UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Clear plates from the bar?

8/17/12 6:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LordSeano
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What I do if I left the bar for too long in the same position with the plates on (instead of the copper wire) is every 24 hrs flip the bar over so the weight is bearing upwards in the opposite direction.

Repeat every 24 hrs and you will discharge the kinetic build up
8/17/12 9:54 PM
Forrest Spliffn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slow clap.

I didn't know the communal ball breaking game was so on point in this forum.
Clownin in this bitch Phone Post
8/18/12 12:20 AM
12ealdeal

Trying to decipher if serious...or troll....
8/18/12 2:10 AM
Leigh
756 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most bars have an iodized chrome finish. If you wipe it the wrong way you get excess electron build up which has to be discharged. Earthing it with copper wire is sufficient or you can make sure you wipe it equally in both directions.

Do a google search on N doped and P doped materials as used in bipolar transistors and diodes to get a clearer picture and you'll see that direction of electron flow is VERY important Phone Post
8/18/12 9:24 AM
Jacks Wasted Life
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Excellent thread...I haven't been able to lift for a month because I was too close to the blast of a barbell explosion. Hopefully I'm cleared to start light training next week. I can't believe you don't hear more about this. Great job getting the word out guys. Phone Post
8/18/12 10:23 AM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know a guy that was injured in a barbell explosion, and has a metal plate in his head as a result... 2.2kg Ivanko I believe. Stay grounded my friends.
8/24/12 2:36 AM
virux11b
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fucking wow! Phone Post
8/24/12 7:03 AM
Squatdog

At the very least use a copper wire to ground the bar and lessen the risk of an explosion.

There is a simple in-expensive way to safeguard ones barbell from explosion caused by plate pressure.

A simple copper coil wire should be wrapped about a half dozen times and the hanging wire be firmly touching the rubber matting or other rubber material.

Make sure you wipe down the barbell after use, best to apply talc or chalk IMO.

Most Olympic Lifting gyms have a de-gaussing machine.
8/24/12 10:13 PM
kindofawesome

Wow Phone Post
8/25/12 9:57 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bravo
8/27/12 1:28 PM
Bick Koxer
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Serious bar explosion at my gym last night, was coming here to ask if anybody had heard of anything like this happening before and found this thread!  If I had only seen this earlier I could have stopped this from happening.  Going to check the training forums much more regularly from now on!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.