UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Olympic lifters grip strength?

8/9/12 6:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HayemakeredByHaye
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I dont know much about Oly lifts, though I enjoyed watching it this Olympics.

How strong would the grips of the top guys be?

How do you think a guy like prime H Rezazadeh would do with the captains of crrush grippers?
8/10/12 2:43 AM
Chocolate Shatner
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends, really. The type of grip strength they use (static hold) is different than that of a CoC gripper (crushing).

That being said, they would do quite well, and I'm sure most could close the #2 or #3 easily, at least at the higher weight classes.

I would say that the set of athletes that would have the most grip strength would be judo, because they often have to use both static and crushing grip strength in their event.
8/10/12 11:17 AM
Chocolate Shatner
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

P4P, the smaller lifter/fighter will most likely be stronger than a larger one. Meanwhile, the larger person will most likely have the higher limit strength.

Look at the results. The guy who won the Olympics in the +105 weight class weighs about 150 kilos, and had a total of 452 (a record). This works out to a little over 3x BW.

Meanwhile, the guy who won the 62 kilo class had a total of 327 (another world record), for a ratio of 5.2x BW.

The same applies in grip strength as well.
8/10/12 3:19 PM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good but I would guess not as strong as powerlifters Phone Post
8/10/12 5:21 PM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually, powerlifters pull more but weightlifters chuck it about Phone Post
8/10/12 6:59 PM
1st Round Armbar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chocolate Shatner - Depends, really. The type of grip strength they use (static hold) is different than that of a CoC gripper (crushing).

That being said, they would do quite well, and I'm sure most could close the #2 or #3 easily, at least at the higher weight classes.

I would say that the set of athletes that would have the most grip strength would be judo, because they often have to use both static and crushing grip strength in their event.
CoCk gripper? Phone Post
8/24/12 7:07 AM
Squatdog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Olympic Lifters use a 'hook grip', which means they grab their thumb over the bar with their first two fingers and use it as a lever.

The grip isn't static because the bar goes through a wide range of motion and is held and different angles to the body during lifting.
8/25/12 5:08 AM
HULC
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Squatdog - Olympic Lifters use a 'hook grip', which means they grab their thumb over the bar with their first two fingers and use it as a lever.

The grip isn't static because the bar goes through a wide range of motion and is held and different angles to the body during lifting.

It's static in that the fingers stay in the same position. Crushing would involve curling the fingers into a fist, and pinch grip would be using the thumb and fingers as opposite sides of a vice.
8/25/12 10:34 AM
Squatdog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In terms of not actually squeezing the bar maximally maybe, but the grip is dynamic and gets readjusted when you rack in the Clean.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.