UnderGround Forums

NBAGround >> Durant vs LeBron revisited

8/6/12 9:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kanotoa
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you all think now. Now that LeBron has been attacking in the finals I think there is no question who the better player is. Durant has a beautiful J, but that is it. LeBron is a far more well rounded player and he will win 6 titles.
8/8/12 1:29 PM
Floppy Divac
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It took Lebron TWO trips to the Finals to finally shake the jitters. Durant will perform better next time. It's not really fair to compare their finals performances when one dude had been there twice before while the other was making his debut.
8/10/12 12:15 PM
Beefcake the Mighty
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It depends on Miami's outside shooters. Battier, Miller and Chalmers shot out of their mind during the finals and it's tough to think that'll happen again. Overall Lebron is the better player, but Durant is the best scorer in the league and takes games over in the 4th. 

Miami doesn't have a 6 year window with Wade turning 31? this year and Miller barely able to walk.

8/10/12 9:16 PM
supersaiyan

gotta go with Lebron as the overall and all around player over Kevin as far as player comparison -not even close.

however as mentioned KD does have a badass jumper to hit them soaring 3's like its nothing.
9/3/12 9:45 PM
phdinmma

KD's game is beautiful but as far as better player goes its not even close

Lebron by far
9/4/12 11:08 AM
dangerboy12
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Durant really reminds me of Dirk.

Once OKC decides to put a bunch of role players around him and Kevin decides he needs to take rebounding seriously, Durant will be on Lebrons level.
9/12/12 2:38 PM
HenryO

dangerboy12 - Durant really reminds me of Dirk.

Once OKC decides to put a bunch of role players around him and Kevin decides he needs to take rebounding seriously, Durant will be on Lebrons level.

Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Maynor. That OKC roster will likely peak this upcoming year before Harden leaves. Durant is great but people hyped him up to be on Lebron's level when he clearly isnt at this point, people are scared of LEbron's all time greatness.
9/12/12 3:36 PM
dangerboy12
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah Lebron is one of the best ever no doubt, but basketball is a sport where 1 guy can carry an entire offense to a title if his teammates let him. We've seen Jordan and Kobe do it. We've seen Dirk do it. We saw Shaq do it.

KD has scoring talent on par or maybe even better than those guys. Outside of Wilt, he may be the best offensive player ever, just going by the tools and skills he has. He just needs a coach and some teammates who will let him go out there and put up 50 every night. No team, much less player, can stop this guy from averaging 1.5 points per possession.
9/12/12 8:02 PM
HenryO

Sorry but when did Kobe ever carry an offense to a title? Dirk didnt either, he had an army of guys shooting lights out.

So youre suggesting that they dont need WEstbrook or Harden to score and should rely completely on Durant on offense? When he has always been completely reluctant to take over games and faded out of big games repeatedly
9/12/12 8:04 PM
HenryO

He may be among the best pure scorers ever, but nowhere close to one of the best offensive players ever
9/13/12 2:39 PM
dangerboy12

HenryO - Sorry but when did Kobe ever carry an offense to a title? Dirk didnt either, he had an army of guys shooting lights out.

So youre suggesting that they dont need WEstbrook or Harden to score and should rely completely on Durant on offense? When he has always been completely reluctant to take over games and faded out of big games repeatedly

Yeah I agree Kobe never has outside of individual games, but if you don't think Dirk carried the Mavs offensively throughout the entire playoffs 2 years ago you weren't paying attention.

And yes, I am suggesting that Harden and Westbrook take a back seat. Sometimes players don't have that drive to take every shot when it counts, even when they are the best option. That's when it's up to the coaches and GM to put the right guys on the floor, and for the 2nd level guys to bow down to the superior player, the way Wade did for Lebron.

We all remember Lebron deferring to inferior scorers when it counted most, and he was able to change. Durant can do the same thing.

For the record, I don't think he's very close to Lebron's level as an overall player at all, but that's not because he doesn't have the physical tools and the skills. It's a lot more to do with his attitude and the attitude of those around him. Westbrook is a true leader, with true skills, Kevin is not. That's a problem in crunch time, when your best scorer is not your floor leader (which is one of the reasons I am anti star PG if you want to win a title.)

Durant would be way better off with a role playing PG. Like Kidd was for Dirk. Like Derek Fisher. Like Paxon and Harper. Like Chalmers. Like a young Tony Parker or Avery Johnson. Hell even DJ or Danny Ainge or Kenny Smith. He needs a PG who is more than willing to play off the basketball.

As far as Harden goes, he works well with anybody. In fact, he is the perfect counterpart for Durant.
9/13/12 5:40 PM
HenryO

Ya Dirk was playing ridiculous at the time, but he still needed Terry just shooting ridiculous to help him beat the Heat. I see where you are coming from, but I dont think Durant can take out these superteams by himself without another elite talent.

I personally think OKC's main downfall against the Heat was overplaying Perkins and Fisher, and Harden dissapearing. Durant wasnt going to go in and dominate that Heat defense no matter who was at Point. They have WEstbrook and Durant locked up long term and that is going to be their core for the next few years. Durant/WEstbrook/Ibaka/Harden/Maynor could very easily be a chmpionship core.

I dont know if I necessarily agree with you that he needs a role playing PG like the guys you listed, Durant isnt going to dominate the ball like a Lebron or Jordan. I would like to see Durant get more touches down low, he seems to way too often just sit outside.

Is always entertaining watching the top 4-5 NBA teams go at it in the playoffs, the season is really pointless
9/14/12 8:48 AM
dangerboy12

The season is too long I agree.

IMO they need to give the #1 seeds some advantage for doing well in the regular season. It would push the really good teams to actually try for that #1 seed.

I suggest the following:

#1 vs #8: If #1 reaches 3 wins before #8 does, series over. If not, 4 out of 7 as normal.

2nd Round: Highest seed remaining plays lowest seed remaining. If #7 beats #2, then it's #1 vs #7 in the 2nd round, not #3 or 6 vs #7. And so on and so forth. No brackets.

It's becoming pretty clear that home court isn't the advantage it used to be, especially in the 2-3-2 formatted finals.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.