UnderGround Forums >> Ariel: Jon Jones' deal worth 20k/year

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

8/18/12 4:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kinkle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LilBrockonmychest - 
kinkle - Jones isn't Pacquiao

That's all you have now?  You're not going to LOL at the fact that he will have a signature line?  I stated that they may be waiting for his shoe/clothing line to be released and you were apparently laughing your ass off while sitting at your computer.  Since I haven't seen the contract, I do not know exactly what Nike is going to do but not sure why what I said made you giggle to yourself.

If you just hate Jon Jones say so.  Don't be a pussy and beat around the bush. 

He might have a couple shirts, but nothing that would be considered a "signature line".

Lmao at comparing a boxer that is a thousand times more popular to Jon Jones.
8/18/12 4:25 PM
kinkle

Are you retarded? Pacquiao boxes barefooted????
8/18/12 4:28 PM
uberpinscher
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kinkle - The deal isn't that bad, I also heard that Jon Jones gets a 50% discount on all Nike products.
Ha Phone Post
8/18/12 4:40 PM
kinkle

Edited: 08/18/12 4:40 PM
LilBrockonmychest - 
kinkle - Are you retarded? Pacquiao boxes barefooted????

No he clearly boxes in these...

I never said he did. You are the guy who is trying to claim Pacquiao boxes barefooted LMAO!

Also those aren't Manny Pacquiao Nike shoes, they aren't even Nike shoes LMAO! IDIOT!
8/18/12 4:40 PM
orcus

Nike is not going to bother going after an athlete to pay him $20k, get real. I know friends in bands who've had 10 seconds of one of their songs used in one commercial and they get paid more than that. 

lol @ believing Nike is going to actually endorse an athlete and only pay him chump change like that.
8/18/12 4:42 PM
kinkle

orcus -  Nike is not going to bother going after an athlete to pay him $20k, get real. I know friends in bands who've had 10 seconds of one of their songs used in one commercial and they get paid more than that. 

lol @ believing Nike is going to actually endorse an athlete and only pay him chump change like that.

I'll believe this random guy with no source, over the countless media reports stating differently.
8/18/12 4:43 PM
Bob Saget Bottom Team

kinkle - The deal isn't that bad, I also heard that Jon Jones gets a 50% discount on all Nike products.
LOL Phone Post
8/18/12 4:44 PM
Bob Saget Bottom Team

LilBrockonmychest - Anyone else heard about them shutting down the Pacquiao line for Jones' line, other than from Dana White of course?

Nike Says Goodbye to Manny Pacquiao as They Say Hello to Jon Jones (UPDATED)

“They’re shutting down the Manny Pacquiao line and starting up the Jon Jones line,” White revealed. “I don’t know why they shut down the Pacquiao line, but they did and that (expletive) was selling like hot cakes. I got Manny Pacquiao (expletive) from Nike.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/nike-says-goodbye-to-manny-pacquiao-as-they-say-hello-to-jon-jones
Pac is going to The Nike Jordan Brand. Phone Post
8/18/12 7:50 PM
Alpha World Peace

LilBrockonmychest - Anyone else heard about them shutting down the Pacquiao line for Jones' line, other than from Dana White of course?

Nike Says Goodbye to Manny Pacquiao as They Say Hello to Jon Jones (UPDATED)

“They’re shutting down the Manny Pacquiao line and starting up the Jon Jones line,” White revealed. “I don’t know why they shut down the Pacquiao line, but they did and that (expletive) was selling like hot cakes. I got Manny Pacquiao (expletive) from Nike.”

http://www.mmaweekly.com/nike-says-goodbye-to-manny-pacquiao-as-they-say-hello-to-jon-jones

According to ABC-CBN News, Nike found White's comments about replacing the Manny Pacquiao line with the Jones line hilarious:

[Michael] Koncz told Boxing Scene’s Ronnie Nathanielsz that not only does Nike maintain its close relationship with Pacquiao, he also said the company has "new deals in store for the eight division world champion." Koncz said the executives at Nike’s headquarters in Beaverton, Oregon felt the comments byUltimate Fighting Championship (UFC) president Dana White that Nike had dropped Pacquiao were "pretty amusing."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/8/14/3242996/nike-manny-pacquiao-dana-white-jon-jones-sponsor-mma-news

8/18/12 7:53 PM
Alpha World Peace

Alpha World Peace - And here you go!

Here is an exact quote straight from the mouth of Malki Kawa, Jon Jones' agent, on how the deal went down with Nike (by the way, the "Nike deal opens doors for fighters" line is another quote from Kawa, not from Nike):

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/mma/post/2012-08-09/ufc-champ-jon-jones-nike-deal-opens-door-for-fighters/821515/1

"Ari opened the door for us, and we went in there and just kind of sold the deal," Kawa said. "Nike said, 'We're really taking this meeting kind of like a favor, and we'll go from there.' They really had zero interest in MMA on a global (or) North American level. But as a testament to Jon, to show you the type of guy he is and the type of intelligence and the way he carried himself in that meeting, he did such a wonderful job they left that meeting saying to us they had to figure out a way to make something happen. We started working on hammering out a deal, and we finally got it done."

For both Kawa and Jones, getting the deal with Nike has been a long-term goal.

"This is something that from the day I signed Jon, this was one of his goals -- to get a Nike deal done," Kawa said. "I told him that some way, somehow, I was going to figure out how to get it done. I just knew that if he continued to win and do the right things that he could be the guy that could bring a company like Nike into the mix. We've always known Jon's been that guy."

*crickets*

Still haven't heard a peep from those who thought that this "huge global deal" Nike couldn't wait to sign John Jones to was going to net him millions upfront.
8/18/12 8:46 PM
Alpha World Peace

LilBrockonmychest -  Crickets?  What are you looking for?  You seem surprised that they got the deal with Nike by knowing someone who knows someone.  That's typically how things start.  Nike had never been involved in MMA like this and are trying it out, with Jones.

Will you come back to this thread and admit you were wrong if/when Jones shows up on their website, if Nike addresses signing, etc...?

Yep, I absolutely will. If Malki or Nike publicly announce that he signed a huge deal with a large amount of upfront money, I'll be happy to eat my plate of crow.

I'm not surprised at all by the meeting being set up by Ari. What I'm surprised about is how so many people on this thread were working under the assumption that Nike cared one iota about making this deal beforehand. All this talk about "It's a GLOBAL deal, just like LeBron" etc. 

And it turns out that Malki himself, through his diarrhea of the mouth, let the cat out of the bag when he said:

Nike said, 'We're really taking this meeting kind of like a favor, and we'll go from there.' They really had zero interest in MMA on a global (or) North American level. 

Anderson Silva was sponsored by the South American Nike brand simply because there are so many viewers in Brazil who watch him fight on national TV. Why would they want to put a small Nike swoosh on Silva's walkout gear? Because 19 MILLION viewers in Brazil watched Anderson Silva fight Chael Sonnen on free television. Not counting any other worldwide viewership (which we can assume is about equal between Silva and Jones), here is a breakdown:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/report-ufc-148-silva-vs-sonnen-2-draws-19-million-viewers-in-brazil

Anderson Silva - 1 fight

UFC 148: 19 million viewers in Brazil + 670,00 PPV buys in North America

Total: 19.6 million viewers in one fight.

Jon Jones - 4 fights 

UFC 128: 470,000 PPV buys
UFC 135: 500,000 PPV buys
UFC 140: 480,000 PPV buys
UFC 145: 700,000 PPV buys

Total: 2.15 million viewers in one year.

LeBron James - 1 NBA FInals game

NBA Finals - One Game (series averaged) - 16.4 million viewers

2.59 million viewers per TNT regular season game x 10 = 25.9 million
1.9 million viewers per ESPN regular season game x 10 = 19 million
5.4 million viewers per ABC regular season game x 5 = 27 million
337,000 viewers per NBATV regular season game x 6 = 2 million

LeBron regular season total: 73.9 million (not counting locally-broadcast games in Miami/opponent)
LeBron NBA finals total: 82 million viewers

Playoff games outside of NBA Finals not counted.
ESPN, interviews, and other TV appearances not counted.
Source: http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-06-22/industries/32364181_1_nba-playoffs-nba-tv-boston-celtics

So it's understandable why, as Malki Kawa said, Nike didn't care one bit about North American (or global) MMA. There's a reason that they never approached Jon Jones about any endorsement deal. 2.15 million people in an entire year see him on pay-per-view streams wearing Nike gear.

Guess what? According to last week's Nielsen ratings:

Law & Order: SVU, rerun (NBC): 3.1 million viewers

So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why Ariel is probably not wrong, in any way, with the numbers he was told from a source close to Jon. Especially given the fact that Jon wanted this sponsorship more than anything in his life.

8/19/12 12:38 PM
DanChow
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one with half a brain would think that the Jones deal is worth 20K...more like 5 million IMO.
8/19/12 12:45 PM
WestCoastMXC

Alpha World Peace -
LilBrockonmychest -  Crickets?  What are you looking for?  You seem surprised that they got the deal with Nike by knowing someone who knows someone.  That's typically how things start.  Nike had never been involved in MMA like this and are trying it out, with Jones.

Will you come back to this thread and admit you were wrong if/when Jones shows up on their website, if Nike addresses signing, etc...?

Yep, I absolutely will. If Malki or Nike publicly announce that he signed a huge deal with a large amount of upfront money, I'll be happy to eat my plate of crow.

I'm not surprised at all by the meeting being set up by Ari. What I'm surprised about is how so many people on this thread were working under the assumption that Nike cared one iota about making this deal beforehand. All this talk about "It's a GLOBAL deal, just like LeBron" etc. 

And it turns out that Malki himself, through his diarrhea of the mouth, let the cat out of the bag when he said:

Nike said, 'We're really taking this meeting kind of like a favor, and we'll go from there.' They really had zero interest in MMA on a global (or) North American level. 

Anderson Silva was sponsored by the South American Nike brand simply because there are so many viewers in Brazil who watch him fight on national TV. Why would they want to put a small Nike swoosh on Silva's walkout gear? Because 19 MILLION viewers in Brazil watched Anderson Silva fight Chael Sonnen on free television. Not counting any other worldwide viewership (which we can assume is about equal between Silva and Jones), here is a breakdown:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/report-ufc-148-silva-vs-sonnen-2-draws-19-million-viewers-in-brazil

Anderson Silva - 1 fight

UFC 148: 19 million viewers in Brazil + 670,00 PPV buys in North America

Total: 19.6 million viewers in one fight.

Jon Jones - 4 fights 

UFC 128: 470,000 PPV buys
UFC 135: 500,000 PPV buys
UFC 140: 480,000 PPV buys
UFC 145: 700,000 PPV buys

Total: 2.15 million viewers in one year.

LeBron James - 1 NBA FInals game

NBA Finals - One Game (series averaged) - 16.4 million viewers

2.59 million viewers per TNT regular season game x 10 = 25.9 million
1.9 million viewers per ESPN regular season game x 10 = 19 million
5.4 million viewers per ABC regular season game x 5 = 27 million
337,000 viewers per NBATV regular season game x 6 = 2 million

LeBron regular season total: 73.9 million (not counting locally-broadcast games in Miami/opponent)
LeBron NBA finals total: 82 million viewers

Playoff games outside of NBA Finals not counted.
ESPN, interviews, and other TV appearances not counted.
Source: http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-06-22/industries/32364181_1_nba-playoffs-nba-tv-boston-celtics

So it's understandable why, as Malki Kawa said, Nike didn't care one bit about North American (or global) MMA. There's a reason that they never approached Jon Jones about any endorsement deal. 2.15 million people in an entire year see him on pay-per-view streams wearing Nike gear.

Guess what? According to last week's Nielsen ratings:

Law & Order: SVU, rerun (NBC): 3.1 million viewers

So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why Ariel is probably not wrong, in any way, with the numbers he was told from a source close to Jon. Especially given the fact that Jon wanted this sponsorship more than anything in his life.

Good post backing up what your saying if Jones continues at the rate hes at the future is looking crisp for him Phone Post
8/19/12 1:02 PM
orcus

Stephen Holder - This is how truly retarded the ug is lol. His own fucking manager is sayin the deal is not lucrative (which does nothing to help the image of jones or mma for that matter) and people are still refuting this. Just lol.

Where's the quote from his manager saying anything about how lucrative the deal was?

All he said was they approached Nike rather than vice versa. And Jones won them over and got a global deal and a signature line. lol @ that being a $20k deal.
8/19/12 1:29 PM
Fighttrader

LilBrockonmychest - 
DanChow - No one with half a brain would think that the Jones deal is worth 20K...more like 5 million IMO.

That's what I've been saying.  I've shown multiple examples of fighters getting paid a significant amount but some are pretty adamant about this $20,000 a year.  I want to see how confident they really are.

Another example below.  Karo Parisyan was making about $175,000 a year back in 2007- 2008 and he said the next year would be the first that his fight purse would be more than his sponsor money in the UFC.  Meaning, he was making at least $90,000 a year from random sponsors 5 years ago.  Yet some on there think the most dominant LHW champions in UFC history and one of the faces of the UFC, who is making millions a year fighting is going to sign a global deal with NIke for $20,000.  It is more than retarded to think this.

http://www.mmaeruption.com/2008/10/karo-parisyan-makes-175000-year-says-ny.html

So, who is willing to take the bet?

Sponsorship money in MMA as a whole has gone down drastically, year by year so bringing up old numbers is like saying my house was worth 300k before the economy tanked so why can't I get 300k for it now. It's completely irrelevant and anyone with 1 day of experience in the MMA business can tell you this. I read stuff people post about sponsorship money on here all the time and it makes me laugh cause 95% of it is so beyond wrong it's not even funny.

About your numbers from TCB great guys but there not in business anymore and they flat over paid fighter's. This happens with lots of new companies that come into this space cause they don't know the market rates so they pay what they feel is fair and some times it's way over the market rate. I think TCB was a perfect example of that. Big reason why these companies need to hire someone with industry experience to make sure there not over paying.

Also no offense but if you ask most people there salary you seriously think there going to tell you what it is or extent it a tiny bit. I believe this is the same with most fighter's when it comes to sponsorship money. If they tell you they made 10k..they probably made like 7k. I think this is just how most people are when it comes to money.

About what Jones makes from Nike until we factually know I'm not going to debate what it is cause none of us know for sure. Maybe he makes 20k maybe he makes 2 million. My personal opinion I would not be suprised if royalties on sales has a HUGE part in the deal as let's be honest this is Nike dipping there toe in the MMA water there not going to give him some massive signing bonus. There a heck of alot smarter then doing something like that.
8/19/12 1:31 PM
DanChow
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"All he said was they approached Nike rather than vice versa. And Jones won them over and got a global deal and a signature line."

LOFL @ that being a $20k deal.
8/19/12 1:37 PM
Fighttrader

DanChow - "All he said was they approached Nike rather than vice versa. And Jones won them over and got a global deal and a signature line."

What is your experience in this industry to LOFL at that being true or not?? I'm not saying it is true or isn't true but sick of people with no experience in the industry telling us what is and isn't true.

Maybe you work for NIKE and I'm about to look stupid but that is something I will roll the dice on.
8/19/12 1:46 PM
UGCTT_Winnson
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard if he passes out enough flyers on weekends he can almost double that.
8/19/12 1:55 PM
DanChow

Fighttrader - 
DanChow - "All he said was they approached Nike rather than vice versa. And Jones won them over and got a global deal and a signature line."

What is your experience in this industry to LOFL at that being true or not?? I'm not saying it is true or isn't true but sick of people with no experience in the industry telling us what is and isn't true.

Maybe you work for NIKE and I'm about to look stupid but that is something I will roll the dice on.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/2010/06/lucrative_deals_with_nike_adid.html
8/19/12 1:57 PM
DanChow

Edited: 08/19/12 1:59 PM
Arizona Nike 7 2007-14 $7,927,500 $1,132,500

ASU Nike 6 2008-14 $11,300,000 $1,883,333

California Nike*# 5 2002-07 $1,745,000 $349,000

Oregon Nike 8** 2010-18 $22,725,000 $2,840,625

Oregon St.Nike 5 2006-11 $3,264,250 $652,850
8/19/12 2:00 PM
DanChow

Edited: 08/19/12 2:01 PM
Last two entries:

Worth in cash and merchandise

and

Value per year
8/19/12 2:07 PM
Fighttrader

DanChow - Arizona Nike 7 2007-14 $7,927,500 $1,132,500

ASU Nike 6 2008-14 $11,300,000 $1,883,333

California Nike*# 5 2002-07 $1,745,000 $349,000

Oregon Nike 8** 2010-18 $22,725,000 $2,840,625

Oregon St.Nike 5 2006-11 $3,264,250 $652,850

So your comparing what NIKE does in college sports to there first US deal in MMA? They have been in college sports for a very long time and the competition in that space is much different then in MMA.

So back to my original question what is your experience in this space? I have tons and I'm smart enough to say I don't know the terms of the deal and won't play the guessing game.
8/19/12 2:12 PM
DanChow

All I am saying is that the 20K figure is way too low..example:

Nike's first contract with LeBron James guaranteed LeBron $13 million a year before he even stepped on an NBA basketball court.

8/19/12 2:13 PM
DanChow

Edited: 08/19/12 2:15 PM
Way back in 1984, Nike signed Jordan to a $2.5 million deal for 5 years. * plus royalties and other fringe benefits.
8/19/12 2:32 PM
DarrenJG

Obviously, $20,000 strikes me as shockingly low and likely untrue.

However, you can't underestimate the impact of Jon being SO desperate for a Nike contract. The fact is, IF they offered him only $20,000, I find it hard to believe he WOULD NOT accept it.

Given his lifelong desire for such a sponsorship, let's be honest, I bet he would have accepted even less, as long as it was tied to the prospect of much bigger money down the road if he continued to succeed.

If they said take $20,000 as a start and we'll help to make you a huge star and tons of money, there probably no way he would turn them down.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.