UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> technique problem/question (newaza)

8/12/12 9:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ASanchez83
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I entered a tournament today and I was able to pin my opponent with ushiro kesa gatame. a side ref did not think the pin was valid so it was waved off. can you tell me why? here is the video of the match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI1uTNCxxcM
8/13/12 9:01 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't find the video, please check the numbers/letters after ?v=.
8/13/12 9:32 AM
raleigh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Osaekomi - The referee shall announce osaekomi when the contestant being held is controlled by his opponent. He must have his back, both shoulders, or one shoulder in contact with the mat. Control can be made from the side, from the rear, or from the top. The contestant applying the hold must not have his leg(s) or body controlled by his opponent's legs and at least one contestant must have any part of his body touching the contest area at the announcement of osaekomi. Should any one of these criteria not be met after the announcement of osaekomi, the referee shall immediately call toketa and the hold will be considered broken.

Now I could be wrong here - some refs are assholes when it comes to ne-waza and this call seems particularly egregious
8/13/12 10:57 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/13/12 10:57 AM

Your chest wasn't facing the mat. 
8/13/12 1:38 PM
ASanchez83
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, thank you for your help guys. It was a little confusing with refs disagreeing like they were. Phone Post
8/13/12 6:58 PM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your back can't be facing the opponent in Ushiro kesa gatame with today's rules. All you had to do was turn inward so your left side is against the opponent (and lean inward to make the hold tighter) for the pin to legal. Your left hand can grab the belt on the opposite side (like you did) or sometimes I grab the gi pant by the knee (opponents left knee) and push down with my elbow on the thigh.
8/13/12 8:04 PM
ASanchez83

Thanks for posting the video Jumbo Reverse Shrimp. judoblackbelt, thanks for the tips. I will adjust the technique accordingly.
8/13/12 11:42 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/13/12 11:45 PM
 Yw.

And here are a couple of ushiro kesa gatames that would count as pins.

8/14/12 9:26 AM
judoblackbelt

The pin in the JRS video he used that is now not considered a pin is called Ura Gatame. Maybe you can find it in an old judo book. If you have the Masterclass seies of books,the book Osaekomi illustrates it on Pg.51. All you need is a slight modification in your body angle so your side is pressing against uke and not your back.
8/15/12 9:14 AM
judoblackbelt

That still would be considered a pin since she turned inward like I suggest above and pinning with her side. You can't pin with your back.
8/18/12 10:17 AM
judoblackbelt

From the rules on Osaekomi (e) The contestant applying the hold must have his body in either the Kesa or the Shiho position, i.e. similar to the
techniques Kesa-gatame or Kami-shiho-gatame.

Not sure when exactly this was changed and you couldn't pin with your back to uke. Don't remember this being part of the 2009 rule changes. But it could be. Maybe another forum member might.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.