UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Clear plates from the bar?

8/12/12 3:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
acamp76144
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've just bought a good quality power rack, Olympic plates and bar for my home gym. It will only be me using it.

Do I need to clear the plates off the bar when I'm done? I can't see how it would damage/bend the bar of its left on the floor after? Phone Post
8/12/12 9:47 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the downward pressure exerted by the plates onto the bar creates a lot of stored up kinetic energy, so if you leave the plates on the bar long enough it could eventually cause the bar to explode.
8/13/12 4:51 PM
SmasherSnu
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

turducken - the downward pressure exerted by the plates onto the bar creates a lot of stored up kinetic energy, so if you leave the plates on the bar long enough it could eventually cause the bar to explode.

seriously?
8/13/12 5:01 PM
dizz
507 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the bar is a lot like Sebastian Shaw
8/13/12 6:07 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RobinHood -  There is a simple in-expensive way to safeguard ones barbell from explosion caused by plate pressure.

A simple copper coil wire should be wrapped about a half dozen times and the hanging wire be firmly touching the rubber matting or other rubber material.

Make sure you wipe down the barbell after use, best to apply talc or chalk IMO. Phone Post

Lives have been saved today.
8/14/12 12:01 AM
12ealdeal

RobinHood - There is a simple in-expensive way to safeguard ones barbell from explosion caused by plate pressure.

A simple copper coil wire should be wrapped about a half dozen times and the hanging wire be firmly touching the rubber matting or other rubber material.

Make sure you wipe down the barbell after use, best to apply talc or chalk IMO. Phone Post
Not sure if serious.

Any link or vid? So I can get a better "picture" Phone Post
8/14/12 12:30 AM
Ashilles
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on quality of bar and how much you are leaving on it.

Always left 50-80 kilos on bar at the shop and never had any bending etc.

They bar was rated to 700kg / 1500lbs Phone Post
8/14/12 2:21 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The gym I used to train at had a barbell explosion. We used the copper wire ever since, to discharge the static that built up Phone Post
8/14/12 4:16 AM
Ham and Egger
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh - The gym I used to train at had a barbell explosion. We used the copper wire ever since, to discharge the static that built up Phone Post
Damn. You always hear about this but it never happens to you. Hope no one was hurt. Phone Post
8/14/12 4:20 AM
Leigh
627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, fortunately it happened during the night after everyone had gone home. Shiny new smith machine took some cosmetic damage
8/14/12 9:52 AM
paw
1175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dizz -  the bar is a lot like Sebastian Shaw

Nearly spit water all over my monitor.....you bastid!  ;)
8/14/12 11:25 AM
DanCrase
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard some fucking horror stories about bars exploding due to kinetic build up off the plates.  It's such a simple and cheap solution to copper secure them, you really only have yourself to blame if it happens to you. 
8/14/12 12:21 PM
acamp76144
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a Texas power bar so good quality.

Presume people just clear them for courtesy at the gym? Phone Post
8/14/12 4:01 PM
kidnemo
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never personally experienced catastrophic bar failure, but one of the gyms I used to do PTs at had multiple bars go up at night if they didn't put all the plates/bars away correctly.
8/14/12 5:59 PM
acamp76144

I better keep an eye on it then and get the copper wire in :) Phone Post
8/14/12 6:05 PM
Ham and Egger
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is actually a term for this phenomenon. BLEVE, pronounced bleh-vee.

Bar
Left
Entirely non
Vacant
Explosion

Type BLEVE into google images to see pics. Its insane. Pretty big concern for us firemen.
8/15/12 10:29 AM
suBJJective warMTh

You guys are idiots.

The bar doesn't get a build up of kinetic energy, it gets a build up of gravitational potential energy which turns into kinetic energy during the explosion.

Most gyms in my area have dedicated free weight monitors to stop things like this happening. Phone Post
8/15/12 10:54 AM
eviladam
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

suBJJective warMTh -  You guys are idiots.

The bar doesn't get a build up of kinetic energy, it gets a build up of gravitational potential energy which turns into kinetic energy during the explosion.

Most gyms in my area have dedicated free weight monitors to stop things like this happening. Phone Post

let's not debate the specific details.

the important thing is to remind people that leaving a bar loaded all the time is an accident waiting to happen. By taking a few simple precautions (copper wire and wiping down the bar) you eliminate a somewhat rare but potentially serious reaction.
8/15/12 11:09 AM
shadallion
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Real talk
8/15/12 11:11 AM
jeremy hamilton
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

eviladam - 

the important thing is to remind people that leaving a bar loaded all the time is an accident waiting to happen. By taking a few simple precautions (copper wire and wiping down the bar) you eliminate a somewhat rare but potentially serious reaction.

Do you wipe down the bar because of static electricity build up? I don't want to hijack a thread but I think there is potential danger with that too.
8/15/12 12:07 PM
disbeliever
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
lol @ comments
8/16/12 8:24 AM
1armedScissor

thread delivers
8/16/12 5:22 PM
MarsMan
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jeremy hamilton - 
eviladam - 

Do you wipe down the bar because of static electricity build up? I don't want to hijack a thread but I think there is potential danger with that too.

I read somewhere that you are supposed to write front to back....for some reason this is very important.
8/16/12 6:28 PM
TartanArmy
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarsMan -
jeremy hamilton - 
eviladam - 

I read somewhere that you are supposed to write front to back....for some reason this is very important.
Yep, wiping front to back equals positive to negative which is safe. Back to front causes a highly explosive negative to positive charge. Only since the hadron collider have we had the cause of this phenomenon.

Stay safe. Phone Post
8/16/12 7:24 PM
MarsMan
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love this forum...there's so much science behind every post...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.