UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Worst showing ever for US Mens Olympic boxing team

8/7/12 9:59 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1033 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

While the US Judo Team had an excellent showing at the London Olympics, the US Men's boxing team not so much.

The USA has been a powerhouse in Olympic boxing, reaching a peak perhaps in 1976, when the team took five gold medals. Ray Leonard went on to become to most celebrated prize fighter of his generation. Both Spinks brothers, Michael and Leon, went on to become world champions, as did Leo Randolph, and bronze medalist 'Big John Tate'. Howard Davis Jr., although he never became a world champion, ended up with a hand happily in the MMA world, as the head striking coach for ATT.

The 2012 team is not expected to produce the same thing any time soon.

For the first time in Olympics history, a U.S. men's boxer will not ascend the medals podium, an embarrassment of historical proportions for the once-rich Team USA amateur program.

U.S. assistant coach Charles Leverette criticized Sugar Ray Leonard and Oscar De La Hoya, two mega-stars produced by the USA amateur program, for not formally sharing their expertise. He said both had been invited to help young fighters at USA Boxing headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colo.

"USA Boxing and the Olympics made Golden Boy. And it made Ray Leonard. And everyone else out there barking about that they can do,'' Leverette said. "Put your money where your mouth is.''

Earlier this week, Leonard told The Washington Examiner that USA Boxing's two-decade slide into international irrelevance "makes me sick.''

No nation has won more Olympic boxing medals than the U.S. — 109, including 47 gold.

"And it's getting worse all the time,'' said Leonard.

Meanwhile, in back-to-back Aug. 3 tweets by De La Hoya, the 1992 Barcelona Games star said: "That's it! I'm going to request Mark Breland, Sugar Ray Leonard and myself coach the next Olympic boxing team,'' and "I have (too) much passion for the sport I love dearly. Will do something about it!''

Said Leverette, "I saw (his) tweet. I never see him anywhere (around amateur boxing).''

"If you want to do something about it," said the U.S. assistant coach, "how about opening a gym and have some camps for these kids with all the hundreds of millions (of dollars) he's got? It takes money and that's something he has plenty of.''

"We have to help ourselves,'' Leonard told The Examiner, "and I'll help in a heartbeat.''

Leverette and USA Boxing are waiting.

Read entire article...

8/7/12 10:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrCutter
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Focus on the women!  Fuck it. We've got some bangers.
8/7/12 10:21 PM
buddie
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm so pissed about this I don't even have the words. Disgusting where USA boxing is at right now. This was the premiere country for boxing for a long, long time.

8/7/12 10:31 PM
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate - A sign of things to come for the US in general.
*derp*
8/7/12 10:33 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also our worst showing in years for Greco-Roman wrestling. First time in a long time that we don't have a single medalist. It sucks...combat sports in the U.S. are at a weird point. Phone Post
8/7/12 10:34 PM
stonepony

Boxing is on it's way out people... It was a corrupt shameful farce at these Olympics.

"how about opening a gym and have some camps for these kids"

What kids? The kids are learning wrestling and JJ and kick-boxing.
8/7/12 10:36 PM
random_perv

Worst judging in years. You must not be watching. Phone Post
8/7/12 10:37 PM
dahosse
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One big thing they're not addressing is that the rules for Olympic boxing completely encourage pitty-pat non-fighting faggotry. Phone Post
8/7/12 10:43 PM
crowbar
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like Leverette might not be the best coach for our US amateurs & don`t want to lose his job.

I could be very wrong though.
8/7/12 10:47 PM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dahosse - One big thing they're not addressing is that the rules for Olympic boxing completely encourage pitty-pat non-fighting faggotry. Phone Post

That's a big thing I noticed when I boxed. Amateur and pro boxing are so vastly different that they're almost two different sports. At least two totally different methods of fighting. Not a lot of amateur boxing gyms out there anymore it seems like.
8/7/12 10:51 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, Owner
While we did absolutely horrible it's worth noting that scoring has been extremely fucked. Errol Spence got completely robbed in the round of 16, which got overturned, and Terrell Gausha also lost an extremely questionable fight in the round of 16. While the Spence decision today was fair the scoring was completely foobared. There was only 1 round that Spence actually won and that was the 3rd but somehow the judges had his opponent winning the 3rd by the widest margin of the entire fight. Great Britian has also been getting just about every decision thrown their way and has shown that even in the Olympics you can get a hometown decision.
8/7/12 10:57 PM
DSCH
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The real sad thing is the judging / reffing
8/7/12 11:10 PM
Kostakio
437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If you want to do something about it," said the U.S. assistant coach, "how about opening a gym and have some camps for these kids with all the hundreds of millions (of dollars) he's got? It takes money and that's something he has plenty of.''

haha sick burn Phone Post
8/7/12 11:17 PM
torquemada
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Freddy Roach commented that the team didn't have the same level talent back on his HBO mini series.

Unfortunately, he was right. Phone Post
8/7/12 11:20 PM
Hessian
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At least you still have wrestling ... ohh ya sorry.
8/7/12 11:21 PM
irishrottie
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

irish boxing team, awesome. its all we have anyway lol
8/7/12 11:23 PM
tenchu
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like this is another reflection of the decline of boxing among the young demographic as they shift to MMA.
8/8/12 1:44 AM
obi1

there were some egregious decisions and reffing.. but we f ing suck, i think a ton of guys see the advantage of mma and the nfl and whatnot.. Boxing better get their shit together though. I can see Arums smug little smile, that dude should be embarrased
8/8/12 1:47 AM
judoanswersall

I believe many of you are mistaking the THING in the Olympics as boxing...

Whatever that was supposed to be - it wasn't boxing...
8/8/12 1:50 AM
MartialArtsMixed
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

all the kids are training martial arts, look at Judo we won first ever gold.
8/8/12 2:07 AM
Alumynabjj

judoanswersall - I believe many of you are mistaking the THING in the Olympics as boxing...

Whatever that was supposed to be - it wasn't boxing...
That is the truth. I watched three fights and turned the channel. The scoring is retarded, the rules are dumb as shit, and the level of the fighters was sickening. I cannot believe these dudes were Olympic level. I seriously doubt any truly talented boxer would even fuck with the Olympics. I would just focus on my pro career. Phone Post
8/8/12 2:10 AM
God Bless Tim Tebow
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We got jobbed big time in this Olympics. I'm not in the least bit worried though, most if not all of these guys are going to have great careers.
8/8/12 3:40 AM
stonepony

obi1 - there were some egregious decisions and reffing.. but we f ing suck, i think a ton of guys see the advantage of mma and the nfl and whatnot.. Boxing better get their shit together though. I can see Arums smug little smile, that dude should be embarrased
We suck at boxing, right now, for the same reason we suck at soccer. We play the sport less.

If you were a kid interested in being a pro-athlete, would you be training to become a boxer at this point? No way. You would learn to box, because it applies to MMA. You wouldn't dedicate yourself to boxing and boxing alone though.
8/8/12 5:11 AM
Devlin
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - 
obi1 - there were some egregious decisions and reffing.. but we f ing suck, i think a ton of guys see the advantage of mma and the nfl and whatnot.. Boxing better get their shit together though. I can see Arums smug little smile, that dude should be embarrased
We suck at boxing, right now, for the same reason we suck at soccer. We play the sport less.

If you were a kid interested in being a pro-athlete, would you be training to become a boxer at this point? No way. You would learn to box, because it applies to MMA. You wouldn't dedicate yourself to boxing and boxing alone though.

Is mma seriously getting to that point in america where its the go to combat sport for everyone?

And i saw a guy on espn on about your boxing team before any off the matchs began basically saying you didnt have much of a chance becuase of how the training before hand had went. Basically slating the coachs and organisations behind american amateur boxing.
8/8/12 5:12 AM
BruceLeroysLowKick

Big up to the Irish Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.