UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ariel: Jon Jones' deal worth 20k/year

8/17/12 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont believe that. I dont think he is getting crazy millions but 20k a year, thats like 7k a fight if he fights 3 times a year, that sounds like bullshit to me.
8/18/12 1:43 AM
Doem
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/18/12 1:43 AM
lol it would cost Nike 20k a year just to administrate this sponsorship.
8/18/12 9:39 AM
Alpha World Peace

TTT for Malki Phone Post
8/18/12 9:52 AM
Mdson
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guessing Malki sent some of his guys to troll Ariel to make him look bad!??!?! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
8/18/12 9:58 AM
JOESONDO
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Malki is trolling Ariel than this is BRILLIANT! Phone Post
8/18/12 10:02 AM
clown makeup

Ordinarily the sponsor is the first to make the announcement loud and clear with great pride that they are indeed sponsoring someone, alas, there is no mention of jon jones, ufc or mma on Nike's corporate website under press releases, news, other:

http://nikeinc.com/search/news?search_terms=jon+jones

http://nikeinc.com/search?search_terms=mma

http://nikeinc.com/search?search_terms=ufc

8/18/12 10:51 AM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clown makeup - 

Ordinarily the sponsor is the first to make the announcement loud and clear with great pride that they are indeed sponsoring someone, alas, there is no mention of jon jones, ufc or mma on Nike's corporate website under press releases, news, other:

Yeah Bones deal is probably legit and if it is, it's worth a hell of a lot more than 20 grand, but I wondered about it too...seems like the only confirmation has come from Jon himself (and maybe Dana). Maybe they just issue press releases for clothing line/product launches or when the athlete actually does something notable.

And wouldn't Nike have to pay the 100 grand fee to the UFC if they wanted their logo prominently displayed by a fighter in the octagon?

On the other hand...I've gotten free boxes of drumsticks from Vic Firth before so I was "sponsored" but it's not like they put me in ads or anything beyond that.
8/18/12 11:01 AM
Lobo8

LOL, cant believe anybody thinks this is real. Its a global deal with a NIKE. They would never pay him so low for such a deal, no matter who he is.
8/18/12 11:09 AM
Arecsa
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malki got fired on live TV by Meathead for being a shitty agent, wouldn't surprise me if he couldn't get much from Nike.
8/18/12 11:19 AM
Alpha World Peace

clown makeup -

This.

This is why I'm not surprised Jones is only getting 20k signing bonus plus a % of sales. Phone Post
8/18/12 11:20 AM
Alpha World Peace

I've never seen a big sponsorship/endorsement where the company didn't put out a press release or even a blurb on their website about it. Nike has always made a huge deal about their sponsorships in the past.

This must be an important deal to them. Phone Post
8/18/12 11:56 AM
SeanyBooy

Obviously the deal is for more than 20,000, but investing heavily in a UFC champ can be very risky. Boxers can recover quickly from losses and get another fight with a top five opponent within months. UFC guys can be easily shafted and given top 15 opponents as a co main event or lower after a decisive loss. That will probably not happen to Jones, but MMA careers, especially ones in the UFC, are finicky.
8/18/12 1:28 PM
Doem
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

listen people, how much sense does it make to accept a sponsorship for 20k a fight even, when the aggregate of his sponsorships prior to that was already greater than 20k?
8/18/12 1:36 PM
kinkle

Edited: 08/18/12 1:37 PM
Nike pays big dollars to athletes that bolster their IMAGE, guys like Manny, Lebron, Kobe, Tiger, etc.

In this case, the Nike sponsorship legitimizes the image of the Athlete more than the other way around. I wouldn't be surprised if UFC was the one pushing for Jones to get sponsored by Nike, this would explain why the sponsorship deal is so low in money. Jon Jones benefits from this sponsorship much more than Nike.

Being the first international Nike athlete in the UFC is a big deal. I bet the UFC doesn't make them pay the ridiculous sponsorship fee that other companies have to either, Nike would tell Dana to fuck himself.
8/18/12 1:57 PM
Alpha World Peace

Stephen Holder - I still think its shitty that Airel aired this out if its true. How does this make Jones look good or help MMA?

Jones knows the value of having that swoosh on his gear. Just by association he will be getting many other legit high end endorsements. Hes been talking about wanting to be with Nike since last year. I bet the reason it took so long to finalize is because they wanted it to be more lucrative. Maybe they just said fuck it and took the shit deal?

Its still possible that 20k isnt legit, until we hear from him or his agent otherwise, Im going to assume it is. The problem on here is that the UG doesn't understand that just because we all know who Jon Jones is and see him as an established household name, to the majority of America, hes not.

Either way, stop sayin shit like "omg omg you guys obviously dont know how Nike works." Just cuz you watch sports on ESPN in your moms fuckin basement doesnt mean you know shit about Nike. All you have right now is Ariel's claim and zero hype from Nike about the deal and zero rebuttal from Jones or his management saying anything to refute Ariel. Maybe they will but until then have a nice warm glass of shut the fuck up with your crow.
. Phone Post
8/18/12 1:58 PM
Alpha World Peace

kinkle - Nike pays big dollars to athletes that bolster their IMAGE, guys like Manny, Lebron, Kobe, Tiger, etc.

In this case, the Nike sponsorship legitimizes the image of the Athlete more than the other way around. I wouldn't be surprised if UFC was the one pushing for Jones to get sponsored by Nike, this would explain why the sponsorship deal is so low in money. Jon Jones benefits from this sponsorship much more than Nike.

Being the first international Nike athlete in the UFC is a big deal. I bet the UFC doesn't make them pay the ridiculous sponsorship fee that other companies have to either, Nike would tell Dana to fuck himself.
Couldn't have said it better. Phone Post
8/18/12 2:13 PM
Alpha World Peace

JJ1337 - makes sense, Nike has barely even acknowledged that they signed Jones, I bet the UFC went to them and begged them to sign him, probably just wanted the gear on him and Nike accepted without having to pay him shit
That's basically what happened per Dana. Dana said that Ari Emmanuel called Phil Knight (head honcho) from Nike up on behalf of the UFC and made things happen. To that point, Nike had shown zero interest. Phone Post
8/18/12 2:22 PM
Alpha World Peace

Edited: 08/18/12 3:00 PM
How often do you see a big name sponsorship where a company isn't banging a famous athlete's door down to try and sign him?

This sponsorship benefits Jon Jones more than it does Nike. Think about it. Jon jones' Form Athletics line did so great that they were folded by K-Swiss after netting large losses. He was their biggest guy and couldn't sell shirts.

The whole "global" thing means nothing to Nike. In fact, it's probably something that Jones and Kawa specifically asked for, not the other way around. Why would Nike care to "sign him to a global contract"? How many people outside of the US care about Jon Jones? Does he have a huge global fan base? Of course not.

How many times has Jones fought on FOX? If Nike knows they can expect only 400-700,000 people on PPV to see Jon Jones wearing their gear 3 times a year, why would a huge deal matter to them at all? Huge basketball stars wear gear in public and at games a hundred times a year on broadcast TV and on ESPN replays, etc.

People have really overestimated Jon's popularity and reach.

The longer we go without hearing something from Kawa, the greater the chance that Ariel's numbers were close to being realistic.

This deal was made by Nike as a favor to Ari, because he represents so many clients that they covet. Ari did it FOR the UFC, not Jones. The UFC pays Ari's firm William Morris Enterprise (WME) to represent them on a monthly basis.

WME also represents Tim Tebow, Dwight Howard, Serena Williams, Kevin Garnett, Ray Lewis, and the National Football League. When Ari asks Nike for a favor, as we were told by both Dana and Malki as being what happened, Nike goes along with it because it can only help their business with William Morris' high profile clients.

8/18/12 2:33 PM
kinkle

"Regarding the announcement, maybe they are waiting until the shoe/clothing lines are to be released. "

LMAO! You think he is going to have a shoe clothing line? lol and you are calling other people idiots.

The reason other Nike athletes were getting payed a buttload of money is because they were competing with Adidas and Reebok. Where are the Adidas and Reebok offers for Jon Jones? Maybe they didn't exist?
8/18/12 2:44 PM
Alpha World Peace

Edited: 08/18/12 7:51 PM
And here you go!

Here is an exact quote straight from the mouth of Malki Kawa, Jon Jones' agent, on how the deal went down with Nike (by the way, the "Nike deal opens doors for fighters" line is another quote from Kawa, not from Nike):

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/2012-08-09/ufc-champ-jon-jones-nike-deal-opens-door-for-fighters/821515/1

"Ari opened the door for us, and we went in there and just kind of sold the deal," Kawa said. "Nike said, 'We're really taking this meeting kind of like a favor, and we'll go from there.' They really had zero interest in MMA on a global (or) North American level. But as a testament to Jon, to show you the type of guy he is and the type of intelligence and the way he carried himself in that meeting, he did such a wonderful job they left that meeting saying to us they had to figure out a way to make something happen. We started working on hammering out a deal, and we finally got it done."

For both Kawa and Jones, getting the deal with Nike has been a long-term goal.

"This is something that from the day I signed Jon, this was one of his goals -- to get a Nike deal done," Kawa said. "I told him that some way, somehow, I was going to figure out how to get it done. I just knew that if he continued to win and do the right things that he could be the guy that could bring a company like Nike into the mix. We've always known Jon's been that guy."

8/18/12 2:55 PM
kinkle

^^^^

Hmmm, that definitely confirms what some of us thought actually happened.
8/18/12 3:26 PM
Alpha World Peace

Yeah, it sure does.

TTT for Malki. Phone Post
8/18/12 4:04 PM
Alpha World Peace

LilBrockonmychest -
kinkle - "Regarding the announcement, maybe they are waiting until the shoe/clothing lines are to be released. "

LMAO! You think he is going to have a shoe clothing line? lol and you are calling other people idiots.

The reason other Nike athletes were getting payed a buttload of money is because they were competing with Adidas and Reebok. Where are the Adidas and Reebok offers for Jon Jones? Maybe they didn't exist?

Ok, you tell me what it means then to have your own "signature line?"

As a part of the deal, Jones will be featured on worldwide Nike advertising and receive his own signature line, sources said. It is expected to be announced within a week.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/8/3228510/nike-signs-ufc-champion-jon-jones-to-global-sponsorship-deal

Exact terms of the deal have not been released, though Kawa said a joint press release from WME, Nike and First Round Management is forthcoming. Kawa did say, though, the 25-year-old New York native "will be the face of their MMA business. He will have a signature line."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/2012-08-09/ufc-champ-jon-jones-nike-deal-opens-door-for-fighters/821515/1
Do signature lines include shoes when a fighter doesn't wear shoes in his/her sport? Serious question; I have no idea whether there is a past precedent for this or not. Phone Post
8/18/12 4:10 PM
Juicymma
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alpha World Peace -
LilBrockonmychest -
kinkle - "Regarding the announcement, maybe they are waiting until the shoe/clothing lines are to be released. "

Ok, you tell me what it means then to have your own "signature line?"

As a part of the deal, Jones will be featured on worldwide Nike advertising and receive his own signature line, sources said. It is expected to be announced within a week.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/8/3228510/nike-signs-ufc-champion-jon-jones-to-global-sponsorship-deal

Exact terms of the deal have not been released, though Kawa said a joint press release from WME, Nike and First Round Management is forthcoming. Kawa did say, though, the 25-year-old New York native "will be the face of their MMA business. He will have a signature line."

Do signature lines include shoes when a fighter doesn't wear shoes in his/her sport? Serious question; I have no idea whether there is a past precedent for this or not. Phone Post
PAC man had shoes. Phone Post
8/18/12 4:12 PM
kinkle

Jones isn't Pacquiao

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.