UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> PS2 Questions

8/9/12 1:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BKViper
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never owned a PS2.  I had a PS1, quit gaming for several years, and then got a PS3.
I have discovered several games that look like a lot of fun for the PS2.
I have the slim PS3, so it's not backwards compatible.
But I can pick up a PS2 for around $40-$50 and most of the game range from $2-$10.
My question, it appears there are two versions, like the PS3 (original and slim).  Are there any differences that I should consider buying an original model?
Also, feel free to share any PS2 games you thought were great.
8/9/12 9:05 PM
PepperUK
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Buy slim one, it's newer. Phone Post
8/10/12 1:04 AM
kingofpancakes80
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get the slim. ps2 was an awesome system with a ton of awesome games.
8/10/12 1:32 AM
kingofpancakes80
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm having a bit of a mental block trying to remember all the games i used to love.

off the top of my head, if you haven't played them:

gta vice city
gta san andreas
final fantasy 10
resident evil 4

8/10/12 10:03 AM
None So Blind
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shadow of the Colossus

Ico

Okami

I don't care if you're Bill Gates and gargle XBox semen daily, you are not a true gamer if you haven't at least tried these.
8/10/12 2:32 PM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll hook you up with a sweet 60GB PS3!
8/10/12 2:34 PM
BKViper
451 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/10/12 2:44 PM
Shadow of the Colossus Ico Okami
I got the Colossus/Ico HD pack for PS3.  Honestly, I didn't care for either one.
I found Ico to be slow and boring, and on Shadow I got stuck before ever find a Collosus and could not figure out how to climb a wall.  I got so pissed after trying it over and over for an hour that I sent the game back to Gamefly the same day it came!

I have heard good things about Okami though.
Tys - I'll hook you up with a sweet 60GB PS3!
 I have a PS3. 

One of the games I really want is Tourist Trophy.  It is made by the Gran Turismo team, but it is motorcycles instead of cars.
These are some of the other games I have had suggested to me:
FF X & XII
Resident Evil 4
Rachet and Clank: Up Your Arsenel
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear Solid 3

I have already played the God of War games on the PS3 HD versions.

8/10/12 5:26 PM
None So Blind
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't say you should like them - only that you should try them :-)

Ico is slow, true, and SotC takes a while to get going - but it is worth it if you can beat 1 or 2 of the Colossi and get into it...
8/10/12 10:26 PM
supersaiyan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i still have my PS2 and its still working n all .

i cant tell you how many hours i put in playing San Andreas on that badboy lol and loved playing God of War 2 along with Ninja Gaiden Black. (good ass times )

the games for that console are are pretty good even if dated...i still havent played BLACK.. i have seen games in Gamestop w ith specials for 7 games for 10bux or some while dirt cheap prices
8/12/12 9:50 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BKViper - 
Shadow of the Colossus Ico Okami
I got the Colossus/Ico HD pack for PS3.  Honestly, I didn't care for either one.
I found Ico to be slow and boring, and on Shadow I got stuck before ever find a Collosus and could not figure out how to climb a wall.  I got so pissed after trying it over and over for an hour that I sent the game back to Gamefly the same day it came!

I have heard good things about Okami though.
Tys - I'll hook you up with a sweet 60GB PS3!
 I have a PS3. 

One of the games I really want is Tourist Trophy.  It is made by the Gran Turismo team, but it is motorcycles instead of cars.
These are some of the other games I have had suggested to me:
FF X & XII
Resident Evil 4
Rachet and Clank: Up Your Arsenel
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear Solid 3

I have already played the God of War games on the PS3 HD versions.

re: SOTC...   Seriously? It didn't occur to you to google it and maybe get some sense of the game before ragequitting? It's only one of the best reviewed games on any sytem ever... It actually TELLS you how to climb the wall the first time...
8/12/12 10:36 PM
Delorian
263 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you own a PS2, you absolutely must own Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.  It's without a doubt the greatest game on that system, not to mention being a highly underrated MMA game that offers a fucking TON of replay value.  

It's the single best decision I ever made after I brought my PS2 back to life. 
8/14/12 4:04 PM
Andy the man

PS2 > PS3
8/17/12 12:53 PM
Sofa King Cool
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Delorian -  If you own a PS2, you absolutely must own Fire Pro Wrestling Returns.  It's without a doubt the greatest game on that system, not to mention being a highly underrated MMA game that offers a fucking TON of replay value.  

It's the single best decision I ever made after I brought my PS2 back to life. 
I just bought this game.

Waiting for it to arrive. Based on reviews and YouTube videos, I'm pretty pumped. Phone Post
8/17/12 4:44 PM
BKViper

OK, I got a PS2 and the following games for a starter pack:

FYI, the motorcycle games are what spawned my desire to pick one up.

- Tourist Trophy
- Suzuki TT Superbikes
- Burnout 3 Takedown
- Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Kingdom Hearts
- Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

The PS2, the games, and an extra wireless controller game to a grand total of $75.  Just slightly more than I paid for my last PS3 game!  LOL
8/17/12 4:49 PM
Andy the man

The 007 games for the PS2 are MUST HAVES! And so is the Smackdown! game with The Rock and Hulk Hogan on the cover.
8/17/12 5:21 PM
Sofa King Cool
323 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BKViper - OK, I got a PS2 and the following games for a starter pack:

FYI, the motorcycle games are what spawned my desire to pick one up.

- Tourist Trophy
- Suzuki TT Superbikes
- Burnout 3 Takedown
- Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Kingdom Hearts
- Fire Pro Wrestling Returns

The PS2, the games, and an extra wireless controller game to a grand total of $75.  Just slightly more than I paid for my last PS3 game!  LOL
I bought one yesterday and picked up MGS3, Vice City, Fire Pro, and Battlefront 2 for 70 bucks. Phone Post
8/17/12 5:45 PM
Teenage mutant lesnar turtle
531 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So many great games on ps2. Incredible system. Phone Post
8/21/12 2:50 PM
FLMikeATT

ps2 has the best library of any system imo
8/22/12 2:15 PM
BKViper

So I hooked up the PS2 and it looks like crap.
No it's not because it is old tech, it just looked wrong.
I read online that it's because of how new HDTVs handle the older signal.
I dragged out an old glass tube standard TV, and it instantly looked 10 times better!
I initially hooked it up to my HDTV with the included component (3 wire) cables.
I also read online that the composite (5 wire) connections make a big difference, so I ordered one and will report back after it arrives.

Is anyone here running a PS2 on an HDTV, and do you have any suggestions to improve the picture, like settings on the TV or PS2?
8/22/12 2:54 PM
Sofa King Cool

^ I was also thinking that it looked like shit. I do t have any old TVs, unfortunately. Let me know if the composite cables are worth it. Phone Post
8/22/12 3:44 PM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the 5 way cable helps but the PS2 only puts out 480p for certain games, and VERY few at 1080i.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

But you pop in one of the 480 games and switch cables and it makes a WORLD of difference. SOTC or GOW2 look great.
8/22/12 5:32 PM
BKViper

The main reason I bought the PS2 (motorcycle game Tourist Trophy) is one of the very few games that does 1080i accroding to that!  Sweet.  Can't wait to get the new cable now.
8/23/12 7:09 PM
BKViper

Edited: 08/24/12 1:44 PM
Got the component cable today and it made a HUGE difference in quality.
If you have a PS2 hooked to an HDTV, you have to get the component (5 wire) cable, as the difference over the composite (3 wire) is night and day.
Tourist Trophy, which supports 1080i looks as good as most PS3 games.
And the rest of the games don't feel like too much of a downgrade over PS3 games as compared to the other cable which honestly made it look worse than a PS1.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H80BYE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00 Phone Post  
8/24/12 12:18 PM
Sofa King Cool

Thanks BKViper. Consider yourself vtfu'd when I get to a PC. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.