UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> NY ABC MMA Judge Training Course 8/25/12

8/9/12 9:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
donnybrook
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greetings UG!

I am confirming the details today, but I am scheduling and ABC recognized MMA Judge Training Course in Watertown, NY on Saturday 8/25/12.  I will update with the exact address once it is confirmed.  As it is in just a few weeks, I wanted to announce the date and city immediately.  This is a great opportunity to get a head start on the licensing procedure should NY finally sanction MMA as this course is Association of Boxing Commissions (ABC) recognized and approved.  Please visit my website for the prerequisite knowledge requirements:

http://www.refereesolutions.com/content.php?sid=9856&ssid=25388

*****NOTE - In order to successfully complete this course and receive a certificate you must be able to recognize all of the positions and submissions listed on my website.  In addition, you should be well versed in the setups, reversals escapes, and counters to said maneuvers in order to effectively score them.  I DO NOT TEACH MMA techniques in this course. You are expected to know this sport if you are trying to become one who judges it.

If you have any questions, please email me at

kevintheref@gmail.com

Thanks and have a great day!

Kevin MacDonald
8/9/12 10:34 PM
donnybrook
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Will have some more info tomorrow.

Working on allowing attendees to shadow at event the same evening as course in same town, Watertown, NY!

Will post once confirmed. If you live in NY and want to be an MMA Judge, this is a great opporunity. Get your course certificate done now, build your resume at ammy events till bill passes and MMA gets sanctioned, apply for NY MMA Judges License with all prerequisites PLUS experience vis amateur circuit.

Email me for an application!

Kevintheref@gmail.com
8/9/12 11:06 PM
rockethands33
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn from one of the absolute best Officials' Trainers in the sport.

If you take MMA seriously, and plan on being an MMA Official, this program is a must!
8/9/12 11:34 PM
Tommy Gunnz
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am VERY interested in becoming a MMA referee or judge but I am not sure how the whole system works. Especially since MMA isn't even legal in NY yet.

Say I take your course, what exactly does that mean? Am I then able to judge mma events? anywhere? where? how do you get booked as a judge or ref? How do you apply for a NY MMA judges license?
8/10/12 1:42 AM
Jittazz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt
8/10/12 10:22 AM
Tommy Gunnz
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
8/10/12 10:35 AM
donnybrook

Hey Tommy, thanks for the interest. Currently, the only events taking place in NY are amateur, which are sanctioned by individual organizations, and pro events on Tribal lands. The course which I offer is recognized by the ABC, of which all states and tribal councils recognize, and/or are a member of. This doesn't mean that just because someone passes the course they will be in the judges chair. Rather, it is the first step to getting there.

Many commissions and/or sanctioning bodies will require a potential judge to go through a shadow/apprentice process. This not only demonstrates profficency in judging, but also that you are dedicated and responsible.

I recommend that most new judges take a course first. Passing a course shows that a potential judge possesses the knowledge of the sport and a clear understanding of the scoring criteria and how it should be applied. Once they have done this, I recommend that they reach out to any and all sanctioning bodies nearby to see what the next step is.

This is a great time to start building a resume and get crucial experience for potential MMA officials in NY. I don't know how long until the sport gets sanctioned by the state, but we all know that it will happen. Whether you take my course or another one I strongly advise that you do it soon and then try to get as much experience as possible. This way, when MMA finally becomes state sanctioned, your application will stand out as one who should be licensed in the first round of applicaions.

Thanks again and feel free to post or email if you have any other questions or concerns.

Kevin MacDonald
ABC MMA Officials Trainer
www.refereesolutions.com
8/10/12 11:14 AM
Kirik
1400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
rockethands33 - Learn from one of the absolute best Officials' Trainers in the sport.

If you take MMA seriously, and plan on being an MMA Official, this program is a must!

+1
8/10/12 8:39 PM
donnybrook

Thanks for the kind support Kirik and Rob!
8/10/12 8:58 PM
Eric Zychowicz

ttt
8/10/12 9:02 PM
Malvert the Janitor
563 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a short ride from my house in Syracuse!!! Phone Post
8/10/12 9:03 PM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this Donny with the mullet? I love that dude. If so, I've spoken to you at events many times. Class act. Phone Post
8/10/12 9:09 PM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TITAN Combat/TITAN Grappling Open, Promoter
TTT.
8/14/12 10:06 AM
donnybrook

The judge course is definitely gonna happen on Saturday, August 25th. It will be a 5 hour classroom course followed by live shadowing that evening. I'm working on hotel discounts right now for those who may be traveling.

If anyone has interest, questions, or knows someone who does, please do not hesitate to email.

There are LOTS of amateur MMA events springing up now in NY. If you want to get involved on the ground level, this is a great opportunity.

Kevin MacDonald
www.refereesolutions.com
8/14/12 10:08 AM
Lazer MMA

donnybrook - The judge course is definitely gonna happen on Saturday, August 25th. It will be a 5 hour classroom course followed by live shadowing that evening. I'm working on hotel discounts right now for those who may be traveling.

If anyone has interest, questions, or knows someone who does, please do not hesitate to email.

There are LOTS of amateur MMA events springing up now in NY. If you want to get involved on the ground level, this is a great opportunity.

Kevin MacDonald
www.refereesolutions.com

TTT
8/14/12 10:54 AM
Tommy Gunnz

what time does the seminar start? how do you get hired to judge even amateur events.....who do i call or go see? can you judge or ref with certification? Phone Post
8/14/12 1:12 PM
donnybrook

I'm waiting to hear back on which hotel we are using, but, regardless the course will begin at 11am. We will finish about 4pm (depending on how much time you wish to take on your exam)

That will give enough time to grab something to eat and change before the fights.

As amateur events are sanctioned by individual sanctioning bodies, that is who should be doing the hiring. Your best bet is to reach out to the individual promoters or sanctioning bodies to see what their requirements are.

Should you successfully pass the course and exam you will receive a Certificate of Successful Completion. As an Officials Trainer, I do not "certify" anyone. That is the job of the sanctioning body and/or state commission. The certificate recognizes that you possess the knowledge of both the sport and the scoring criteria. Whether you can actually make a proficcent MMA judge or not depends on how you use your judgement over a period of time.

Kevin

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.