UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ariel: Jon Jones' deal worth 20k/year

8/19/12 6:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kinkle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sounds like the pussy is dicktucking to a bet that is actually fair.
8/19/12 6:49 PM
Alpha World Peace

Edited: 08/19/12 6:52 PM
LilBrockonmychest -  You two have to be the most retarded individuals on this site.  Below is the first confirmation I've seen where a Nike spokesperson addresses the relationship with Jones and I have no idea when terms will be released.  Neither do you.  I don't work for Nike and have the information on when they make announcements in relation to when the signing happens.  It would be like me telling you that Jones only made $87 from his PPV buy bonus and if you cant disprove that within 35 minutes you are wrong.   

What I can do is use a bit of common sense and come to the conclusion that Jones would not give up all sponsors for $20,000 annually, Nike would not develop a Signature Line and pay it's fact of Nike MMA such a minimal amount, and when Ari and WME are involved, numbers are higher than that.

“We can confirm that we have a relationship with Jon Jones, but (we're) not getting into any more detail at this point,” Nike spokesman Brian Strong said in an e-mail to FOXSports.com.

http://msn.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ufc-jon-jones-lands-nike-sponsorship-wear-swoosh-at-ufc-151-081812

Sorry, then you tuck.

I don't make bets that just go on interminably. If you really want this bet, as you must since you've stated it 4-5 times on this thread, even to the point of calling another poster a faggot and calling two of us retarded, then you're going to have to put yourself out on some sort of limb. When big sponsorship deals are signed, the terms of the deal are usually disclosed along with the fact that the deal was signed.

Let's play a little imaginary game of logic for a second.

Malki: "Jon, good news. Nike said they would do the deal that you have been dreaming about your whole life. I know that they said in the meeting they don't care about MMA at all and they took the meeting as a favor, but they agreed to some terms. Now here's the thing...

You have to make a decision. You're getting 300k a year from sponsors right now. Since Nike doesn't have faith in MMA, they aren't going to offer you that amount. You'll be getting 20k in upfront money. However...it's a one-year deal. They want to see how many t-shirts you can sell before the commit. Plus, to sweeten the pot, you'll get what you always wanted. A signature line! If they're going to have to put some money into production of the shirts, they're not going to invest a whole lot of upfront money in you. But you'll have 3 t-shirts that they design specifically for you. It will be your line! 

So, we have to eat some money up front, but next year, when we resign, I promise, I'll get more from them. These shirts are going to sell like hotcakes in the MMA community. You'll see. You're already making $2 per PPV plus your normal salary and everything else. It's not like we'll be hurting for money. Is it worth it?"

Jon: "A signature line? Are you fucking kidding me? Praise Jesus! Of course it's worth it. Next year when the deal is up they'll be banging my door down after they see how many shirts we can sell. Maybe they'll even give me a percentage of each T-shirt sold. Thanks, Malki. You're the best manager ever. We're the two best friends that anyone could have! *breaks into song*"

8/19/12 7:01 PM
Jons Forsberg

Edited: 08/19/12 7:01 PM

If Ariel said Jones would be fighting a live bear in the Octagon in his next fight, they would not call a press conference to address that either. If Ariel said he heard Jones was reverting back to a $4K to show and $4K to win deal, they would not address it either.

LOL dude you're just making yourself look foolish at this point, maybe quit while you're behind.
8/19/12 7:06 PM
Jons Forsberg

^LMAO you're one stubborn bitch of a man.
8/19/12 7:08 PM
Jons Forsberg

also you're idea of "common sense" appears to be only what makes sense to yourself. Stubborn and also mildly autistic.
8/19/12 7:13 PM
kinkle

Edited: 08/19/12 7:13 PM
LilBrockonmychest -  Well, I'm done with you two Melvins.  You both seem to be getting dumber by the minute and I feel my IQ dropping each time we converse.  You clearly have no interest in using any sort of common sense regarding UFC main event sponsorships, WME, or Nike and don't feel confident in betting on what you are so sure of.  I'll let you two whack each other off  and e-high 5 some more and think you are correct.  When the numbers are released, I'm sure neither will be anywhere near this thread and will be dicktucking on admitting your were wrong just like you're both dicktucking on the bet.

Later flamers.

HE MAD
8/19/12 7:19 PM
kinkle

Didn't you say you were going to leave this thread?
8/19/12 7:23 PM
3 Sided Square
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another thing about Blake Griffin, besides having almost all his college games on ESPN during the season, and his college dunks on Sports Center Top 10 he had another major hype machine behind him.

He was expected from the moment he declared to be consensus number 1 pick of the draft. And even though the Clippers are second to the Lakers in popularity in LA, it's still one of the biggest markets possible for a guy you want to sponsor. He had a bunch of hype going into the pros it has nothing to do with being "proven". Lebron 7yr/90million dollar contract had nothing to do with whether he would prove himself in the NBA it was all about the hype of an 18yr old going #1 and that is why Nike went after him and even allowed ESPN to film some of the dealings.
8/19/12 7:38 PM
kinkle

Can you break down again how boxers fight barefooted? Or how you dicktucked the fair bet?
8/19/12 7:48 PM
kinkle

Hmm, you can't read.

"Below are the top earners in the NBA off-the-court and our estimates on what they made this season through all endorsement deals."

Also,

"Baseball and to a greater extent football also lack global appeal limiting what Nike and Reebok can do with a Jeter or Manning outside the U.S. A $1 million a year shoe and apparel is a massive deal for a football or baseball star and there are only a handful out there."

But according to you Jon Jones deserves a 2 million dollar contract, more than Derek Jeter or Peyton Manning, LMFAO!
8/19/12 7:48 PM
clown makeup

Cannot imagine this stated lofty goal will end well, you all ready have one side shooting their mouth off even before the ink has dried. On top of that Dana White completely misstating the "relationship" [note that key word the Nike spokesman used], and on to of all of that, the entire arrangement is nothing more than a favor from someone to someone. Do you think Jone's agent asked permission to annouce what he did? If so why hasn't Nike followed up. Perhaps his agent thinks by publicising his intended arrangement i.e his wants for his client, it will somehow force Nike to accept it. No unlike how the whole UFC "leaks" and public swaying is used to force issues. Something is not right with the deal, comfirmed annoucements are taking too long. The numbers can be right. 20K nominal sum to contract, 99% on shoes and clothes to Nike 1% to Jones.  More like Jone's and his agent are trying to license Nike.  Still cannot imagine they are too pleased with the agent making the premature annoucement coupled with Dana White fucking it all up. Some favor that guy brought Nike, So far an
unnecessary headache
8/19/12 8:07 PM
kinkle

If Derek Jeter/ Peyton Manning really make a million a year on endorsements the 20k number isn't that crazy.

I could see Nike telling Jon Jones manager "We pay Derek fucking Jeter a million dollars, Jon Jones isn't 1% as famous as Derek Jeter, since we are such nice guys and believe in Jones we will double that offer to 2% of Derek Jeter, and give him 20k."

Sounds believable.
8/19/12 8:48 PM
kevsh
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

20K, think about it.
What Nike rep is going to even say a number like that? It's such a small number as to be almost insignificant to a guy like JBJ. Insulting, even.

Jones got 400k for the fight against Evans alone, and that's just his base earnings from the fight. It's safe to say Jon is going to earn well over $1 million in 2012. That would mean this deal would represent 1/50th of his yearly earnings.

At UFC 151 he'll be wearing the Nike logo. As others have already pointed out 20k would be low for a sponsorship deal for that fight *alone*, never mind an entire year contract.

My best guess is that the 20k may in fact be the amount he's getting for UFC 151 period. Still low but at least believable. Ariel's source may have just got it wrong, misunderstood, who knows.

8/19/12 9:17 PM
kinkle

Actually read the FORBES article:

"For all of the players below, their shoe/apparel deal is by far their biggest endorsement. This is often the case with elite soccer and tennis players as well. The most marketable players in these three sports can command $6-7 million annually in a shoe/apparel deal or much more in the case of a few like James, Bryant, David Beckham and Roger Federer."

"Below are the top earners in the NBA off-the-court and our estimates on what they made this season through all endorsement deals."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2011/06/06/the-nbas-endorsement-stars/2/
8/19/12 11:40 PM
FingerorMoon
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson Silva needs to teach all his friends how to make 'Anderson Silva money'

Lyoto and Bones just aren't doing it right.
8/19/12 11:45 PM
Jons Forsberg

FingerorMoon - 
Anderson Silva needs to teach all his friends how to make 'Anderson Silva money'

Lyoto and Bones just aren't doing it right.

simple, become a national hero in a country where 20mil + people watch every one of your fights. Anderson Silva is truly mainstream in Brazil, he's even on a list of top 100 greatest brazilians of all time or something like that. Every single person has at least heard of him over there, whereas Jones about 2% of all Americans know who he is.
8/20/12 12:13 AM
Chris27

Mike Straka ?@MikeStraka

Anyone who thinks Nike is paying 20k per yr to Jones is sorely mistaken. Ari doesn't get out of bed for less than a million a day.
8/20/12 12:13 AM
Jons Forsberg

LilBrockonmychest -  Not that I would put say this is a verified #, but FrontRowBrian has broken quite a few news stories over the years and definitely has some inside info.  I would believe him over Ariel and this number is much more realistic than $20K a year.

Per his twitter....

FRB is reporting $750K per year and incentives based upon sales that could push it into the millions annually...

lol not believing Ariel Helwani then bringing up a FrontRowBrian 'report' into the conversation. Come on man have some dignity.
8/20/12 12:33 AM
Alpha World Peace

LilBrockonmychest -  

You realize that Fighterstyle.com MADE that graphic themselves. Nike did not make it. (As obviously evidenced by the difference in photo structure around the text "Jonny Bones" and the Nike swoosh underneath it.

http://i50.tinypic.com/24dg6x1.png
8/20/12 12:36 AM
Alpha World Peace

Edited: 08/20/12 12:39 AM
LilBrockonmychest -  Not that I would put say this is a verified #, but FrontRowBrian has broken quite a few news stories over the years and definitely has some inside info.  I would believe him over Ariel and this number is much more realistic than $20K a year.

Per his twitter....

FRB is reporting $750K per year and incentives based upon sales that could push it into the millions annually...

So Nike is paying Jon Jones almost 2 times the $400,000/year that they are paying an ENORMOUS worldwide NBA star like Blake Griffin, who has multiple TV commercials, is an All-star NBA player, and the human highlight reel on ESPN?

But they had NO INTEREST in MMA and no interest in signing Jones before he "charmed them at the meeting", as Malki put it.

http://www.stellarpath.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/riiight.jpeg

8/20/12 12:39 AM
Jons Forsberg

^Derek Jeter money brah!!
8/20/12 12:49 AM
Alpha World Peace

Edited: 08/20/12 12:49 AM
Chris27 - Mike Straka ?@MikeStraka

Anyone who thinks Nike is paying 20k per yr to Jones is sorely mistaken. Ari doesn't get out of bed for less than a million a day.

Thanks for posting, Chris27.

LOL @ Straka's misinformed take on things -- Ari Emmanuel simply made a phone call as a FAVOR TO HIS CLIENT, THE UFC, to set up a meeting between Nike and Bones Jones. This has been stated by multiple people involved with the process including Dana and Malki.

Ari isn't Bones' agent, nor is he brokering a deal with Nike. He cajoled Nike into sitting down with Malki and Jon Jones by themselves and then washed his hands of the whole thing. 

C'mon, Straka. I'd expect a better grasp of the situation from you.  
8/20/12 12:53 AM
DanChow
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man this thread still here?? 20K is chump change...JJ making millions between endorsements, incentives, fights etc.
8/20/12 12:54 AM
DanChow
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/20/12 12:53 AM
dbl
8/20/12 12:57 AM
3 Sided Square
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAfanWA - 
Alpha World Peace -

Per his twitter....

So Nike is paying Jon Jones almost 2 times the $400,000/year that they are paying an ENORMOUS worldwide NBA star like Blake Griffin, who has multiple TV commercials, is an All-star NBA player, and the human highlight reel on ESPN?

But they had NO INTEREST in MMA and no interest in signing Jones before he "charmed them at the meeting", as Malki put it.

http://www.stellarpath.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/riiight.jpeg

Who the hell is Blake Griffin? Phone Post

Lol dude don't add to the stereotype of MMA fans not going anywhere outside their online forum bubble.

Never mind it's actually not a stereotype it's true.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.