UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> any shooting tips?

8/11/12 9:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Russ
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm a brand new hunter this year(going out with experienced friends though)
i have an older 30-06 that was my dads that i had a gunsmith go through and make sure everything is in good shape.
when i'm on a rest i can shoot pretty decent to 100 yards and can do ok at 200 yards.
the problem is if i try and free stand and shoot i can barely hit 50 yards
if i prop myself up against something i can hit 100 ok

i am bloody shaky though, any tips or tricks or is it just a matter of practice?
thanks guys
8/12/12 7:11 AM
Blue Duck
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Standing up with no rest of any kind is about the toughest shot you could take. Even the best shooters will try to use a rest of some sort...nothing wrong with that at all. 3 tips for the shaking...1) use a rest of some sort, 2) squeeze the trigger gently; don't jerk the trigger, 3) take a breath, exhale about half, stop and take your shot. Practice. The more familiar you are with the rifle the less "flinchy" you'll be behind the trigger...particularly when some monster buck walks in front of you for the first time and your heart wants to jump out of your body.
8/12/12 10:45 AM
Russ
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

:) thanks i'll practice it until it seems a little better

i really i hope i hold it together when that monster buck comes close lol doubtful though
8/12/12 10:51 AM
Blue Duck
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what makes it fun. Which was more exciting/memorable...the first time you hit it with your wife/girlfriend or the 150th time? ;)
8/12/12 4:02 PM
Russ

Hahahahaha great analogy Phone Post
8/20/12 11:46 AM
DragonWrath
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/20/12 11:46 AM
As already mentioned, that's gonna be one of the hardest positions to shoot from because it's all on you to stabalize for the shot [which is exhausting]. A few things that might help:
1) Using a two point sling you can put under tension can sometimes help keep the rifle in place.

2) Take a knee and rest the elbow of your support arm on your knee. This, obviously, assumes that the shots you need to take can be performed from this position.

3) Use anything & everything around you to find some way to take some of the work off your shoulders when holding the gun steady. Even just driving it sideways into a nearby tree can make things a lot easier.[Sounds like you're already exploring this strategy to some extent]
8/20/12 7:58 PM
Russ

DragonWrath - As already mentioned, that's gonna be one of the hardest positions to shoot from because it's all on you to stabalize for the shot [which is exhausting]. A few things that might help:
1) Using a two point sling you can put under tension can sometimes help keep the rifle in place.

2) Take a knee and rest the elbow of your support arm on your knee. This, obviously, assumes that the shots you need to take can be performed from this position.

3) Use anything & everything around you to find some way to take some of the work off your shoulders when holding the gun steady. Even just driving it sideways into a nearby tree can make things a lot easier.[Sounds like you're already exploring this strategy to some extent]

thanks for the advice.
i will use a rest any chance i get but my shots are getting better

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.