UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Opinions of UK Olympic Boxers?

8/11/12 6:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 into the finals with a guaranteed silver.

One bronze.

3 knocked out in earlier rounds.

What do you think of the combatants so far?

I was impressed by Josh Taylor in his first fight, but he was deservedly beaten by the Italian former world champ.

Ogogo is a strong lad who would adapt to the pro ranks easily. Probably the same as Stalker.

Although all those three are out.
8/11/12 1:56 PM
buddie
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anthony Joshua looks pretty good to me as far as modern HWs go. The guy has good size and athleticism. I believe he will win gold. He's much better than Audley Harrison IMO.
8/11/12 2:55 PM
Joe Ray

He is a big strong HW with decent reach and punch.

He could well win gold.

Speaking of Fraudley, he is fighting David Price for the British HW title soon.

I expect Price to KO him in 3 rounds or less.
8/11/12 2:57 PM
Joe Ray

Finals start in half an hour.

Brits in the bantamweight, welterweight and heavyweight finals.

Where are the Cubans these days?

8/11/12 4:59 PM
buddie
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cuba just got a gold and Inglesias looked really good (I hope he defects). Joshua should beat Camarelle, his last fight was a much tougher challenge. Camarelle is a punch/clinch/make it as ugly as possible type fighter. He reminded me a lot of John Ruiz.
8/12/12 9:13 AM
Joe Ray

Fred Evans up next in the welterweight final.

Anthony Joshua on in about an hour.
8/12/12 9:14 AM
Joe Ray

Edited: 08/12/12 9:14 AM
Cuba just won flyweight(I think it was) gold.
8/12/12 11:51 AM
Joe Ray

I don't think Fred Evans even realised he was in an Olympic final. He was dominated and never got out of first gear.

Joshua won but he is very rough. He is only 22 though and has only been boxing for 4 years.

If he make his jab the basis of his game he should improve lots

8/12/12 12:58 PM
LordSeano
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joshua has a future in the game for sure - that was only his 43rd fight!!!!

I think Ogogo's style will adapt well. Evans looked liked he was fucking terrified - completely overwhelmed by the situation.

\Campbell looked good too though.

Was by the most impressed with Adams - she looked like she would hold her own against the mens division under these olympic rules.

All in all though 3 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze was a fucking excellent olympic campaign for GB
8/12/12 1:36 PM
buddie

Joshua has good size and athleticism, and he looks like he has some power, but yes, he's rough. I read that he worked with Lennox Lewis a little right before the games on refining his jab, which is a good sign. I think people will have high hopes for him. Maybe in a few years he can get some experience as a pro and get a showdown with a fading Kilitchko or two.
8/12/12 2:13 PM
buddie

Here is the SHW finals

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/boxing/finals-mens-52-60-69-81-91-kg.html

fight starts around 2:01, the streaming for these events kind of sucks, but its nice to be able to see the fights.
8/12/12 2:15 PM
Joe Ray

If you are in the UK you could watch every single fight on the BBC website.

I can't tell if you could do that from the US.

I hope not(we pay the bloody licence fee!).
8/12/12 3:51 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anthony Joshua should have lost to Savon, and I don't think he beat Cammarelle either. So his gold medal is a little suspect.

Just my opinion. I've had enough of trying to guess what these Olympic judges look for in a winner, though.
8/12/12 4:22 PM
buddie

He won that fight, had a few rough moments getting nailed in the corner, but he won. And to say he would have lost to Savon? Yes, and... ?

That's like saying that because Floyd would have lost to Ray Robinson at 147, he clearly isn't a legit champ.
8/12/12 5:02 PM
Joe Ray

Buddie, Joshua defeated Felix Savon's nephew, Erislandy Savon in his first fight at 2012.

lol.
8/12/12 5:12 PM
LordSeano
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he clearly won the fight against cammarelle.

I thought the scoring in the second round was bonkers to award it 5-3 to camarelle.

Agree he lost to savon though
8/13/12 7:01 AM
Flying knee
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big josh from walking into a gym on his cousins recommendation to Olympic gold medal in four years. Amazing Phone Post
8/13/12 7:21 AM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Joshua waits a few years to turn pro. He has the world at his feet. I'd say wait 2 years for everything to cool down, get some experience and turn pro under far less spotlight Phone Post
8/13/12 2:46 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Ray - Buddie, Joshua defeated Felix Savon's nephew, Erislandy Savon in his first fight at 2012.

lol.

^What he said, buddie.
8/15/12 5:21 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Props to the Brits that you guys can even have this discussion. Back in the US, all that we have to sustain us is memories of our prior greatness.
8/16/12 4:03 AM
Evzey
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobinHood - I read an article that discussed that the AIBA are keen to review the points system to make the contests closer to the pro- fights. This should deliver improved fights for fans and better opportunities for the US Boxing. Phone Post
This needs to happen. I don't think I jab should score the same as a knockdown Phone Post
8/16/12 10:32 AM
Sardinian pride

I thought Camarelle deserved to win against Joshua,it was close but the Italian did a bit more in my opinion . Phone Post
8/19/12 12:19 PM
HayemakeredByHaye
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terry Edwards said 6 years ago that Britain could be the new Cuba. Its all about training.

Looks like he was onto something. Britain and Ireland the best boxers in the world!

The US has not been a force for a long time. They ususally have the odd star that shines through that makes people forget.

Blame the NFL aall you want , but that doesnt explain the lower weights.
8/20/12 9:00 PM
buddie

There are a host of reasons that the US doesn't have the type of boxing stars it used to have. I can name about 20 things off the top of my head that have completely fucked amateur boxing in this country.

This is what Olympic boxing in the SHW division should look like IMO.

Lennox Lewis vs Tyrell Bigss ('84 Olympics)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjUC6xys_QA&feature=related

Better yet, Lennox (4 years better in '88) and a better US SHW in Riddick Bowe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K39AbwNl3QU

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.