UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> What do you consider to be 'stong'?

8/6/12 8:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LordSeano
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was thinking about this at the weekend as I hit a new maximum on the bench (not going to say what so I dont get accused of attempting to brag)

It was nothing spectacular or brag worthy mind and certainly not what I would consider 'strong' compared with anyone that trains but I am sure some people might consider it strong.

What do you think is strong (say in D-Lift/Squat/Bench) for:

- an average man (not an average athlete)
- an average social/hobbyist sportsman/athlete
- a serious social/hobbyist sprtsman/athlete
- a pro athlete

What do you think is a realistic minimum that to be 'healthily strong' any average person should shoot for?
8/6/12 9:36 AM
None So Blind
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rippetoe and Starr used to like these, although in recent years they have said the standards are too "limiting" since wayyyy too many different types of people (size, age, weight) were looking at these as gospel, which was never intended....

http://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
8/6/12 9:38 AM
LordSeano
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

None So Blind - Rippetoe and Starr used to like these, although in recent years they have said the standards are too "limiting" since wayyyy too many different types of people (size, age, weight) were looking at these as gospel, which was never intended....

Thats pretty cool cheers
8/6/12 11:35 AM
jdhawgs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

None So Blind - Rippetoe and Starr used to like these, although in recent years they have said the standards are too "limiting" since wayyyy too many different types of people (size, age, weight) were looking at these as gospel, which was never intended....

I almost gave the same link.
8/6/12 12:33 PM
paw
1390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice link.

8/6/12 7:25 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Functional strength is deadlifting more than twice your bodyweight.
8/7/12 2:32 AM
Leigh
772 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Different leverages mean its difficult to pin down. Some guys might lift less but be stronger on the mat, on gymnastic rings, in a scrum etc. Only place it definitively matters is in a bench comp. Other than that, you are competing against yourself

Obviously a 100lb bench is weak for a normal man though and a 500lb bench is strong for anyone Phone Post
8/7/12 4:11 AM
LordSeano

419 - Functional strength is deadlifting more than twice your bodyweight.

See that to me seems too generalised.

I weigh 100 kilos at the moment so I would be pretty happy if I could get my deadlift up to 200 kilos, but if its at 190 I'd consider that to be pretty strong by any functional definition.
8/7/12 9:06 AM
Chocolate Shatner
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the "xBW" targets are useful, but only rules of thumb. The fact is, the only measure of "strong" is if someone is strong enough to do the activity that they want to do.

Let's look at American football. Sure, Larry Allen (rumored bench press of 700 pounds, and a squat over 900) was strong as fuck. And, he did his job as an All-Pro for many years. But, did really give him any advantage over many others?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-7309020

even in this article doesn't even have him listed as a top ten all time offensive lineman (of course, any top ten list like that is debatable).

However, the point is clear. The NFL (and I'm sure this is true in every sport) is littered with people who may have been "gym warriors," guy who could put up amazing numbers in the weightroom or on the track, but couldn't translate that into real life application.

The only thing that a "2xBW" or a "1.5xBW" number is helpful for is if you compete in powerlifting, Oly lifting, or strongman. The rest of it, just work on getting stronger yourself.
8/7/12 3:10 PM
Taku
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The demonstration of strength is made up of many factors. Some of which are completely un-trainable. Comparing strength from one person to antoher is silly in my mind. The only thing that matters is how strong you were, are, will be. Are you stronger that when you started training? Are you stronger this year than last year? If not, why not.

Way too many factors that come into play to make any type of comparrioson from person to person IMHO.

TAKU

8/7/12 4:16 PM
Leigh
772 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ stong Phone Post
8/7/12 6:51 PM
LordSeano

Holy shit - only just noticed that!
8/7/12 9:22 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"What a load of absurdity."

The thread asks for personal opinion, and I gave mine.
8/7/12 10:48 PM
ravenman2000
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stong

1. Stong

A combination of the words "stun" and "dong," it literally means stunning penis but in practice is more often used in place of the word strong. When used in place of strong, stong either implies an association with or jokingly refers to a stunning penis or implies male dominance in general. Stong is a form of sexual innuendo and can be used as a noun or adjective.

8/8/12 5:39 AM
LordSeano

ravenman2000 -  From http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stong

1. Stong

A combination of the words "stun" and "dong," it literally means stunning penis but in practice is more often used in place of the word strong. When used in place of strong, stong either implies an association with or jokingly refers to a stunning penis or implies male dominance in general. Stong is a form of sexual innuendo and can be used as a noun or adjective.

'What do you consider to be a stunning penis' is a whole different thread.

Though not one that would be out of place on the OG
8/8/12 3:02 PM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To me strong means that strength is not limiting factor in athletic pursuits or day-to-day activities.

There are so many factors like training goals, dominant fiber type, lever length, and many more that trying to statically assign numbers doesn't go over well in reality. I also feel there is a huge skill component to strength training. After a certain point, the majority of your gains are just in the skill for performing that movement with ever decreasing carry over to other athletic events and disciplines.
8/8/12 4:50 PM
Leigh

^not bad. Simple but accurate Phone Post
8/9/12 10:36 AM
Adventure Runner
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. ;) I used to be real traditional strength focused, but that's changed as I've aged and started competing in a variety of different sports away from my norm. There were plenty of people that I'd probably beat in the overwhelming majority of strength or "fitness" tests that were dominating me. It made me rethink things and the way I trained. It also made me look back on my sporting past with a different eye and realize I was that person dominating "stronger" and more fit people at times.
8/9/12 12:08 PM
ArtWanderlei

8/9/12 5:52 PM
Taku
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the Punching power thread:

The development of muscular strength is the general progression of increasing the muscle’s ability to produce force. In other words, strength is a non-specific adaptation developed in the weight room whereas skills are a specific adaptation developed through guided practice. As a result, strength is developed physically in the weight room, which by a separate process is developed mechanically outside the weight room. Simply stated, you build muscle in the weight room and movement outside the weight room.

TAKU

P.S. LOL@ the ravenman2000, definition of STONG

8/12/12 5:08 AM
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chocolate Shatner - the "xBW" targets are useful, but only rules of thumb. The fact is, the only measure of "strong" is if someone is strong enough to do the activity that they want to do.

Let's look at American football. Sure, Larry Allen (rumored bench press of 700 pounds, and a squat over 900) was strong as fuck. And, he did his job as an All-Pro for many years. But, did really give him any advantage over many others?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-7309020

even in this article doesn't even have him listed as a top ten all time offensive lineman (of course, any top ten list like that is debatable).

However, the point is clear. The NFL (and I'm sure this is true in every sport) is littered with people who may have been "gym warriors," guy who could put up amazing numbers in the weightroom or on the track, but couldn't translate that into real life application.

The only thing that a "2xBW" or a "1.5xBW" number is helpful for is if you compete in powerlifting, Oly lifting, or strongman. The rest of it, just work on getting stronger yourself.

the x BW argument is bunk. size comes at a diminishing return.
9/11/12 9:18 PM
Rusty Shackleford
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
9/21/12 3:27 PM
GaryG
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2 x BW bench
3 x BW SQ
4 x BW DL

Those were my goals and std as I defined strong for myself.

Never achieved. Came closer to some than others.

But on the brightside I've always been exceptionally stong
9/21/12 5:31 PM
Andy the man

Being able to pick up all of my moms shopping in one go.

9/22/12 3:17 PM
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Andy the man - Being able to pick up all of my moms shopping in one go.

Being able to pick up Andy the man's mom?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.