UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Varner: I could have beat Lauzon in a boring fight

8/9/12 10:51 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

“With my fighting style, I fight with reckless abandon," said Jamie Varner reflecting on his UFC on FOX 4 loss to Joe Lauzon Saturday night. "I think that’s why I got Fight of the Night. I think that’s why people enjoy watching me fight. It’s because I don’t stop. You live by the sword, you die by the sword, unfortunately. Because I fight so hard and I scramble a lot I put myself in bad positions and I do get caught. And it sucks, but like I said, I’d rather fight hard and have people enjoy watching me fight than just always go out there and fight not to lose.”

“I could’ve beat Joe Lauzon with a jab. I could’ve ran, thrown the jab, thrown kicks, kept him away, and won a boring fight; won a boring decision. I could’ve done that in the third round too. But no, I wanted to put pressure on him. I wanted to be exciting. I wanted to go for the finish,” he explained. “I’m always looking for the finish. And unfortunately I got caught.”  

8/9/12 10:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kerouac
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goddammit...I was starting to like him again.
8/9/12 10:55 PM
Sketchd
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kerouac - Goddammit...I was starting to like him again.

8/9/12 11:03 PM
Tommyunited
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Varner is awesome. And so is joe. 2 exciting lightweights. Fuckin awesome fight. Phone Post
8/9/12 11:06 PM
minotauro11
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sketchd -

. Phone Post
8/9/12 11:10 PM
Johnny D
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blah blah blah, could have, should have, yeah I like loosing better than winning if I put on a good show. Nothing but a bunch of B.S. I like Varner, but please cut the crap. Phone Post
8/9/12 11:10 PM
Kostakio
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kerouac - Goddammit...I was starting to like him again.
Why? He's right though. But the same could be said for Lauzon as well. He, too, could've fought reserved and kept him away all night en route to a decision victory. Varner isn't trying to toot his own horn here, imo. Instead, he's just kind of bummed out on the fact that he fought with an exciting style and it didn't work in his favor this time. But he realizes fans prefer to watch him fight like that and that things could've been different if he fought boringly so he's like, "Whatever." Phone Post
8/9/12 11:14 PM
Another Foob
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He could beat him in an exciting fight too. It just didn't work out that way this time. Great fight; they both looked excellent.
8/9/12 11:19 PM
Tubarao

Didn't he say that same shit when he lost to Ben Henderson??? DON'T FIGHT FOR THE FUCKING FANS, FIGHT TO WIN DAMN IT!
Leonard Garcia tries to pull the same crap after his loses his fights that he, "goes in to put on show for the fans" but says nothing about his poor performance.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE Varner shouldn't have been going for TD's against a guy like Luazon. Phone Post
8/9/12 11:20 PM
BrutalBackus
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe could say the same.
8/9/12 11:27 PM
Kerouac

Kostakio - 
Kerouac - Goddammit...I was starting to like him again.
Why? He's right though. But the same could be said for Lauzon as well. He, too, could've fought reserved and kept him away all night en route to a decision victory. Varner isn't trying to toot his own horn here, imo. Instead, he's just kind of bummed out on the fact that he fought with an exciting style and it didn't work in his favor this time. But he realizes fans prefer to watch him fight like that and that things could've been different if he fought boringly so he's like, "Whatever." Phone Post

How is he right? How do you know that if he just " jab'd and ran " he would have beaten Joe?

Don't get me wrong, he fought great, Joe fought better, much better.

Maybe cardio had something to do with it, but I'm thinking Joe, always moving forward, throwing crisp shots and discouraging Varner when he just started walking through those hooks, contributed to his gassing and his losing.

I say Joe wins that fight 9/10 times.

Anyway, that's besides the point...He shouldn't have said that. Pretty much mocking Joe, saying he only won because Jamie didn't care about winning. Come on.
8/9/12 11:33 PM
Kostakio
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't say he'd win. But he might've. Like I said, the same could be said for Lauzon and anyone else who has fought exciting but got caught. The point is that we'll never know and it's "whatever" because thankfully both Varner and Lauzon have awesome styles. Phone Post
8/9/12 11:40 PM
Ew0k187

You gotta hespect that Phone Post
8/9/12 11:43 PM
lgi

I said he could have, not that he would have.
8/9/12 11:43 PM
Kerouac

Everyone agrees that Varner won the first two rounds?

Hmmm

1st round goes to Varner, no problem.

2nd round, Joe always moving forward, better hit percentage, takedowns...

How did ANYONE give Varner the 2nd round?
8/9/12 11:45 PM
MachidasBrew 209TT

Respect this man. Phone Post
8/10/12 12:10 AM
XFactah416
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think most people agreed that it was 19-19 heading into the last round..

Regardless though both Lauzon and Varner brought it and for that I and many other viewers (including Dana) are thankful.
8/10/12 12:11 AM
ChaosOverkill
739 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

minotauro11 - 
Sketchd -

. Phone Post

8/10/12 12:21 AM
RileyPust
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know how anyone could be upset with his comment. He's not saying he's a better fighter than Lauzon, he's basically saying "UFC you should keep me around because I'm exciting, even if I do lose."
8/10/12 12:24 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RileyPust - I don't know how anyone could be upset with his comment. He's not saying he's a better fighter than Lauzon, he's basically saying "UFC you should keep me around because I'm exciting, even if I do lose."
. Phone Post
8/10/12 12:26 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whats wrong with what he said? Maybe he still would have lost. But he tried to be exciting and was. You guys are hard to please. Phone Post
8/10/12 12:26 AM
Poindexter
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix the safe fighting, the jab and movement, with some well-calculated finishes. Losing is not a long-term career strategy given how fickle Mr. White is.
8/10/12 1:08 AM
YonYones
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My respect is given to anyone that fights in the UFC. Excuses like this are lame though
8/10/12 1:08 AM
Freakin 10er
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Whether he could have or not is up for debate but that isn't the message. I appreciate his willingness to fight; it was a fun fight to watch and I wish more guys had that mentality.
8/10/12 1:14 AM
KZTT_I heart Mazzagatti

What a rotten thing to say Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.