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Dustin Pague's Prep for UFC 150 and Squats

8/3/12 5:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChrisBeyondStrength
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's up Undergrounders? Chris Merritt here, head strength coach of Beyond Strength Performance NOVA. Just wanted to get you guys to check out some of Dustin Pague's train-up videos for UFC 150 where he'll be fighting Chico Camus in the first or second bout of the night.

The second video will hopefully provide a good laugh if nothing else.

He's really looking to make-up for the Ken Stone fight, he'll be approaching this one with some fire looking for that finish again.

After that, scroll on down and check out my write-up on progressing the squat for MMA.

I finally decided to get on here and write more often, so if you guys are looking for anything in particular you want to see just let me know and I will try and make it happen.

http://www.beyondstrengthperformance.com/progressing-the-squat-for-mma

Want to see more about the facility? Check out www.beyondstrengthperformance.com/nova
8/4/12 10:25 AM
jdhawgs

Well I quit watching as soon as I seen him wearing that stupid ass mask.
8/5/12 12:26 PM
ChrisBeyondStrength

Can I ask why?

Might want to read up on hypoxia training.

He took this fight on three and a half weeks notice, and with it being his third fight in nine weeks his strength hasn't deteriorated much at all. He enjoys lifting heavy, so he continued that with his downtime since the last fight. However, like any fighter who doesn't have to, he kept away from the HIIT.

So, with the fight being at elevation and only 3.5 weeks to peak, he needs to stimulate more EPO production naturally. Read up, hypoxia training works. However, I haven't just read, we've been combining strength with hypoxia training intermittently for a while now. Outside of the mental aspect of pushing when you believe you can't, we've had phenomenal results above and beyond what we'd had without it in the past.

With that being said, I was so against the mask when I saw it originally- however, I'm a believer after using it with my athletes for a bit now.

And this is not an endorsement, we are not sponsored by them...

Now, if your goals are strength and nothing to do with a conditioning approach, then sure it has no benefit for you. It's all about application. Phone Post
8/6/12 9:34 AM
paw
1564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChrisBeyondStrength -  Can I ask why?

Might want to read up on hypoxia training.

Does the mask change the composition of the air so that it has less oxygen?
8/6/12 11:38 AM
jdhawgs

No it just makes it harder to breath, that's all the ones I've seen do anyway.
8/6/12 12:30 PM
paw
1564 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jdhawgs - No it just makes it harder to breath, that's all the ones I've seen do anyway.

That's what I thought. 

So my next question, and this may be an indication of how stupid I am, is how masks create the hypoxia training effect.  If the amount of oxygen is the same....I guess I'm not understanding how it could work.
8/15/12 9:21 AM
ChrisBeyondStrength

Sorry, been in Denver for 150... I'll write some stuff up in a bit after I finish my morning sessions. Phone Post
8/15/12 10:42 AM
suBJJective warMTh
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Instead of using the mask I just use duct tape to seal my nose and mouth shut, poke pin holes for each nostril and another for my mouth and then I jump rope until I have a stroke.

I'm in the shape of my life! Phone Post
8/15/12 10:50 AM
ChrisBeyondStrength

Okayyyyy, so yeah, the training mask has spotty research for its  talk of increasing VO2max and all of it's other various claims.  Steve Maxwell has said himself (on Twitter recently) that he is currently experimenting with "hypoxic" training (read: oxygen deficient) and hasn't quite decided his thoughts.  It's not widely researched, and it doesn't neccessarily mean "altitude."  Technically, wouldn't holding your breath and performing tasks make one "deficient" of oxygen?  No, I am not reccomending that at all...  But, in response to your question about changing the composition of the air, you are correct- it does not.

I myself was very anti Training Mask.  We only ordered and used it by Dustin's request in the train-up for UFC on FX 3 where he fought Jared Papazian.  The thing you have to understand is that he does ALL of his strength and power work without the mask.  The reality is that training with the mask on for exercise forces you to decrease the intensity (however, we demand that he pushes well beyond where he believes he can with the mask on) of the exercise.  So if the intensity is decreased, yes the training effect would essentially decrease as well- on paper.  However, I can tell you from experience with training with the mask over the last few months for short bouts of intense conditioning that there are a few effects that I cannot refute:

1) Forces the athlete to breathe with their diaphragm, using controlled deep breaths.  Now, you can tell somebody to breathe from their diaphragm all day, but when there is a mask that sucks to your face and cuts off your air from using shallow powerful chest breathing, well, it's quite self correcting.  That's exactly what the mask does when strapped on tightly.  This benefit alone is golden!  If you listen and watch the above video you will see and hear what I mean.

2) The feeling of suffocation is panic inducing when you first start.  This goes back to point one and teaching proper breathing mechanics.  Progression is accomplishing the same feat with greater ease, am I right? Well, if you were to have seen Dustin with the mask on and witnessed the increases in efficiency of breathing from week to week, you would not be able to deny the benefit.  This alone created the effect we were looking for, and that is being mentally stronger, to remember how to breathe in extremely exhausting situations. 

3) This isn't really a finding, rather another point.  We don't use the mask when doing any type of MMA specific training.  The weight room is for building your base levels of strength, endurance, etc... It's all GPP training. The most important thing is being able to carry it over to your fight game.  I have noticed significant increases in fight specific endurance since adding the mask to his training.  Could this be due to other aspects of his training? Potentially.  But the mask is basically the only real change in that time.

So, choosing the word Hypoxia was not my best choice, as I wrote that response in a rush and was truly looking for why jdhawgs bashed the mask.  However, we have had great results from adding it to our regimen.  With that being said, Dustin is the only athlete I have used it with.  He is by far the most tenured fighter in the gym and has such a good base with years of s&c behind him.  I would NOT add this to any beginner or intermediate program.

So there you have it.  Hope that helps to clarify.  You can't always go by research and science.  They typically don't research training tools until well after the training world has phenomenal results first.  By that time we've usually found the next best thing.  There really isn't any solid research on training with the mask specifically, so it's hard to get clearcut information.  I am not saying to run out and buy one, just be a little more open minded.  This is merely my personal experiences with it...

8/17/12 11:46 AM
Palmala Handerson
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any "benefits" from the training mask are placebo IMO.
8/18/12 2:31 AM
Leigh
970 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mask is garbage and will hinder training as well as make it less fun Phone Post
8/18/12 3:48 PM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobinHood -  The benefits of your fighter seems all psychological. As there is genuinely such little research/sampling. I'd suggest proven investment on a sports psychologist instead. Phone Post

+1!

But that comes from a sport psychologist:)
8/19/12 12:44 PM
Adventure Runner
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a good summation of intermittent hypoxic training research results: http://www.best-fs.com/downloadsEnglish/HAMB_Levine_Intermittent.pdf

Train low, live high seems to be where the research points. Simply training in a hypoxic state (and those masks don't really simulate altitude) and then living the rest of your day at sea level, showed to have little to no positive results.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.