UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ariel: Jon Jones' deal worth 20k/year

8/20/12 1:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Alpha World Peace
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/20/12 1:20 AM
LilBrockonmychest -  Enormous worldwide basketball stars get paid $7- $10M a year from Nike, but keep focusing on Griffins first ever signed contract that is nearly up.  To think the face of the UFC, most dominant LHW champ ever, and sole sponsored global MMA fighter would get a contract worth 6-10% of the "enourmous stars" seems very plausible. 

You guy are going to look like complete dipshits when it's released that he makes more than $20,000 a year.  It's shocking that you think it is anywhere close to that.  Ya, a main event UFC champ is now getting $6,500 per fight, $45,000 less than Joe Lauzon was getting years ago for the undercard Florian fight.
"but keep focusing on Griffin's first ever signed contract with Nike" - Lilbrockonmychest

Is this Jon Jones' second signed contract with Nike? Am I missing something?

Was Blake Griffin not the biggest star to come out of college basketball to the NBA that year and a human highlight reel that every mainstream sports talk show host was raving about? Phone Post    
8/20/12 1:04 AM
Jons Forsberg

Edited: 08/20/12 1:05 AM
Alpha World Peace - 
Chris27 - Mike Straka ?@MikeStraka

Anyone who thinks Nike is paying 20k per yr to Jones is sorely mistaken. Ari doesn't get out of bed for less than a million a day.

Thanks for posting, Chris27.

LOL @ Straka's misinformed take on things -- Ari Emmanuel simply made a phone call as a FAVOR TO HIS CLIENT, THE UFC, to set up a meeting between Nike and Bones Jones. This has been stated by multiple people involved with the process including Dana and Malki.

Ari isn't Bones' agent, nor is he brokering a deal with Nike. He cajoled Nike into sitting down with Malki and Jon Jones by themselves and then washed his hands of the whole thing. 

C'mon, Straka. I'd expect a better grasp of the situation from you.  

obviously this. The UFC sponsors Jones, a deal with Nike is interesting for them as it gives the the UFC brand more exposure. They likely pay Jones more money under the table to maintain the $20k year deal with Nike, which is a great long term prospect.
8/20/12 1:24 AM
Phisher

Edited: 08/20/12 1:24 AM
jj

8/20/12 1:29 AM
Alpha World Peace

Phisher - jj

jjjjj Phone Post
8/20/12 1:39 AM
obi1

FRB gets it right more than he gets it wrong.. I would trust his stuff all day over ariels
8/20/12 1:41 AM
orcus

Nike would not bother to do business with an athlete they thought was only worth $20k. They certainly would not give him a signature line, that's just absurd.

They might give $20k to a talented junior high player who might one day be a star. Not to a guy whose last PPV sold 700k at $60 a pop, who has been on the Tonight Show.
8/20/12 2:05 PM
smac 2.0

Alpha World Peace - 
LilBrockonmychest -  Enormous worldwide basketball stars get paid $7- $10M a year from Nike, but keep focusing on Griffins first ever signed contract that is nearly up.  To think the face of the UFC, most dominant LHW champ ever, and sole sponsored global MMA fighter would get a contract worth 6-10% of the "enourmous stars" seems very plausible. 

You guy are going to look like complete dipshits when it's released that he makes more than $20,000 a year.  It's shocking that you think it is anywhere close to that.  Ya, a main event UFC champ is now getting $6,500 per fight, $45,000 less than Joe Lauzon was getting years ago for the undercard Florian fight.
"but keep focusing on Griffin's first ever signed contract with Nike" - Lilbrockonmychest

Is this Jon Jones' second signed contract with Nike? Am I missing something?

Was Blake Griffin not the biggest star to come out of college basketball to the NBA that year and a human highlight reel that every mainstream sports talk show host was raving about? Phone Post    

Blake Griffin is just another guy in the NBA wearing Nike's. Nike already has plenty of brand ambassadors in hoops.

MMA - not so much.
8/20/12 2:23 PM
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LilBrockonmychest - 
obi1 - FRB gets it right more than he gets it wrong.. I would trust his stuff all day over ariels

This

No, not this.
8/20/12 2:31 PM
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LilBrockonmychest - 
CagePotato - 
LilBrockonmychest - 
obi1 - FRB gets it right more than he gets it wrong.. I would trust his stuff all day over ariels

This

No, not this.

Do you think the UFC LHW champ and face of the UFC is making only $6,500 per fight from sponsors or do you think it's closer to the $750K- $1M+ range annually? 

Well I would guess that it's closer to that second range, but like most people on this thread, I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about.

My post was just questioning the idea that FRB is generally more trustworthy than Ariel. Come on, that's absurd.
8/20/12 2:48 PM
chokeyou

i bet that + product..

and suage bonuses.

Sounds about right.
8/20/12 2:49 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

13 pages later and the $20K is just as ridiculous as it was on the 1st imo...
8/20/12 3:02 PM
orcus

If it were $20k I would expect the anti-Zuffa brigade to be up in arms. They are always so outraged at prelim fighters getting $5k or whatever from this billion dollar company, even though no one is tuning in for them, how can they not be apopleptic about a megabillion dollar company giving the #1 guy in the supposed money division, a guy who sells 700k ppvs, $20k for using his name on a worldwide, Jon Jones line of clothing?
8/20/12 3:22 PM
jjj2121

CagePotato - 
LilBrockonmychest - 
CagePotato - 
LilBrockonmychest - 

This

No, not this.

Do you think the UFC LHW champ and face of the UFC is making only $6,500 per fight from sponsors or do you think it's closer to the $750K- $1M+ range annually? 

Well I would guess that it's closer to that second range, but like most people on this thread, I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about.

My post was just questioning the idea that FRB is generally more trustworthy than Ariel. Come on, that's absurd.

If Dana isn't feeding Ariel the information, what is Ariel's track record?
8/20/12 3:24 PM
JimmersonzGlove
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I reached out to my friend at Nike in Beaverton and he asked around. The number he got was $25k give or take for whatever it's worth. I never troll and am confident in the source. He's been my friend since elementary school.
8/20/12 3:26 PM
Chris27

Ariel just said on the mma hour he personally talked to Jon and his manager and both said the number he reported ISNT TRUE. They wouldnt give him the exact number but said he is wrong and Ariel apologized on air a few minutes ago.

He said he trusted the one source he had and that he stakes his reputation on reporting correct stories but according to Jones and his manager he reported a wrong number so he apologized.

8/20/12 3:33 PM
orcus

JimmersonzGlove -  I reached out to my friend at Nike in Beaverton and he asked around. The number he got was $25k give or take for whatever it's worth. I never troll and am confident in the source. He's been my friend since elementary school.

I trust you, but am not confident that your friend would necessarily be able to get the real number.
8/20/12 3:38 PM
JimmersonzGlove
574 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its just interesting that it came back in the same range and he has no interest in MMA. He's in charge of designing stores so he's not on that side of the company at all. He reached out to his friend who was....she came back with a 30k number but then dropped it to 25. Like I said....for whatever its worth.

Did Ariel adjust his numbers or just say his original statement wasn't true? My guess is they're just sweeping this under the rug...and also that it's a very bonus based contract where the 25k is the base.
8/20/12 3:46 PM
kinkle

Lol at your dumbass calling anybody retarded while you sit there and make shit up, you said earlier that Jones probably signed for 2 mil, that would be DOUBLE what Peyton Manning or Derek Jeter make from Nike. You also said boxers fight barefooted.... There is one gigantic retard in this thread I will let people guess who it is.... Phone Post
8/20/12 3:48 PM
kinkle

Ariel definitely got the number wrong, my sources tell me the real number is $20,000.99 Phone Post
8/20/12 3:57 PM
Chris27

Jones aint making millions on this deal thats for sure but he is making more than 20k.

even if Jon and his team felt they are making big money in the UFC now with PPV buys etc, considering all his PPV main events have done over 400k buys, doing 400k to 700k buys for his Shogun, Page, Machida and Rashad fights I think its same to say he is making 7 figures per fight from the UFC.

So he could be willing to take a lesser deal early on with Nike just to have that Nike brand backing him which could raise his profile more and then possibly get a better deal with Nike if he continues to do well and his gear sells.

So i can see him taking a lesser deal just to get with Nike but the 20k a year is bullshit. Thats under 7k a fight if he fights 3 times a year.

I'd love to see what Carwin or Creepy has gotten per fight from sponsors to see where this number would stack up.

Somehow I think a star and champion is gonna command more than 7k a fight in sponsors.
8/20/12 5:27 PM
Alpha World Peace

LilBrockonmychest -
JimmersonzGlove -  Its just interesting that it came back in the same range and he has no interest in MMA. He's in charge of designing stores so he's not on that side of the company at all. He reached out to his friend who was....she came back with a 30k number but then dropped it to 25. Like I said....for whatever its worth.

Did Ariel adjust his numbers or just say his original statement wasn't true? My guess is they're just sweeping this under the rug...and also that it's a very bonus based contract where the 25k is the base.

I could see the $20K - $30K to be a very realistic signing bonus number and then he gets bonuses for winning or a percentage of his Signature Line sales.   This way it's a minimal risk for Nike as they are not investing all that much up front and can see how sales do.  My issue is with the 3-4 retards that think $20K with zero incentives is a realistic number for a global Nike deal.
Dude, you are full of crap.

I've been saying ALL thread long that I believed Jones was getting 20k upfront and a percentage of sales. Go back and look. To your credit, I remember you doing the same at the beginning before you became enamored with the claim that he is making somewhere between Derek Jeter to LeBron James money.

My counter-argument was to all of these people who came in and talked about the millions Nike must be throwing at him because it's a GLOBAL deal and talked about how Ariel was a fool for even reporting such a number. Phone Post
8/20/12 6:23 PM
kinkle

I'll admit I was wrong about Jeter, in my defense the Forbes article DID say that guys like Jeter/Manning only make a mil. I am man enough to admit I am wrong, you still won't admit you are a fucktard for trying to convince people Pacquiao fights barefooted. Phone Post
8/20/12 6:57 PM
rockfists

I think the bigger picture is being missed.... $20,000 IS BAD NEWS FOR NIKE. They want who they sponsor to be bigger than life. They want superstars. Them supposedly paying just 20k defeats the whole purpose of their bigger than life logo/guys dream of being sponsored by nike.

How can Jones be bigger than life when Dales Parking Garage can sponsor Jones for more than they have.

Nike paid Jones properly, that is for sure. Phone Post
8/20/12 11:25 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
Don't hold your breath, the majority of these type deals don't get divulged, only ballparks, and it seems $20K is not in said ballpark... Phone Post
8/21/12 12:58 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/21/12 12:58 AM
 Anyone who believed for a second that they deal was for 20K is a dumb cocksucking faggot.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.