UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Can Christians smoke weed?

8/10/12 5:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kway
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes or No?
8/10/12 11:19 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IMO, yes, as long as it is for medical reasons or for pain, and is legal where you are. If used as medicine and legal, because to a Christian, our bible says not to drink to drunkeness, and to abide by the laws your government has set up for you because god has placed them in that position for a reason. (this, providing they don't impose laws that don't allow us to worship our God)

That being said, I am also one of the rare Christians that knows it's ok to drink. I said drink, not get drunk. The reason I don't drink however is because a verse in the bible that makes perfect sense that states more or less that we shouldn't do things that might offend a fellow believer, and cause their conscience to be damaged. If a brother or sister in the faith who is dead set against alcohol touching ones lips sees me drinking one beer, their opinion of me is damaged, and the closeness that needs to be there in order to be one as the lord commanded is demolished.

So Paul says, "if eating meat causes my brother to be offended and stumble, I will never eat meat again"

It's nothing to really over-think. It's all about motive, and we should as a whole all the in the habit of self-examination Phone Post
8/11/12 10:47 AM
Ridgeback
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For medicine maybe.  For recreation it is hard to be vigilant and sober when you are high so I would say no.  I wouldn't judge a Christian who does smoke it, but I can't really make a case for Christians doing it that holds water.  I wouldn't hesitate to get some weed for a loved one who was suffering, especially with the way medicine is practiced these days.  But there is also a Christian wish for a conscious death so you have time to prepare yourself, and being completely out of it would prevent that to some degree.  Better to die with a clear mind if you can.  
8/11/12 11:42 AM
gord96
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sure if you want to. No different then drinking. However, just like alcohol, weed can hold us down to this 'world' if used too much. Alcohol and weed are road blocks to further growth spiritually in my opinion. Sure I still like to sip on whiskey at night, but to overindulge in either just leads nowhere. A person wants to remain spiritually 'sharp', and too much substance abuse just dulls everything.

A good question is how often does one smoke weed? Is it more then once a day? Every day? Do they get agitated when they don't have it? Does one's mental state change when they are forced to go a week or longer without it? If any of those are the case then some self examination is in order. I had to do that once or twice when it came to drinking.

A lot comes down to how it effects you as well. Weed puts me on another planet, so I avoid it. I can have a couple of whiskeys and stop. Others once they start drinking they can't stop. So abstinence is a good route for some folks.

Of course right now in North America weed is illegal. If this bothers your conscience it is something to consider.

Grace and peace.
8/11/12 11:47 AM
gord96
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed - The reason I don't drink however is because a verse in the bible that makes perfect sense that states more or less that we shouldn't do things that might offend a fellow believer, and cause their conscience to be damaged. If a brother or sister in the faith who is dead set against alcohol touching ones lips sees me drinking one beer, their opinion of me is damaged, and the closeness that needs to be there in order to be one as the lord commanded is demolished.

If a person struggles or has struggled with alcohol that is a very valid point, and out of love and compassion for another I would abstain around them.

However if someone is dead set against booze just because they are being legalistic, I really wouldn't worry too much.
8/11/12 3:46 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 -
DyingBreed - The reason I don't drink however is because a verse in the bible that makes perfect sense that states more or less that we shouldn't do things that might offend a fellow believer, and cause their conscience to be damaged. If a brother or sister in the faith who is dead set against alcohol touching ones lips sees me drinking one beer, their opinion of me is damaged, and the closeness that needs to be there in order to be one as the lord commanded is demolished.

If a person struggles or has struggled with alcohol that is a very valid point, and out of love and compassion for another I would abstain around them.

However if someone is dead set against booze just because they are being legalistic, I really wouldn't worry too much.
I see your point completely. I just wouldn't because the want to keep peace outweighs the want for a drink for me. Like eating meat would have bothered some of Pauls brothers Phone Post
8/11/12 3:59 PM
Kway
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good answers. Thanks guys.
8/13/12 7:14 PM
Caleb
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I'm completely against it. I would assume taking a puff or two would classify as getting high and would be equivalent to getting drunk or losing control of your mind and this is what Paul (insprired by God) specifically spoke of not doing.  Not to mention it is illegal and we are to obey the laws of the land. Now, if you are talking about for medical reasons, that is a little bit more of a grey area for me. 
8/13/12 7:17 PM
Caleb
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ridgeback -  For medicine maybe.  For recreation it is hard to be vigilant and sober when you are high so I would say no.  I wouldn't judge a Christian who does smoke it, but I can't really make a case for Christians doing it that holds water.  I wouldn't hesitate to get some weed for a loved one who was suffering, especially with the way medicine is practiced these days.  But there is also a Christian wish for a conscious death so you have time to prepare yourself, and being completely out of it would prevent that to some degree.  Better to die with a clear mind if you can.  

You wouldn't judge a Christian "lovingly" who was breaking the law by smoking weed for recreational purposes? Perhaps Judge is a harsh word, how about talk to them about how breaking the law is against God's word? 

8/14/12 3:52 AM
DyingBreed

Caleb - I'm completely against it. I would assume taking a puff or two would classify as getting high and would be equivalent to getting drunk or losing control of your mind and this is what Paul (insprired by God) specifically spoke of not doing.  Not to mention it is illegal and we are to obey the laws of the land. Now, if you are talking about for medical reasons, that is a little bit more of a grey area for me. 
I was speaking of legal medical mj myself Phone Post
8/14/12 2:56 PM
Caleb

DyingBreed - 
Caleb - I'm completely against it. I would assume taking a puff or two would classify as getting high and would be equivalent to getting drunk or losing control of your mind and this is what Paul (insprired by God) specifically spoke of not doing.  Not to mention it is illegal and we are to obey the laws of the land. Now, if you are talking about for medical reasons, that is a little bit more of a grey area for me. 
I was speaking of legal medical mj myself Phone Post

Yeah, I agreed with your response. I'm unsure about where I stand on the medical use part, I would have to do more research on that. But for recreational, that is 100% a no go. 

8/14/12 4:57 PM
Ridgeback
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caleb - 
Ridgeback -  For medicine maybe.  For recreation it is hard to be vigilant and sober when you are high so I would say no.  I wouldn't judge a Christian who does smoke it, but I can't really make a case for Christians doing it that holds water.  I wouldn't hesitate to get some weed for a loved one who was suffering, especially with the way medicine is practiced these days.  But there is also a Christian wish for a conscious death so you have time to prepare yourself, and being completely out of it would prevent that to some degree.  Better to die with a clear mind if you can.  

You wouldn't judge a Christian "lovingly" who was breaking the law by smoking weed for recreational purposes? Perhaps Judge is a harsh word, how about talk to them about how breaking the law is against God's word? 

I think prohibition is an unjust set of laws so no I would not take that approach.  As far as God's word I assume you mean the Bible and I see no injunctions specifically against weed although you could make an argument, as I did, that being high is not conducive to being sober and vigilant.  But it would be one of those things I would hope that a person would realize on his own and give up willingly for the sake of closer union with God, not because it was some kind of law breaking.
8/14/12 8:16 PM
gord96

I see your point completely. I just wouldn't because the want to keep peace outweighs the want for a drink for me. Like eating meat would have bothered some of Pauls brothers

You might just be doing them a favor if you had a drink around them. I was a somewhat legalistic bastard myself for a while. Someone finally smacked me with a little truth and I woke up. Legalism leads you further from God, not closer to God. ;)
8/14/12 8:56 PM
Caleb

Ridgeback - 
Caleb - 

I think prohibition is an unjust set of laws so no I would not take that approach.  As far as God's word I assume you mean the Bible and I see no injunctions specifically against weed although you could make an argument, as I did, that being high is not conducive to being sober and vigilant.  But it would be one of those things I would hope that a person would realize on his own and give up willingly for the sake of closer union with God, not because it was some kind of law breaking.

I completely disagree with you. It's the law and you don't break the law period. You don't pick and choose what laws you think are just or not. The bible doesn't specifically talk about weed but it does say not to be a drunkard and getting high IMO is the same exact thing, therefore it is against scripture(God's word). 

8/14/12 10:39 PM
Ridgeback

Caleb - 
Ridgeback - 
Caleb - 

I completely disagree with you. It's the law and you don't break the law period. You don't pick and choose what laws you think are just or not. The bible doesn't specifically talk about weed but it does say not to be a drunkard and getting high IMO is the same exact thing, therefore it is against scripture(God's word). 

Well this certainly isn't the lesson of the early Christians.  Thousands of them were slaughtered for breaking Roman law, including failing to worship the emperor or one of the gods of the Roman pantheon.  St. Paul and St. Peter were both executed by the state as law breakers.  St. Maria of Paris was executed for breaking Nazi law by helping Jews escape if you want a modern example.  Lots of laws are unjust and Christians are called to disobey those if it means compromising their faith.  Now doing drugs would not be one of those things, but Prohibition is still nevertheless unjust because it leads to the deaths of innocents and results in the imprisonment of non-violent offenders, especially minorities.  

Not sure what you disagree with on the second part.  I already pointed out twice that getting high is not conducive to being sober and vigilant.  
8/15/12 3:41 AM
DyingBreed

gord96 -
I see your point completely. I just wouldn't because the want to keep peace outweighs the want for a drink for me. Like eating meat would have bothered some of Pauls brothers

You might just be doing them a favor if you had a drink around them. I was a somewhat legalistic bastard myself for a while. Someone finally smacked me with a little truth and I woke up. Legalism leads you further from God, not closer to God. ;)
"might" being the key word. What if it doesn't end up resulting in a "favor"? If you don't have a drink at all, the situation is avoided entirely with no possibility of offense Phone Post
8/15/12 8:49 AM
Caleb

Ridgeback - 
Caleb - 
Ridgeback - 
Caleb - 

Well this certainly isn't the lesson of the early Christians.  Thousands of them were slaughtered for breaking Roman law, including failing to worship the emperor or one of the gods of the Roman pantheon.  St. Paul and St. Peter were both executed by the state as law breakers.  St. Maria of Paris was executed for breaking Nazi law by helping Jews escape if you want a modern example.  Lots of laws are unjust and Christians are called to disobey those if it means compromising their faith.  Now doing drugs would not be one of those things, but Prohibition is still nevertheless unjust because it leads to the deaths of innocents and results in the imprisonment of non-violent offenders, especially minorities.  

Not sure what you disagree with on the second part.  I already pointed out twice that getting high is not conducive to being sober and vigilant.  

You said  "I think prohibition is an unjust set of laws so no I would not take that approach" In response to me asking if you would have a talk with your Christian friend about not smoking weed recreationally.That is what I disagree with you about.

I would lovingly tell my Christian brother that smoking weed for recreational purposes is simply ungodly. 
8/15/12 2:03 PM
JitsuGuy
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Christians murder all the time, I don't see how smoking weed would be any worse.
8/15/12 2:08 PM
JitsuGuy
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caleb - 
Ridgeback - 
Caleb - 
Ridgeback - 
Caleb - 

You said  "I think prohibition is an unjust set of laws so no I would not take that approach" In response to me asking if you would have a talk with your Christian friend about not smoking weed recreationally.That is what I disagree with you about.

I would lovingly tell my Christian brother that smoking weed for recreational purposes is simply ungodly. 

I wouldn't use "godly" or "ungodly" as a mechanism for judging good or bad. I mean, how many people did God murder? Wouldn't that make murder "godly?"

So murder is godly but smoking a plant for your own personal enjoyment is "ungodly."

Gotcha.
8/15/12 2:17 PM
Kway

Can someone quote scripture that says, one must not lose control? Thanks.
8/15/12 2:29 PM
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DyingBreed - 
gord96 -

"might" being the key word. What if it doesn't end up resulting in a "favor"? If you don't have a drink at all, the situation is avoided entirely with no possibility of offense Phone Post

No possibility of offense sounds good but I've seen people get upset when someone won't drink with them, and start insulting people: 'What'sa matter holy roller, can't even have a beer?' 'So you're saying I'm going to hell if I drink a beer? Hahahaha!'
8/15/12 2:29 PM
prof
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kway,

I agree, the answers on this thread by Christians on this issue are well presented and thoughtful.

Prof.
8/15/12 2:31 PM
Grakman

jitsu, are you turning into the post-christian angry atheist guy now? lol
8/15/12 2:33 PM
Grakman

prof, what is not thoughtful and well presented about Ridgeback's answer? Seems like it to me.
8/15/12 2:43 PM
Grakman

kway,
Don't know about 'losing control,' but there is:

Romans 13:13 Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.

Galatians 5:19-21 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery...drunkenness, orgies, and the like.

Ephesians 5:18 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.