UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ariel: Jon Jones' deal worth 20k/year

8/19/12 2:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DanChow
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/19/12 2:15 PM
Way back in 1984, Nike signed Jordan to a $2.5 million deal for 5 years. * plus royalties and other fringe benefits.
8/19/12 2:32 PM
DarrenJG
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Obviously, $20,000 strikes me as shockingly low and likely untrue.

However, you can't underestimate the impact of Jon being SO desperate for a Nike contract. The fact is, IF they offered him only $20,000, I find it hard to believe he WOULD NOT accept it.

Given his lifelong desire for such a sponsorship, let's be honest, I bet he would have accepted even less, as long as it was tied to the prospect of much bigger money down the road if he continued to succeed.

If they said take $20,000 as a start and we'll help to make you a huge star and tons of money, there probably no way he would turn them down.
8/19/12 2:48 PM
DanChow
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All I am saying is that if Nike's first contract with LeBron James guaranteed LeBron $13 million a year then Jones' contract will probably be in the low millions and certainly NOT as low as 20k.
8/19/12 2:55 PM
zFugitive

damn, hes makin about 20,000$ more a year than the kids who make Nikes shoes....good deal imo.
8/19/12 3:27 PM
DarrenJG

I agree that $20k/yr seems way too low to be believable.

However, as I wrote, given his great desire for a Nike affiliation, AND given his complete lack of leverage at this point, I would be willing to bet that he WOULD NOT TURN DOWN even a lousy $20k/yr offer.

Do you honestly think he would turn that down. And if Nike realized this, it makes you wonder why they would offer WAY more than the least that would be acceptable.

And no, in my example, it would only be a $20k/yr contract. There can be all sorts of verbal intentions to extend and make it more lucrative in the future, while the actual contract still remains at the set value for the initial year to get things started. Sure, it could be incentive based, but need not be.
8/19/12 4:01 PM
Fighttrader

DanChow - All I am saying is that the 20K figure is way too low..example:

Nike's first contract with LeBron James guaranteed LeBron $13 million a year before he even stepped on an NBA basketball court.

So now were comparing NIKE's NBA deals to there first main US MMA deal? Alrighty :)

Also I never once said that 20k or 2 million is true, cause I don't know. I said people that have zero experience in the business should not be telling us what is or is not true cause they have no clue what there talking about.
8/19/12 4:05 PM
kinkle

Stephen Holder - What the fuck does how much money any other fighters made with MMA SPONSORS have to do with NIKE? We're talking about Nike, not Tap out or Affliction. NIKE up to this point has not fucked with MMA barely, if at all.

Also..Nike approached Jordan and Lebron THEY DIDN'T APPROACH JON JONES. His fucking manager had to practically beg them to sign Jones. Nike isn't exactly advertising that they signed Jones and balked at the idea of dropping Manny's Nike line after Dana said they did. Jones's management are never going to come out and say it was for 20k but they apparently aren't refuting it either (pretty much the same as admitting its 20K.)

Ariel is a punk for sure but I cant remember the last time anything he reported/claimed turned out to be bullshit. This is why Ariel doing this to Jones is a low blow. I guess if it wasn't, he probably wouldn't have brought it up to begin with but the fact is it says how much value Nike places on MMA in general. He should have kept his mouth shut, if not for Jones, then for the sake of MMA.

exactly.
8/19/12 4:08 PM
Fighttrader

khaynes21 - Chael Sonnen was sponsered by Nike in his fight against Marquardt and the first time he fought with Anderson.

I believe he lost that sponsor though due to the elevated levels of testosterone controversy. Nike pulled the pulg.

You sure about that??

I don't remember seeing a swoosh anywhere on him or hearing anything about that and that would of been news in the MMA community.
8/19/12 4:12 PM
obi1

For JOnes to just be decked out in NIkE and no other sponsors, obviously means he is getting more than 20k somehow...

Now the question is, does ZUFFA behind the scenes pay him the difference of what he would have made with other sponsors?? It would make sense, especially because they had sponsored him already. The 20k number is pathetic..but maybe the payoff is just getting in the door with nike.. I dunno though.. Dana seems to be the one who wants to do the "right" deal.. not just get a deal. He waited for the FOX thing to be exactly what they wanted.. But then again you have that Xyience thingy too. I dunno but there is much more to this
8/19/12 4:14 PM
kinkle

"Now the question is, does ZUFFA behind the scenes pay him the difference of what he would have made with other sponsors?? "

They very well could be.

Jones having a Nike sponsorship benefits UFC as much as it does Jones.
8/19/12 4:26 PM
kinkle

"When Chuck was champ, he was getting $75,000 a month from Xyience. A MONTH!!!! For you bad at math, that's $900,000 a year. But ya, keep thinking the current champ and face of the UFC is giving up all other sponsors that would pay him more for $20,000 a year."

Dude just stop, you don't seem to be able to mentally comprehend what people are saying here. Leave this conversation to the adults...
8/19/12 4:46 PM
kinkle

You gave examples that had absolutely nothing to do with Nike. Those were the classic sponsorship scenarios where the UFC fighter is giving exposure to the product. Are you seriously going to say that Jon Jones is giving any exposure to Nike? Dumb.
8/19/12 5:00 PM
kinkle

According to you earlier 20k a year is nothing. Nike is paying pennies for an INVESTMENT on what Jones could be for them. Right now Nike is helping the UFC more than the other way around, which is the reason for the 20k a year. U still don't get it.... sad....
8/19/12 5:01 PM
DarrenJG

LilBrock, it is not necessarily ONLY about short term dollars. It is completely plausible for Jones, or any other fighter, to accept a short term sponsorship pay cut to be given main stream exposure with one of the biggest sports sponsors known the world over. It may be seen as an opportunity to boost their exposure to a FAR wider audience and make a LOT more money in the longer term.

Now, whether $20k is realistic (I doubt it - it seems far too low), is a different story.

But let's say it were $200,000/yr. It may make sense to go with Nike for $200,000/yr for ONE year, rather than stick with small players for a cumulative total of $500,000/yr.

That $300,000 loss could perhaps be made up over time, and then some.

Just speculating - I don't deal with sports/celebrity sponsorship contracts, so I don't know what the real pros and cons are.
8/19/12 5:08 PM
Chris27

Anyone believing he is getting 20k a year is a fool.

8/19/12 5:08 PM
kinkle

That is a dumb bet, because if the deal is worth 20k, you won't hear anybody on Jones side say anything to the media. If it was worth more, they would be reporting the real number right away. How about you send me $100 if Jones side stays silent for a week?
8/19/12 5:16 PM
kinkle

^^^^
Says the guy who thought boxers fight barefooted LOL!!!
8/19/12 5:32 PM
kinkle

You know how much Blake Griffin makes a year with Nike? $400,000.

Blake Griffin is also a much bigger star than Jon Jones will ever be. Did you miss what was posted earlier?

Kawa said. "Nike said, 'We're really taking this meeting kind of like a favor, and we'll go from there.' They really had zero interest in MMA on a global (or) North American level.

The meeting was a FAVOR, Nike doesn't give a SHIT about MMA. Somehow Nike doesn't care about MMA or Jon Jones and during the meeting says "Hey, we really don't care about you but here is a $1-$2M (your idiotic number) a year contract, just because we are such a big company we can afford to toss around money frivolously."
8/19/12 5:35 PM
JimmersonzGlove
475 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ using Chack's Xyience sponsorship as an example for anything

It's a Zuffa company and Chack was their golden boy
8/19/12 5:58 PM
orcus

kinkle - You know how much Blake Griffin makes a year with Nike? $400,000.

Blake Griffin is also a much bigger star than Jon Jones will ever be. Did you miss what was posted earlier?

Kawa said. "Nike said, 'We're really taking this meeting kind of like a favor, and we'll go from there.' They really had zero interest in MMA on a global (or) North American level.

The meeting was a FAVOR, Nike doesn't give a SHIT about MMA. Somehow Nike doesn't care about MMA or Jon Jones and during the meeting says "Hey, we really don't care about you but here is a $1-$2M (your idiotic number) a year contract, just because we are such a big company we can afford to toss around money frivolously."

Hey we really don't care about you but we're going to sign you to a global deal and develop a signature line of clothing in your name, just because we are such a big company we can afford to toss around money and resources frivolously. But even though we're going to spend hundreds of thousands if not millions developing your line and promoting it, we're going to pay you $20k.
8/19/12 5:59 PM
kinkle

Blake Griffin in College was 10x more popular than Jon Jones is right now, Blake Griffin has also never crashed his Bentley while driving drunk.

Malki would never call the deal "not lucrative" because being a Nike athlete is VERY lucrative for Jon Jones. That label is definitely worth more than 20k a year.

Are you going to dicktuck on my bet that if no announcement that the deal is worth more money is made in a week that you will pay me $100?
8/19/12 6:06 PM
Alpha World Peace

Edited: 08/19/12 6:12 PM
kinkle - You know how much Blake Griffin makes a year with Nike? $400,000.

EXACTLY! I just now read through the last day's worth of posts.

Let's look at the facts:

Who does this deal benefit the most? Nike or Jones? Answer: Jones

Who took the "deal meeting" as a favor? Nike or Jones? Answer: Nike

Who said it was a lifelong dream to sign with the other? Nike or Jones? Answer: Jones

Whose manager said that he promised, no matter what, that he would get his client to sign with the other? Nike or Jones? Answer: Jones

Who said they have absolutely ZERO interest in what the other does on a North American or global level? Nike or Jones? Answer: Nike

Who knew that the other entity was willing to do anything to get involved with the other? Nike or Jones? Answer: Nike

Who didn't give a shit whether a deal was signed or not? Nike or Jones? Answer: Nike

Who has less exposure per year than a rerun of Law and Order: SUV on a Sunday afternoon on NBC? Fact. Nike or Jones? Answer: Jones

Who was recently charged and jailed for breaking the law? Nike or Jones? Answer: Jones

Who has made this deal public? One entity has not said a single word about it. Nike or Jones? Answer: Jones

Who would be willing to make a deal with the other for a five dollar bill? Nike or Jones? Answer: Both. Phone Post     
8/19/12 6:07 PM
Alpha World Peace

Stephen Holder - Until either Jones or Nike come right out and say "Jones is making 20k," we wont know. Nike barely even acknowledges the deal. When they signed Lebron to a deal you know what Nike did in Cleavland? In black and white they painted his ugly grill on a huge building and under it put "just believe."

What we DO know right at this moment is Ariel put the shit out there and Malki isn't refuting the claim (which as someone had already pointed out earlier isn't exactly shy about calling people out on their bullshit.) The fact that neither Jones or his management aren't touching it seems to indicate that they are waiting for this shit to blow over so they don't have to discuss it. Just because you (and I) think Jon Jones is a great athlete doesn't mean Nike does. Apparently they feel like Jones benefits from the the arrangement more than they do so why would they shell out a ton of cash? To make the ug happy? Not how it works.
Spot on. Phone Post
8/19/12 6:07 PM
Alpha World Peace

DarrenJG - LilBrock, it is not necessarily ONLY about short term dollars. It is completely plausible for Jones, or any other fighter, to accept a short term sponsorship pay cut to be given main stream exposure with one of the biggest sports sponsors known the world over. It may be seen as an opportunity to boost their exposure to a FAR wider audience and make a LOT more money in the longer term.

Now, whether $20k is realistic (I doubt it - it seems far too low), is a different story.

But let's say it were $200,000/yr. It may make sense to go with Nike for $200,000/yr for ONE year, rather than stick with small players for a cumulative total of $500,000/yr.

That $300,000 loss could perhaps be made up over time, and then some.

Just speculating - I don't deal with sports/celebrity sponsorship contracts, so I don't know what the real pros and cons are.
Yep. Phone Post
8/19/12 6:15 PM
kinkle

The number HAS been leaked, it was 20k. The only way I win this bet according to you is that Malki comes out and states that the 20k number is correct, that would NEVER happen. Basically only you can win the bet, or nobody gets anything. A week is a good number, because it would prove the 20k number was indeed correct, and that Jones side stayed silent just waiting for this whole thing to blow over.

You are too much of a goddamn pussy to take a FAIR BET.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.