UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ariel: Jon Jones' deal worth 20k/year

8/17/12 4:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
chaplinshouse
650 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Goal setting is the kryptonite to complacency.... Yep thats an original

haha he thought that was so clever.  can't help but notice he hasn't said a peep about the 20k thing

8/17/12 4:31 PM
GMan99
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't believe anyone is even arguing this. If Nike signed the guy to a long-term sponsorship deal you can be certain there were two commas in the number.
8/17/12 4:34 PM
Cyril Jeff
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
chaplinshouse -  

Goal setting is the kryptonite to complacency.... Yep thats an original

haha he thought that was so clever.  can't help but notice he hasn't said a peep about the 20k thing

honestly, he shouldn't even bother, anyone that knows much about sponsorships knows AMMOTOGO  has paid fighters more than that annually...
8/17/12 4:48 PM
Dmoney35
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it is faaaaar more than this. IT IS A WORLD WIDE SPONSORSHIP! lord people Phone Post
8/17/12 4:48 PM
Dmoney35

GMan99 - I can't believe anyone is even arguing this. If Nike signed the guy to a long-term sponsorship deal you can be certain there were two commas in the number.
yes this Phone Post
8/17/12 5:44 PM
HenryO

Letibleu - You know who else uses this reporting method? Tabloids like the National Enquirer. They say an unconfirmed information, let someone else pick it up, then they quote from the source that picked up their original bullshit. Ariel has been douchy as of late.

All reporters use sources
8/17/12 11:37 PM
Alpha World Peace

Malki is usually foaming at the mouth to be able to respond to things like this.

The fact that he is actually keeping his mouth shit for once makes me think there may be some validity to these claims... Phone Post
8/17/12 11:56 PM
greg155

haha this isnt true, ariel just wants attention like usual
8/17/12 11:58 PM
Chris27

I dont believe that. I dont think he is getting crazy millions but 20k a year, thats like 7k a fight if he fights 3 times a year, that sounds like bullshit to me.
8/18/12 1:43 AM
Doem

Edited: 08/18/12 1:43 AM
lol it would cost Nike 20k a year just to administrate this sponsorship.
8/18/12 9:39 AM
Alpha World Peace

TTT for Malki Phone Post
8/18/12 9:52 AM
Mdson
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guessing Malki sent some of his guys to troll Ariel to make him look bad!??!?! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
8/18/12 9:58 AM
JOESONDO
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Malki is trolling Ariel than this is BRILLIANT! Phone Post
8/18/12 10:02 AM
clown makeup

Ordinarily the sponsor is the first to make the announcement loud and clear with great pride that they are indeed sponsoring someone, alas, there is no mention of jon jones, ufc or mma on Nike's corporate website under press releases, news, other:

http://nikeinc.com/search/news?search_terms=jon+jones

http://nikeinc.com/search?search_terms=mma

http://nikeinc.com/search?search_terms=ufc

8/18/12 10:51 AM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clown makeup - 

Ordinarily the sponsor is the first to make the announcement loud and clear with great pride that they are indeed sponsoring someone, alas, there is no mention of jon jones, ufc or mma on Nike's corporate website under press releases, news, other:

Yeah Bones deal is probably legit and if it is, it's worth a hell of a lot more than 20 grand, but I wondered about it too...seems like the only confirmation has come from Jon himself (and maybe Dana). Maybe they just issue press releases for clothing line/product launches or when the athlete actually does something notable.

And wouldn't Nike have to pay the 100 grand fee to the UFC if they wanted their logo prominently displayed by a fighter in the octagon?

On the other hand...I've gotten free boxes of drumsticks from Vic Firth before so I was "sponsored" but it's not like they put me in ads or anything beyond that.
8/18/12 11:01 AM
Lobo8

LOL, cant believe anybody thinks this is real. Its a global deal with a NIKE. They would never pay him so low for such a deal, no matter who he is.
8/18/12 11:09 AM
Arecsa
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malki got fired on live TV by Meathead for being a shitty agent, wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't get much from Nike.
8/18/12 11:19 AM
Alpha World Peace

clown makeup -

This.

This is why I'm not surprised Jones is only getting 20k signing bonus plus a % of sales. Phone Post
8/18/12 11:20 AM
Alpha World Peace

I've never seen a big sponsorship/endorsement where the company didn't put out a press release or even a blurb on their website about it. Nike has always made a huge deal about their sponsorships in the past.

This must be an important deal to them. Phone Post
8/18/12 11:56 AM
SeanyBooy

Obviously the deal is for more than 20,000, but investing heavily in a UFC champ can be very risky. Boxers can recover quickly from losses and get another fight with a top five opponent within months. UFC guys can be easily shafted and given top 15 opponents as a co main event or lower after a decisive loss. That will probably not happen to Jones, but MMA careers, especially ones in the UFC, are finicky.
8/18/12 1:28 PM
Doem

listen people, how much sense does it make to accept a sponsorship for 20k a fight even, when the aggregate of his sponsorships prior to that was already greater than 20k?
8/18/12 1:36 PM
kinkle

Edited: 08/18/12 1:37 PM
Nike pays big dollars to athletes that bolster their IMAGE, guys like Manny, Lebron, Kobe, Tiger, etc.

In this case, the Nike sponsorship legitimizes the image of the Athlete more than the other way around. I wouldn't be surprised if UFC was the one pushing for Jones to get sponsored by Nike, this would explain why the sponsorship deal is so low in money. Jon Jones benefits from this sponsorship much more than Nike.

Being the first international Nike athlete in the UFC is a big deal. I bet the UFC doesn't make them pay the ridiculous sponsorship fee that other companies have to either, Nike would tell Dana to fuck himself.
8/18/12 1:57 PM
Alpha World Peace

Stephen Holder - I still think its shitty that Airel aired this out if its true. How does this make Jones look good or help MMA?

Jones knows the value of having that swoosh on his gear. Just by association he will be getting many other legit high end endorsements. Hes been talking about wanting to be with Nike since last year. I bet the reason it took so long to finalize is because they wanted it to be more lucrative. Maybe they just said fuck it and took the shit deal?

Its still possible that 20k isnt legit, until we hear from him or his agent otherwise, Im going to assume it is. The problem on here is that the UG doesn't understand that just because we all know who Jon Jones is and see him as an established household name, to the majority of America, hes not.

Either way, stop sayin shit like "omg omg you guys obviously dont know how Nike works." Just cuz you watch sports on ESPN in your moms fuckin basement doesnt mean you know shit about Nike. All you have right now is Ariel's claim and zero hype from Nike about the deal and zero rebuttal from Jones or his management saying anything to refute Ariel. Maybe they will but until then have a nice warm glass of shut the fuck up with your crow.
. Phone Post
8/18/12 1:58 PM
Alpha World Peace

kinkle - Nike pays big dollars to athletes that bolster their IMAGE, guys like Manny, Lebron, Kobe, Tiger, etc.

In this case, the Nike sponsorship legitimizes the image of the Athlete more than the other way around. I wouldn't be surprised if UFC was the one pushing for Jones to get sponsored by Nike, this would explain why the sponsorship deal is so low in money. Jon Jones benefits from this sponsorship much more than Nike.

Being the first international Nike athlete in the UFC is a big deal. I bet the UFC doesn't make them pay the ridiculous sponsorship fee that other companies have to either, Nike would tell Dana to fuck himself.
Couldn't have said it better. Phone Post
8/18/12 2:13 PM
Alpha World Peace

JJ1337 - makes sense, Nike has barely even acknowledged that they signed Jones, I bet the UFC went to them and begged them to sign him, probably just wanted the gear on him and Nike accepted without having to pay him shit
That's basically what happened per Dana. Dana said that Ari Emmanuel called Phil Knight (head honcho) from Nike up on behalf of the UFC and made things happen. To that point, Nike had shown zero interest. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.