UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Boxing coach: Edgar should go to 135 lbs.

8/14/12 2:39 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"Maybe four years ago, we wanted him to fight at 135, 145," Henry told the SiriusXM Fight Club on Monday, "but there was no [weight] class [at that time] and I think at 155 he was champion, so he wanted to go down on his own terms."

"Me personally," Henry continued, "I'd like to see Frankie for like a year to take a rest on his back and his body to fight people at 135 to do what everybody in the whole MMA community is [doing] and suck him down to nothing, looking like their death the day of the weigh-in and fight people that weigh as much as him."

For now, though, Henry just wants Edgar to receive credit he believes the former Clarion University wrestler doesn't get for competing against significantly larger men. In a sport where weight cutting is rampant, Edgar is fighting and beating most men Henry believes are up to two weight classes larger than him - something no one else in the sport is doing.

"What he's doing now I don't think he gets enough credit for," Henry insisted. "You're talking about guys that weigh 155-160 - what he walks around at - even when he isn't training. Who's doing that? That would be like Ben [Henderson] fighting Anderson Silva. That'd be like Jose Aldo calls out Frankie and he walks around at 170, too. That'd be like him fighting George St. Pierre."

"He walks around and he's 157," Henry continued. "He comes back from Disneyland after his last fight or two fights ago and he's 157, 158 or 159. I don't think Frankie gets enough credit for what he's accomplishing and doing in MMA."

read entire article...

8/14/12 3:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
knuckleballs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the only fight i want to see frankie fight is against jose aldo.
8/14/12 3:09 PM
cool hand Ed
184 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So cutting weight is frowned upon. Got it. Phone Post
8/14/12 3:12 PM
whoabro

i am by no means saying he should drop to 135, but it is true that he would still be smaller than many at 145
8/14/12 3:14 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will be pretty upset if he goes to 135 and avoids fighting Aldo Phone Post
8/14/12 3:17 PM
forrestfan
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He wants Frankie to look like his death on weigh in day? That's great.
8/14/12 3:18 PM
In Limbo
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i agree with henry, except i think a drop to 135 might be a bit much, and the weight class isn't as appealing to the masses

people keep saying frankie does no damage, but that is not only due to his style, but the size differential btw himself and his opponents (who pretty much walk around 20 -30+ lbs. more than frankie does)
8/14/12 3:19 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 08/14/12 3:20 PM
He doesnt get credit because he has to resort to point fighting in order to compensate for the size difference... why do we the fans have to suffer so he can prove something to himself?

We gotta sit through these point fighting contents because of his napolean complex....

He's a great talent...  no rgument there... just get him in the right weight class.  .he should go down to 145 first.  if he cant beat aldo then he should go down to 135.

He's 1 fight away from aldo.... and even if he loses, he's 1 fight away from the BW champ (cruz or barao).

8/14/12 3:21 PM
Soul Gravy

No reason for him to drop. He just beat the LW champion.
8/14/12 3:25 PM
In Limbo
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - He doesnt get credit because he has to resort to point fighting in order to compensate for the size difference... why do we the fans have to suffer so he can prove something to himself?

We gotta sit through these point fighting contents because of his napolean complex....

He's a great talent...  no rgument there... just get him in the right weight class.  .he should go down to 145 first.  if he cant beat aldo then he should go down to 135.

He's 1 fight away from aldo.... and even if he loses, he's 1 fight away from the BW champ (cruz or barao).

i know it's the "norm" but you can look at it another way and say "too many fighters are taking advantage of weight cutting"

you've got guys that walk around 200Lbs fighting at LW

some fighters like frankie, bj, sakuraba, fedor take the approach of fighting at your closest walk around weight

which is funny considering edgar is a wrestler
8/14/12 3:26 PM
Farewell Brock
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC - He doesnt get credit because he has to resort to point fighting in order to compensate for the size difference... why do we the fans have to suffer so he can prove something to himself?

So he should keep droing a weigh class until he can veat a champion? Phone Post
8/14/12 3:42 PM
Muzalini

Giraffix Inc, Owner, Designer
Another point to argue that they should implement something for weight walking into cage so guys aren't able to cut so much Phone Post
8/14/12 3:45 PM
Chiron
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edgar's camp sure likes to exaggerate size differences. They deny he loses even when he does and pretend his strategy isnt focused heavily on pointfighting. I guess when your fighter's pointfighting style has created more controversy in 4 of his last 6 fights than any fighter in their career you gotta try to build him up as much as possible.
8/14/12 3:53 PM
OneTesticledMoneyLaunderer
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once Frankie drops he will lose his speed advantage that he has at lightweight.

His pitter patter will miss a lot more as he goes down in weight as the fighters will be much quicker than at LW
8/14/12 4:08 PM
smiter

OneTesticledMoneyLaunderer - Once Frankie drops he will lose his speed advantage that he has at lightweight.

His pitter patter will miss a lot more as he goes down in weight as the fighters will be much quicker than at LW
Tell Gray Maynard about that pitter patter you speak of. Phone Post
8/14/12 4:09 PM
triso
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're naive if you don't think he has a point. He may exaggerate the size a bit, but he's not too far off.
8/14/12 4:09 PM
UGCTT_SidRival
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frankie Edgar vs Dominick Cruz in the ultimate point boxing showdown! Phone Post
8/14/12 4:16 PM
MMALOGIC

OneTesticledMoneyLaunderer - Once Frankie drops he will lose his speed advantage that he has at lightweight.

you had jobbers at 155 who dropped down like Gamburyan, Brown, garcia who then became contenders and even champs (brown).

Siver and Oliviera are now running shop at 145 after getting their asses kicked at 155.

What do you think Frankie Edgar would do at 145?  he'd kick the crap out of everyone not named aldo...  Aldo has been beating 155llb rejects while Frankie has been beating the best at 155.

Edgar is aldo's biggest threat.
8/14/12 6:07 PM
YVES JOCKSTRAP
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frankie deserves a lot of credit, brave guy. Phone Post
8/14/12 6:33 PM
ChaosOverkill
734 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stea1th -  Hos boxing coach is the last person he should be taking advice from. The man teaches how to throw significant punches with out resulting in damage. Phone Post

That has some to do with the fact he's fighting guys bigger than him.

He's not the hardest puncher but if he was at a lower weight he would cause more damage.
8/14/12 6:34 PM
ChaosOverkill
734 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He also did plenty of damage to Gray Maynard in their last fight
8/14/12 6:36 PM
REALLYBIGRHINO

I still don't believe Frankie does not cut weight for his fights. He has to cut at least 5 pounds, probably more like 10 but for MMA that is pretty much like not cutting anything, haha.
8/14/12 6:54 PM
Oblivious
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do not want to see frankie drop.

I scored the fight for frankie, but the judges saw differently and that is the end of the matter.

The division is wide open Who knows who will be the champ next year?

Yes, he is small for this weight class but he competes with the best at lightweight and has held and defended the belt at lw. Why should he drop?

if he was getting manhandled I would understand him dropping, but he's not.

8/15/12 6:03 AM
ColdKiller X
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool hand Ed -  So cutting weight is frowned upon. Got it. Phone Post

hasn't it always been? not much honor in it

8/15/12 7:09 AM
Bobby Lupo
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frankie is still #1 in my LW rankings. 2 blind or corrupt judges will not change my opinion. Edgar would dominate 135 or 145. Those are divisions for guys that can't hack it at LW, which Frankie can clearly do, and Jose Aldo who can hack anything.

Edgar-Aldo should happen right away.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.