UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> (Gifs + Pics) Donald Cerrone's Switch Kick

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/13/12 5:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jack Slack
2193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/13/12 5:18 PM

Hey guys,

I normally do a post fight analysis the morning after an event, but I have just never been at all interested in Bendo - Edgar 2, even after watching it unfold. Instead I focused on an actual high level show of striking technique by Donald Cerrone (albeit after showing some questionable fight IQ by running onto Melvin Guillard's fist). I love the switch kick and only discovered it years after I began martial arts because I spent my youth mainly in karate and boxing.

Hope you don't mind clicking the link and as always, all feedback and debate is welcomed!

Cheers,
Jack

UFC 150 was surprisingly decent given that two fights on the card were taken up by Yushin Okami and Jake Shields. While the main event was uninspiring and once again lacked a decisive finish, Donald Cerrone and Melvin Guillard provided the night's most intense excitement over the course of roughly 70 seconds. Cerrone looked characteristically overconfident in his boxing ability as he ran in at Guillard, only to be rattled by his former team-mate's enormous power. Cerrone rallied, however, and delivered his trademark switch kick to finish the bout.

I have always been incredibly fond of the switch kick, and included Badr Hari's variation of it as the very first technique in Advanced Striking. As someone who likes to crouch with his head off-line I have also become incredibly wary of my sparring partner's switch kicks, for if I am over-confident in my head movement I can eat one while ducking. Melvin Guillard's ducking directly into Donald Cerrone's switch kick at UFC 150 sent a shiver up my spine and made me question the safety of my favourite crouching tactics in the same way that Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho made me question the safety of showering. Fortunately most hotel owners aren't Norman Bates, and most MMA fighters can't switch kick as fast and unpredictably as Donald Cerrone does.

In today's Judo Chop we'll take a look at the high switch kick that Cerrone has made his signature.

The switch kick is a staple technique of Muay Thai and kickboxing which allows the fighter to kick hard with the front leg while only sacrificing some speed. Kicking with the front leg straight from one's stance is fast, but lacks greatly in power - so to use this sort of kick against an opponent's leg, body or guard is relatively ineffective. If it is landed cleanly on the head a knockout may be scored, as under-rated kyokushin karateka, Taie Kin made a career of doing, but few men are that good at picking their foot straight from their stance.

You will notice that Kin only takes a slight step with his right foot, not really winding his hips up to kick at all but simply putting him in range. Even so he only steps far enough to connect the top of his foot with his opponent's chin. Clearly this technique works due to speed and does not provide the power and weight of a switch kick connected with the shin bone.

The switch kick, in which the lead foot is brought back level or (in some cases) behind the rear foot, draws the lead hip back so that a powerful kick may be thrown with what was the lead leg. Few fighters in MMA are especially good at performing this switch kick with speed - especially since many of the top kickers among the kickboxers in MMA have few other skills and often limit themselves to punching for fear of being taken down, such as Cheick Kongo. The lack of skilled switch kickers in MMA only adds to Donald Cerrone's effectiveness with this technique.

Let's review Cerrone's performance of this kick against Melvin Guillard. (G)

It should be noted before we praise Cerrone on his incredible fortitude and kick that Donald Cerrone has an excellent Muay Thai game but that his boxing is so-so. The reason that Guillard was able to drop Cerrone was that Cerrone opened with his running punches while Melvin fought out of his stance. The running punches that Cerrone uses are excellent if his opponent is wary of him - because the opponent will back up and leave their stance, allowing him to kick their legs with impunity. Guillard simply let Cerrone run towards him and when Cerrone threw a wide left hook from too close in Guillard nailed him with a shorter one.

With that disclaimer out of the way let's look at the kick.

Cerrone throws his lead hand out as he switches his feet, forcing Guillard to focus on Cerrone's hands and upper body. Notice how Cerrone's hips in the first still are already quite square and are almost reversed in the second still when he switches. Then in the third still notice how his hips are turned all the way into the kick. Notice how his kick ends up on the other side of Guillard's head once he has connected - showing just how committed his hips are to the kick.

Continues with Cerrone's kicks vs Dennis Siver and some slick gifs at: 

8/13/12 5:29 PM
Bedardmma
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This guy is crazy Phone Post
8/14/12 7:07 AM
Jack Slack
2193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
8/14/12 7:16 AM
absoluteidiot
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good insight! I love watching cowboy fight....except against Nate Diaz. Phone Post
8/14/12 8:03 AM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
8/14/12 12:34 PM
Jack Slack

Quiet day on the UG!
8/14/12 12:50 PM
Periodik

Jack is the man, good stuff
8/14/12 12:53 PM
UGCTT_rkilla
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slacktastic
8/14/12 1:26 PM
MrColdCock
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love your stuff Jack. TTT Phone Post
8/14/12 2:00 PM
Guerrero
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FREE MMA / TMA / Boxing Classifieds, Owner
Love the switch kick.

When I got over the awkwardness of it and finally got it down. I felt like it was actually more powerful than the regular round house kick with the rear leg.

I think it's because you're "exploding" off the kicking foot as opposed to stepping with it --- if that makes sense.

Jack, will you be releasing your Advanced Striking book in Kindle format in the future? **crosses fingers**
8/14/12 2:04 PM
Gatorade
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dfsv 
8/14/12 2:56 PM
Neil McCauley

TTTremendous
8/14/12 3:23 PM
whoabro

Guerrero - Love the switch kick.

When I got over the awkwardness of it and finally got it down. I felt like it was actually more powerful than the regular round house kick with the rear leg.

I think it's because you're "exploding" off the kicking foot as opposed to stepping with it --- if that makes sense.

Jack, will you be releasing your Advanced Striking book in Kindle format in the future? **crosses fingers**

same-- it is definitely my most powerful kick (which isn't saying much haha), but it did take a while to get the hang of it.
8/14/12 4:26 PM
Willin_But_Not_Chaeble
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In one of Cerrone's post fight interviews he said that they knew Melvin liked to exit exchanges to his right. Donald trained to catch Guillard doing just that.

Fascinating stuff.
8/14/12 4:29 PM
Kirik
2429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
 Seriously, I think you generate my favorite content in all of MMA news. If I could send you something cool you want from the UG store, let me know? Kirik@MMA.tv
8/14/12 4:31 PM
UGCTT_the people's cecil
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree with Kirik. Your observations and write ups are amazing. i love reading them. VTFU to you Jack
8/14/12 4:45 PM
Tahiti Bo
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

great analysis
8/14/12 4:46 PM
Brian Rule
525 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik will you also please pay Jack and I a million dollars each to make a book together? He can write and I'll design/take pics. We know you have multiple Lamborghini's and the cash to give away :)

Anyway yeah the switch kick might be my favorite technique to throw, especially to the liver (being that I mainly fight orthodox). It's so fast that you can time it to your opponent's cross (when his ribs are exposed) and even when he's guard I feel like it's fairly easy to shoot upwards on target (above his right hip and inside his right arm/elbow). Especially effective if you switch off to the right to make more of an angle. Plus it's coming from the lead side, making it lower risk, and overall can be thrown with great stability. I find I can even get it up higher upstairs than a rear kick head kick. Love the switch!
8/14/12 8:49 PM
yabadaba
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt 
8/14/12 9:03 PM
Lovetriscuit
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great article as always.

I hope bloodyelbow is paying you well.

The only times I go there are for your write-ups/analysis.
8/14/12 9:08 PM
ndmma02005
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good analysis. Cowboy has a bad boy reputation but when it came down to it, I like how he went for the RNC instead of pounding on Melvin. Pretty classy. Phone Post
8/14/12 9:16 PM
manzuri
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
8/14/12 9:35 PM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
8/14/12 9:41 PM
Delorian
430 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outstanding! 
8/14/12 10:07 PM
Haulport

Kirik -  Seriously, I think you generate my favorite content in all of MMA news.
This.

Jack Slack is my favorite poster on the UG and favorite MMA journalist by FAR...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.