UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> personal finances

8/16/12 11:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ato316
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm looking for some recommendations for books on personal finances from a christian point of view,(budgeting, eliminating debt, retirement, etc). i've heard crown ministries has good material available. have any of you read something you would recommend?
8/16/12 4:47 PM
Iamtheonepercent
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave Ramsey. Phone Post
8/16/12 5:37 PM
paw
1169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Iamtheonepercent -  Dave Ramsey. Phone Post

Seconded.  Very basic approach, but it works.
8/16/12 6:20 PM
zealot66
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never listened to dave ramsey. My wife and I got debt free over 3 years by using common sense and honest to yourself budgeting. listened to clark howard and suzie orman but it isn't rocket science until you start getting into finance as in stocks, money markets, retirement but the person need not be religious to be good, imo. besides, Ramsey is just a financial guy who throws Jesus and tithing in and has a built in market as THE christian money guy, imo.
8/17/12 2:21 PM
Ridgeback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personal Finance for Dummies by a guy name Tyson (I think I remember that right) is a good book for the subject.  It covers all the stuff you need to know from insurance to investing.  
8/17/12 2:58 PM
RoidsGracie

If you like the Personal Finance for Dummies book; also check out the stuff by John C. Bogle. He was a big inspiration for Tyson.
8/18/12 4:24 PM
Ridgeback

I should have added that the Christian approach to personal finance is the same as the non-Christian approach with the exception of what you do with your money.  You are called to give alms as a Christian, but the mechanics of personal finance are the same for everyone, just as cooking for a soup kitchen is the same as cooking for a country club.
9/12/12 10:09 PM
TheTFC
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave Ramsey declared bankruptcy. Phone Post
9/13/12 7:35 PM
zealot66
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when did that happen?
9/13/12 7:46 PM
TheTFC
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1986 or 87. Phone Post
9/14/12 11:46 AM
ridge hand

And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on. (Luke 12:22)

But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Luke 12:31)

Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. (Matthew 19:21)
9/18/12 9:25 PM
justin@gosscpa.com

Justin Goss, CPA, MSA
Larry Burkett has many Bible based financial books. He also has a book which is almost exclusively Bible quotes about money... It is not a small book... Money is the second most talked about subject in the Bible... Second only to love.
9/20/12 10:38 AM
ato316
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

justin@gosscpa.com - Larry Burkett has many Bible based financial books. He also has a book which is almost exclusively Bible quotes about money... It is not a small book... Money is the second most talked about subject in the Bible... Second only to love.

he's got a book called "debt-free living" that i saw at the church bookstore a few weeks ago. thanks for the recommendation
9/21/12 2:56 AM
SKARHEAD
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheTFC -  1986 or 87. Phone Post

That was a long time ago. What about since then ?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.