UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rhadi Ferguson on ATT Response

8/7/12 12:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JakeRoberts
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1287634-dr-ferguson-responds-to-att-response-i-100-per-cent-respect-their-opinion

After Hector Lombard was defeated by Tim Boetsch at UFC 149, I spoke with Dr. Rhadi Ferguson, a man who Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal called a “combat genius,” to get his assessment of the match.

When the feature—in which Dr. Ferguson criticized Lombard’s corner and suggested that the sport may have passed American Top Team co-founder and trainer Conan Silveira by—was published, it garnered a fair bit of controversy, namely from the Underground Forum.

Within a day or two of the feature grabbing the attention of elements of the MMA community, an official response was issued by a representative of American Top Team, the team Dr. Ferguson trained with a few years ago.

The following is a complete transcript of an interview that I conducted with Dr. Ferguson last week, where the sought-after instructor responds to American Top Team’s response.

Nearly 20,000 hits on the UG, 5,000 hits on Bleacher Report and an official response from ATT—did you think that the article would elicit this type of reaction?

To be completely honest, not at all. Of course, I’m happy that it did. I certainly appreciate the fact that many people have taken an interest in what I have to say and my professional assessment concerning mixed martial arts and coaching athletes.

Were you hoping for this type of reaction?

To be honest with you, when I do interviews, I don’t do interviews for the purpose of eliciting a reaction; I do interviews in order to facilitate the need of the interviewer or writer.

Normally, they come to me looking for a professional opinion based upon my background and what it is I provide for the sport for the article in which they are writing. I just provide my professional opinion—I don’t say things for shock value. That’s not my style.

Do you think that’s what people thought you were trying to do—shock people with what you were saying?

I don’t know what people thought I was doing. I just provide an assessment of the sport and the coaches. I’m no different than Skip Bayless on ESPN—you’re not going to agree with my opinion all the time, but it’s my professional opinion.

Before we get into the specifics of ATT’s response, what is your response to ATT’s response?

I 100 percent respect their opinion. Everyone sees the situation differently—I saw it different than how they saw it. However, it wasn’t my intent when I did the interview to take a personal attack against American Top Team, nor is that my position now.

When you look at the interview, I don’t say anything about American Top Team, nor did I make any disparaging comments against Hector. I respect their assessment on my departure and how they saw it, also. I don’t have anything negative to say about American Top Team. Once again, that’s not my style.

It seems that some readers were, maybe not offended, but taken back by what you had to say. Are you surprised by that?

No. I think any time you speak on an issue it's inherently going to be controversial—we’re talking about peoples’ favourite fighters, favourite team.

It’s like you’re a Philadelphia Eagles fan and somebody’s talking about the Philadelphia Eagles; the person that makes the comments or makes the assessment is going to be a very polarizing individual, meaning some people are going to agree with what I say and some people are going to disagree with what I say.

As human beings, the first thing that we’re going to do is tie the words to the person, meaning they take my assessment or my particular view of the situation and begin to attack me as a person. That’s just what people do. Bro, it doesn’t bother me at all.

Not at all?

Not at all. Let me tell you something about being in business—something that I really learned from Lloyd Irvin—is that if you want to become super-successful in business, you’re going to have to get to the point where you’re immune to criticism.

I can’t sit around and allow some person—a person who I don’t know and who doesn’t know me—to make an assessment of me and then run with it, disparage me and then get caught up in that banter and bickering.

I have no time. I have no time for those things. It doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t stay up at night reading the forums, reading what other people have to say. I just don’t.

Were you surprised that you got an official response from ATT?

You know what? I don’t think I was really surprised that I got an official response from ATT. I think that their position was to protect their coach; I think that they wanted to maybe disparage me in some particular way and or to make my comments less valid by making a personal attack.

I’m not sure exactly what the purpose was, because it didn’t have anything to do with my assessment, to be honest with you.

Why do you think that was the case? Why don’t you think they responded to your criticism?

I couldn’t tell you why, but maybe because it’s difficult to argue with the facts (laughs). And here are the facts: I don’t have anything personal against Conan—no matter what he has or hasn’t said about me in the past, I don’t know the guy, I just don’t.

When I arrived at American Top Team, he wasn’t there. And as far as me wanting to attack him personally, you could just tell from the tone of this particular interview that that isn’t what I wanted to do. If I was interested in attacking him personally, there are numerous things that I could say about him. I’m sure you and the rest of the people reading this know exactly what I’m saying.

The conspiracy theory that is being sold by the person from ATT—I don’t want you to miss this—is that I was sitting at home, waiting for Hector Lombard to lose so that I can attack Conan Silveira. That’s actually asinine.

I’m glad they think of Conan so highly and I’m kind of upset that they think of me so lowly, to be honest with you (laughs). But really, I’ve got a lot better things to do with my time.

The fact of the matter is this: Hector Lombard is a former Bellator 185-pound champ, okay? There was a great deal of hype surrounding his arrival to the UFC.

Any time there is a judo player fighting—I don’t care if it was Karo Parisian, Rhonda Rousey or Hector Lombard—any time a judo player fights in the UFC, especially someone who has gone to the Olympics, I’m usually going to get some hits to my inbox or my phone or my Facebook page about doing an interview or getting my professional opinion on the fight.

I also write—I write for a major blog—and I watch fights critically, so that I’m very well-informed about that which I speak. With that being said, I took a look at this match-up beforehand, during and after—just like how I look at the rest of the fights—I do the preliminary analysis before the fight ...

You can take this and apply it to your MMA career, if you'd like: I use Sun Tzu’s The Art of War—the first chapter—when it comes to the Laying Of Plans. Sun Tzu talks about a certain amoun
8/7/12 1:18 PM
jpm995
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I can’t sit around and allow some person—a person who I don’t know and who doesn’t know me—to make an assessment of me and then run with it, disparage me and then get caught up in that banter and bickering."
Yet isen't that what he just did to Conan?

8/7/12 1:36 PM
bhealthy

If I could afford it I would be in Florida getting coaching from Rhadi right now. even if he's a Q :)
8/7/12 2:26 PM
HenryO

Who is Rhadi Ferguson to think anyone cares to hear him criticize a legendary trainer like Conan?
8/7/12 2:27 PM
Hansumboy

Ferguson is a smart man. A lot of free publicity coming his way out of this.
8/7/12 4:12 PM
youarewhatiswrong
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

General rule of thumb:

Any time someone starts a sentence with "to be honest" you can pretty much expect some bullshit to follow.
8/7/12 4:24 PM
mpalan09

ATT has gone downhill in the last couple years, performance wise. That was the best camp circa 2008, 2009. Something definitely awry there.

Is Rhadi officially retired from MMA?
8/7/12 4:34 PM
Knarkilla
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love reading his thoughts and ideology on coaching. Great little snipped from the interview pertaining to coaching:

"What you’re looking for is a masterful mixture of direction and motivation with a hint of conjecture." Phone Post
8/7/12 4:43 PM
Authority Figure

HenryO - Who is Rhadi Ferguson to think anyone cares to hear him criticize a legendary trainer like Conan?

You obviously didn't read the entire article. Rhadi is the mother fuckin' man. lol If you want to win and you need a coach, holler at him homie. lol

And the best part of the whole thing, he went part by part through his background, his job, his history with ATT, the coach in question, the fighter in question, standout UG posters who commented on him, his credentials etc.

You can't knock the dude. If you have something bad to say about him after this it's either immaturity, ego or stupidity. He even went so far as to say something positive about every single person that only had negative things to say about him.

One of the best interviews I've read all year.
8/7/12 5:10 PM
KidJustice
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

Great article. Rhadi seems like a good guy. He markets himself and people get all butt hurt when he does, but a man has to put food on the table and when you are the "product" then you have to make people want that product.

8/7/12 5:19 PM
HELWIG

" Who is Rhadi Ferguson to think anyone cares to hear him criticize a legendary trainer like Conan?"

Did you just randomly hope that Conan is seen by long-time fans as a "legendary trainer" when you typed out this post?

8/7/12 5:22 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Comparing himself to Skip Bayless was a mistake. Skip does exactly what Rhadi says he wasnt trying to do. Skip says things to garner a reaction, even if its a negative one. Hes a real life troll and he has made a career off of it Phone Post
8/7/12 5:32 PM
MrMead
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HELWIG - " Who is Rhadi Ferguson to think anyone cares to hear him criticize a legendary trainer like Conan?"

Did you just randomly hope that Conan is seen by long-time fans as a "legendary trainer" when you typed out this post?

Yeah, I think it is the case of a johnny come lately trying to seem like he isnt. Conan the legendary trainer had me seriously laughing.
8/7/12 5:34 PM
Synado
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rhadi is awesome!
8/7/12 5:43 PM
point312

Rhadi is a good guy I bought his the grind DVD from him and some material from ihp years ago.I ordered it and like 20 mins later my phone was ringing from Florida it had to have been 11 p.m. There .He was a class act we bullshitted about mma and where I was training in Vegas and he was nothing but a stand up guy and thanked me for getting the DVDs from him.I have been around for along time and never had anyone call me and thank me he's a very smart guy when it comes to training and I still use a few of the ihp circuits he did .
point312

Rhadi is a good guy I bought his the grind DVD from him and some material from ihp years ago.I ordered it and like 20 mins later my phone was ringing from Florida it had to have been 11 p.m. There .He was a class act we bullshitted about mma and where I was training in Vegas and he was nothing but a stand up guy and thanked me for getting the DVDs from him.I have been around for along time and never had anyone call me and thank me he's a very smart guy when it comes to training and I still use a few of the ihp circuits he did .
bruceleesspirit
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/7/12 6:05 PM
Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good read. He always keeps it classy and intelligent. Phone Post
8/7/12 6:12 PM
fight4right

Man he comes off to me as a smug pseudo-intellectual snake oil salesman Phone Post
8/7/12 6:30 PM
Tony Manifold

He isn't a psuedo intellectual, he is an intellectual with a PhD in Education. He is also a Judo Olympian. He is more than qualified to critique someones coaching.
8/7/12 6:33 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rhadi needs to shut up.

he called out Conan as sucking at his job...in a very public manner...and decided to leave out the fact that he's BUTT HURT over Conan asking him to leave ATT.

lol

How many champs has ATT produced vs Rhadi ?

lol

8/7/12 8:08 PM
fight4right

A guy with an online Phd in education that refers to himself as "doctor" is exactly what the guy who coined the term "pseudo-intellectual" had in mind. Phone Post
8/7/12 8:40 PM
fayceofff
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A guy with a PhD in anything, whether from an online institution or any other type, has every right to refer to himself as Doctor. Why do people get so confused about that?
8/8/12 9:43 AM
KidJustice
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fayceofff - A guy with a PhD in anything, whether from an online institution or any other type, has every right to refer to himself as Doctor. Why do people get so confused about that?

^this

He went through a legit online course for his PHD. He went to a legit college for his BA and Masters.

I know many people who go the online route these days for their Masters and PHDs. My buddy got his MBA through 75% online courses and I know for a fact he worked his ass off doing it.
8/8/12 9:57 AM
HenryO

Haole - 
MrMead - 
HELWIG - " Who is Rhadi Ferguson to think anyone cares to hear him criticize a legendary trainer like Conan?"

<br type="_moz" />

Yeah, I think it is the case of a johnny come lately trying to seem like he isnt. Conan the legendary trainer had me seriously laughing.

lol

I was about to quote him and say 'who the f has he trained?...'

I do wonder how he is allowed to be in the U.S

Ok he isnt a legendary trainer but he did at least play a part in helping start up ATT i believe. What has Rhadi done close to that?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.