UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Sprinting -tell me about it

8/21/12 12:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HULC
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So... is the OP asking advice on how to increase top speed, acceleration, or just how to use sprints for conditioning?
8/23/12 3:58 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Example of pure speed workout:
Speed work Guidelines for athletes:
Intensity 90-100%
Distance of run 20-60 meters
Number of reps/set 2-4
Number of sets 2-4
Total distance in set 80-160 meters
Total distance in session 300 – 500 meters
Sample Program
Now let’s look at a sample workout session to get an idea of how these workouts could be structured. Rest between sets is slightly longer than rest between reps in order to allow full recovery.

1.        4 x 40m - 4 min rest
6 minutes rest between sets
3 x 50m - 5 min rest
TOTAL: 310 meters

Example of conditioning workout:

Warm-up: 5-min walk, then 6 x 1min jog, 1min walk
4 x 200m*
8 x 100m
10 x 50m
Cool-down: 5-min jog
*For the sprints, rest three times the length of time it took you to sprint. For example if you ran your first 400 in 60 seconds, you should rest 180 seconds.

TAKU
8/23/12 6:11 PM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

random tidbit: There are studies showing a correlation with toe flexor strength and sprinting speed.
8/23/12 7:04 PM
5 o clock shadow
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use sprints as a way to do conditioning, but am I actually slowing myself down by doing this? I do 100M sprints followed by a set of ten burpies with minimal rest in between. (I try to push as hard and as fast as I can).

Of course, my 100M times are hideously slow when I work out like this, but it's a solid conditioning workout for me.

I am one of those guys who can beat everyone in a 10~20M sprint, but I get smoked when running anything further. My best 40yard dash time is 5.2 secs. I feel like I have great initial acceleration, but I just cannot continously pick up speed like other athletes.

fos
8/23/12 8:23 PM
Taku
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herts,

Yes...the stiffer the entire complex, the more force directed into the ground. The more force directed into the ground, the faster one can go.

TAKU
8/23/12 11:33 PM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/23/12 11:33 PM
fos- in a word, yes. By sprinting with incomplete recovery, you're taxing diff ratio of energy systems andd training more of your metabolic, and less of your neural pathways. Your metabolic/neural pathways will be reconditioned/program for better economy, not maximal exertion.

ps- is this the same fos from mousel's?

Taku,

Exactly, a stiffler foot/ankle complex meant shorter ground contact times and more efficient use of the SSC
8/24/12 2:44 AM
Friction
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hi Taku. 2 questions. Would the rest of 3-4 min. cool you down to much? Does beach sand affect sprint speed development if you workout on it sometimes because of the give?
Thanks.
8/24/12 9:23 AM
Taku

Hey Friction,

Yes, the long rest will cool you down. Not too much if you are training for pure speed. When I am working with speed athletes, another thing I did not mention is that I know what they are able to do. If during the workout, they are unable to maitain the desired max velocity for that day, the workout is over.

As for running in sand...For conditioning it would be okay. For sprinting not so good. The mechanics of running in sand are nothing like the mechanics of running on solid ground.

Hope that makes sense.

TAKU
8/24/12 11:31 PM
Friction
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Taku. Thanks. That makes perfect sense. The protocol you use with maintaining intensity, I apply to my strength training as well if off.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.