UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ariel: Jon Jones' deal worth 20k/year

8/17/12 5:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Enemies
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think most fighters who have actually gotten sponsorships for being on a main card (or even undercard) would agree that $20,000 for an entire year is faaaaaaaaar too low. Nevermind a main event fighter who holds a belt.
8/17/12 5:39 AM
dwhy83

Someone get Chael to figure this out on twitter, stat. Phone Post
8/17/12 5:47 AM
Phisher

Dong Johnson -  U guys know Jones isn't the first ufc fighter to be sponsored by Nike right?

Yushin Okami  was the first i believe.  Then Akiyama got it too.

You guys think Nike paid them millions too?

Okami? What the fuck are you talking about?

Akiyami and Silva have regional deals with Nike. Jones is the first MMA fighter with a global sponsorship deal. There's no way in hell that he's getting paid a fraction of what Silva and Akiyama are.
8/17/12 6:01 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle

I think the 'source' is trolling Ariel lol!! Phone Post
8/17/12 6:25 AM
Humphrey

Edited: 08/17/12 6:25 AM
FinestScotch - 
Humphrey - it's hilarious that people are actually trying to compare jon jones with lebron james, manny pacquiao and people like that when considering how much nike might pay.

you guys are some delusional fans

If by this you mean he actually IS making 20k from Nike

When he has already made MILLIONS from PPV shares being LHW champion

I really don't know how to go off on you without getting at least frozen.

i didn't say anything about how much Nike is paying. my point was that only an idiot would try to compare the marketing value of Jon Jones with lebron james, manny pacquiao and people that are actually HUGE celebrities

it's comical. You must be one of the idiots.. reading comprehension is difficult for you? 
8/17/12 6:32 AM
JimmersonzGlove
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
8/17/12 6:36 AM
Maldini2706
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone is trying to make a dick of Helwani. I'm surprised he fell for it. Phone Post
8/17/12 6:45 AM
wreckker
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ariel stupid for reporting that Phone Post
8/17/12 7:01 AM
Ryan Black
339 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Day by day, this young man continues to find a way to become douchier by the minute somehow.

Ariel is without a doubt BECOMING "that guy."

"That guy with the nose and the weird name, who's always slingin' shit about the UFC. Yeah, 'that' guy... I saw him on TV the other day sayin' Jon Jones was only gettin $20K a year from Nike! FUCKIN' NIKE! I know! And then before that he insulted this one fighter, but it wasn't direct- it was like, 'wait... Did he just insult that guy by posing that question?' It was weird, like somebody tryin to be sarcastic but REALLY fuckin' it up. Anyway, then afterward he was talkin' shit about some other guy. I was like 'Damn, this guy's just fulla shit. WTF.' I was talking to my buddy who trains, and heard he finds ways to stir up shit and a lot of the fighters don't like him. What a dick!" - Sincerely, The Casual Fan

I don't think he truly grasps & understands the things this type of "journalism" is doing to hurt his reputation, and lose credibility with the media outlets he's reporting to. "I do want to say that this IS a real source, we didn't just... you know, pick somebody up out of the blue. I cannot substantiate these claims, I cannot prove this to be true. I can't name my source, but it IS a REAL SOURCE! I promise! And that's what I heard. I cannot verify this. I cannot tell you with absolute certainty that I heard my source correctly. But I am trying to be able to 'confirm' what I just stated as part of the 'scoop.' Have a nice day." Yeah. No.

...I'm gonna go ahead and wait to hear from Nike or the Jones camp to hear what the actual language of the contract deal is, and, truth is- the only reason why I even care, is because I can't believe what this kid said it was. And based on that I wanna know more. So, I guess really... Ariel's doing a good job... because he left me wanting to tune in... for answers? But... what the...

...Mind = blown. Phone Post
8/17/12 7:21 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It probably will be 20 K a week. I still think that is kind of low for a worldwide sponsorship deal with a company like Nike. MMA might not be the biggest sport but if the deal is multiyear Nike is getting a bargain. It is all good and well that MMA and Jones is getting more exposure (mainstream) by being affiliated with Nike but a million a year is still peanuts compared to the money Nike is going to make off the exposure and the clothing line.

And yes it was a fucking stupid thing to say by Ariel. I personally like Ariel a lot but his level of reporting has being a little lacking in the last couple of months.
8/17/12 7:28 AM
Ricky Spanish

Guess that's what happens when you wreck your car over a dui with a couple of white bitches who aren't your baby mama Phone Post
8/17/12 7:52 AM
OmegaPoon
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He prob gets a cut of the sales from his upcoming line Phone Post
8/17/12 7:54 AM
T Bag

I'm embarasssed for Ariel that he actually reported this amount.
LOL@ Nike doling out a $20k/year sponsorship deal
8/17/12 7:58 AM
Brigham
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol @ people on here saying its bullshit. Just a question, how many times has Ariel been wrong when reporting something? Phone Post
8/17/12 7:59 AM
RICKYB
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DEZBOT - Feel sorry for anyone who actually believes this shit Phone Post
. Phone Post
8/17/12 8:01 AM
Woodford Mike
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I read this, my first blush response was that Helwani was throwing it out there to stir trouble or to get Jones to disclose the actual amount. No one in their right mind with even a very rudimentary sense of business would believe that number. Phone Post
8/17/12 8:25 AM
jjj2121

Edited: 08/17/12 8:29 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
Phisher - 
Alpha World Peace - 
smac 2.0 - lol @ anyone who believes that.
You would laugh at Ariel? Phone Post

I would. He admits that he has only one source for the figure who doesn't represent Jones' management, Nike or Zuffa and that it's totally unsubstantiated. It's ridiculous that he went on his show and said it. That's some pathetic "journalism."

I used to think that the Helwani hate was over the top, but between the incessant instigation and shit like this, it's totally understandable.

If he admitted that it was that one source and wasnt substantiated what makes it bad journalism? I know hating on Ariel is the cool thing to do right now but come on

Throwing around unsubstantiated numbers like that (and ridiculous ones that only a complete moron would believe at that...) even while labelling it as a rumor is poor journalism.

Ari Emanuel and WME supposedly helped broker this deal...you think that guy (if you don't know who he is, look him up) and that company is getting involved in 20k business deals?  That guy keeps 20k in his cigarette ashtray.

I swear if Ariel told you guys that computer keyboards tasted like lollipops half of you would be licking your posts rather than typing them.

8/17/12 8:32 AM
GMan99
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ariel looks like a boob for even repeating that ridiculous number.
8/17/12 8:34 AM
WelshWarrior
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reckoner - lol no fucking way that's true. If it is then malki kawa is the shittiest agent ever. Worse than Pavia. Phone Post
Lol, ask mitrione how good he is Phone Post
8/17/12 8:37 AM
jjj2121

Edited: 08/17/12 8:37 AM
WelshWarrior - 
Reckoner - lol no fucking way that's true. If it is then malki kawa is the shittiest agent ever. Worse than Pavia. Phone Post

Look at Malki Kawa's client list, he's clearly not an idiot.  Guy has the 155 champ, the 170 interim champ, the 205 champ, and the former HW champ.

8/17/12 8:46 AM
JOESONDO
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I may not work for Nike but I do work for a major corporation in advertising. I know first hand what several sponsored athletes cost and I can tell you 20k annually is low even for a regional contract.

I'm not saying its not possible but I can't see Nike even proposing it given the normal scale. The only way I can see this happening is if JBJ's people are complete morons and actually went to Nike with a proposal for this dollar amount. Phone Post
8/17/12 8:47 AM
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj's dropping knowledge in this thread. Some of you noobs should take notes.
8/17/12 8:50 AM
Alpha World Peace

jjj2121 -
WelshWarrior - 

Look at Malki Kawa's client list, he's clearly not an idiot.  Guy has the 155 champ, the 170 interim champ, the 205 champ, and the former HW champ.

He's nothing but a fast talker, as confirmed by many other agents on thus very forum. He lied about representing Barry Sanders and lied about college. He took classes at a community college and doesn't have a bachelor's degree.

I wouldn't be surprised if the deal negotiated was 20k upfront. Bones gets a cut of the merchandise and gets his own clothing line made. Nike would be stupid to pay more when JBJ CAME TO THEM through the UFC saying that this was his dream. They did not approach Jones. Think about that. Phone Post
8/17/12 8:50 AM
kevsh
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ariel is being trolled clearly. This was a deal that took something like 6 months to put together. He will have his own signature line. As has been pointed out, the cost of the lawyers to put this together would be well over 20k alone.

There is no way the number is even close to 20k. Maybe he got the figure wrong somehow - 2 million I can see, perhaps half that, but anything less than high 6 figures I'd have trouble believing.
8/17/12 8:51 AM
jpm995
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either this is a joke or Ariel is extremely naieve for believeing Jones would only get 20k from Nike. He would make less then the children making the shoes.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.