UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Need hi res scan of two Pride posters

8/16/12 1:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
disbeliever
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Kirik - 
disbeliever - I would imagine it is that if people get high res versions and can make their own print outs, the collectors won't be able to charge 400$ a poster then

Only thing is, I am not talking about a public offering of the scan, I am explicity talking about sending it to a licensee.

Oh I know. I know you are doing nothing wrong. I was only giving ideas why collectors would be watching this thread.
8/16/12 1:30 PM
grkblood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Joe Show Radio, Owner
PT is hitting the nail on the head here. Almost no collector I would imagine would be willing to do this because it opens the doors for counterfeiting and that is already a big enough problem in itself. Even if there wasn't any potential for counterfeiting (which there always inherently is) no collector that has these is going to want to be the guy that scanned them and gave them to someone to do with as they wish. That is a HUGE no no for many reasons. If this company wants these things then they need to do the legwork themselves. Why would someone that has invested years and thousands of dollars into their collection get involved in something like this?

And to bisbeliever, basically everyone that has these posters has them to keep them. Saying something ignorant like the reason collectors don't want high-res images to be available is so that they can still be able to sell them for hundreds of dollars is foolish. As I mentioned, most people don't look to sell these, they look to buy and keep.
8/16/12 1:43 PM
Kirik
1663 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter
This is a learning experience for me. Thanks for all the feedback.

Does anyone sell reproductions, without trying to fool people, just saying they are copies?
8/16/12 1:46 PM
ThinkMMA
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always wanted these posters. Man I miss the old Pride posters. So many of them were unique. Unique for the time and the events.

TTT for the "Golden Age". Phone Post
8/16/12 2:04 PM
PTSandman

Kirik - This is a learning experience for me. Thanks for all the feedback.

Does anyone sell reproductions, without trying to fool people, just saying they are copies?

There is a guy on facebook who gets fake PRIDE gloves made in Pakistan in bulk, then sells them on collector forums, ebay, etc as "replicas".

People seem to not care about it though. They try to justify the bootlegging, because they do not wish to pay $600+ for a pair of authentic gloves to get signed.
8/16/12 2:04 PM
disbeliever
328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

grkblood - PT is hitting the nail on the head here. Almost no collector I would imagine would be willing to do this because it opens the doors for counterfeiting and that is already a big enough problem in itself. Even if there wasn't any potential for counterfeiting (which there always inherently is) no collector that has these is going to want to be the guy that scanned them and gave them to someone to do with as they wish. That is a HUGE no no for many reasons. If this company wants these things then they need to do the legwork themselves. Why would someone that has invested years and thousands of dollars into their collection get involved in something like this?

And to bisbeliever, basically everyone that has these posters has them to keep them. Saying something ignorant like the reason collectors don't want high-res images to be available is so that they can still be able to sell them for hundreds of dollars is foolish. As I mentioned, most people don't look to sell these, they look to buy and keep.

I'm curious how it's "ignorant" and "foolish" of me to suggest that (and it was a suggestion not stated as a hard fact), when collectors on this very thread are mentioning how much these posters are worth.
8/16/12 2:06 PM
tokoros haircut
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This has to be VXRSI/No Mas/Roots of Fight related.
8/16/12 2:13 PM
disbeliever

And for the record I am not arguing, I am legit curious
8/16/12 2:17 PM
Tad Ghostal
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surely if they can afford the licence they can afford the original posters?
8/16/12 2:21 PM
mmagirl104
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrong. All it will do is allow shady people to make copies and sell them as originals to unsuspecting collectors for $400. As someone who has been burned by a fake poster in the past, it's no fun.

Why would someone with rights to these images need to obtain the scans from someone with the poster? Why would they not be able to obtain the images directly from Zuffa if they are in fact allowed to use the images?
8/16/12 2:21 PM
grkblood

Joe Show Radio, Owner
@disbeliever

Because it's implying that collectors don't purchase to actually collect, they just do it to make money off of other people. To most people it's a hobby, not a job.
8/16/12 2:24 PM
mmagirl104
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ for some reason the "quote" didn't come thru, this was in response to disbeliever's post:

"I would imagine it is that if people get high res versions and can make their own print outs, the collectors won't be able to charge 400$ a poster then"
8/16/12 2:30 PM
orcus

grkblood - PT is hitting the nail on the head here. Almost no collector I would imagine would be willing to do this because it opens the doors for counterfeiting and that is already a big enough problem in itself. Even if there wasn't any potential for counterfeiting (which there always inherently is) no collector that has these is going to want to be the guy that scanned them and gave them to someone to do with as they wish. That is a HUGE no no for many reasons. If this company wants these things then they need to do the legwork themselves. Why would someone that has invested years and thousands of dollars into their collection get involved in something like this?

If they're looking to buy and keep I don't see why they would care if the image is used on a shirt or something.
8/16/12 2:34 PM
Leghound
216 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
Break Left - Sorry Kirik, but I seriously hope no one that has those posters would be stupid enough to create high res images of them. There are already enough decent Pride posters floating around with fakes. These two are among the holy grails and would cause a huge problem if they were faked as well.

The company looking for the scan has secured necessary licensing from ZUFFA. Can go straight to them without anyone having the scan, including me.

If you can go straight to Zuffa for the scan why wouldn't you??
8/16/12 2:38 PM
flyingtoehold
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I better sell my stuff before the fakes flood the market! Sounds like they're coming. Phone Post
8/16/12 2:46 PM
disbeliever

grkblood - @disbeliever

Because it's implying that collectors don't purchase to actually collect, they just do it to make money off of other people. To most people it's a hobby, not a job.

So why do collectors care what's used on clothing or reproduced if they have an original?

And why do collectors like to talk about how much things are worth if they have no interest in selling ever? Is it a " I have something valuable" thing?
8/16/12 3:02 PM
PTSandman

If it's for clothing, they wouldn't need a full sized scan.
8/16/12 5:07 PM
the chip guy

Hey Kirik, I have these posters and i'm willing to help but I don't have the scanner required to get the job done... I assume that I if I walked into some place that could do the scans for me I would need some type of documentation in order to get copyrighted posters scanned? If you can get me that documentation i'd be more then willing to help out.

@disbeliever, you should really make a thread in the memorabilia ground to ask all of your questions, this thread is getting really off topic
8/16/12 5:25 PM
theken206
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lloyd gave me my bluename 9/11 Clown Top Team -  Whoever runs vxrsi is madly in love with saku I would guarantee it is vxrsi related.

Nothing wrong with that, I love Saku as well. I'd buy a shirt with the pride 10 image with the quickness.

Don't listen to grk he just started collecting posters last week.

Although the ownership/direction of VXRSI is going in a bit of a different way these days...... I would not be suprised if it was some how VXRSI related or maybe something VXRSI founder/creator Dan Dejos is working on for his new project "Artlete"
8/16/12 9:33 PM
fightpimp

I can't "Quote" posts either so I will address Kirik directly.

Kirik, I remember the time about 6 or 7 years ago that I sat down with you in-person, backstage at a local show where you were taping up the guys. This is before I was managing Woody Weatherby. I explained to your in an earlier conversation about the person in Canada (that no longer posts here) that was selling reproductions of UFC and Pride posters. You agreed that this was a concern. After explaining the situation you told me to do what I had to do to expose this person and that you "had my back" in case there was fallout.

The resulting shitstorm lasted for many years and still to this day it makes surprise visits.

The person/people/company that were are talking about here contacted me directly about 3-4 months ago asking for SAKU choking the ring girl (pride 10) and SAKU with the machinegun (pride 13) high-res image files. I politely explained that I would not get involved in the situation.

Fast forward to now... obviously there are going to be used for t-shirts... how do I know??? Because he changed his mind from Pride 13 to the GP 04 butterfly poster. BOTH of those images would easily work (and cost-effectively) on shirts because they both have solid backround colors and the image reproduced would work perfectly on a white (pride 10) or a black (pride GP 04) shirt.

I am not going to get into the arguements of this being right or wrong but I will say that any self-respecting MMA Collector would not take part in this. Many of us have searched for YEARS to get our hands on one of these posters.

Not going to debate this... maybe I will get together with some of the other collectors out there, file for liscensing and WE can all mass-produce some of the posters, to our standards and make some money collectively. posters are a "different class of goods and services" as clothing and apparrel.

Hahaha just kidding but it could be done.

I am on the road so I wion't be seeing the UG for a few.... or replying so dont take it personal.
8/16/12 9:35 PM
Gatorade
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
1/16/13 1:22 PM
NorthernIrishZombie
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread came to mind again today when I saw this No Mas shirt:

So, what happened?

1/24/13 6:26 PM
Size

They either got a poster, or got someone to send a scan.
1/24/13 6:33 PM
greenseed
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh snap
1/24/13 6:49 PM
Sergio88
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.