UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Pads or Bags: Which do you prefer...

8/18/12 5:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Andy the man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To work on and why?

I used to LOVE working on the Bags but now i'm not really to bothered about them.

You?
8/22/12 2:47 PM
dennis5
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pads! But only with a really good trainer, sparring is the only other thing that helps improve technique. Bags help develop strength and (imho) not much else.
8/27/12 9:59 AM
e. kaye

Bags, pads suck.
9/3/12 2:51 PM
KevinMcAllister
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pads Phone Post
9/3/12 9:55 PM
PoundforPound
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pads. Bags are great for developing power but nothing gets you closer to a real fight than pads. Other than sparring of course.
9/4/12 10:34 AM
Spartan79

e. kaye -  Bags, pads suck.
Pads don't suck only the person holding them! Phone Post
9/4/12 10:35 AM
Spartan79

Both have the place but if I could only do one it would be the pads! Phone Post
9/4/12 12:45 PM
martinburke
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pads have been around since at least the 1950s, but they really weren't used much before the Rocky movies made them popular.

The original purpose of the pads was so a trainer could work on a particular punch that a fighter was having trouble executing. Once the fighter mastered the mechanics of the punch, the trainer would put him back on the bag.

The old trainers thought that the pads taught the fighter bad habits: they become too robotic, it develops bad balance, and it encourages arm punching.
9/4/12 12:46 PM
e. kaye

martinburke - Pads have been around since at least the 1950s, but they really weren't used much before the Rocky movies made them popular.

The original purpose of the pads was so a trainer could work on a particular punch that a fighter was having trouble executing. Once the fighter mastered the mechanics of the punch, the trainer would put him back on the bag.

The old trainers thought that the pads taught the fighter bad habits: they become too robotic, it develops bad balance, and it encourages arm punching.

Gracias.
9/4/12 12:53 PM
martinburke
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From The Arc of Boxing:

Emanuel Steward: "They have the fighters punch the hand pads - pop, pop, pop - and they put on a show and make a lot of noise that's impressive to the crowd and the media guys. But it's just a show for the most part. Very little is actually being taught. As I've said, there just aren't any teachers, and that's been a big problem for some time."
9/4/12 12:54 PM
e. kaye

I would like to add that most heavy bags suck.  The large Everlast leather bag that cost $600 bucks is one of the best around.  They stuff them perfectly.  I am sure that there are a few other brands too.

My new gym bought three Title bags.  One was canvas and had the right feel.  One was pleather and hard as a rock, totally useless.    Then they got a different Title that was pleather and just right.

I am not sure why anyone would want a bag that is hard as a rock or why anyone would sell it.
9/4/12 1:30 PM
martinburke

That, and most of the gyms I've been in have their bags on too short a chain. Bags should be able to swing in a 8-10 ft circle.
9/4/12 1:39 PM
e. kaye

And they are hung at the wrong height.    Usually, way too low.   

If  you walk up to the bag and notice where your nose touches and then take note of where most guys punch the bag, they are practicing to hit midgets.

Bad practice, bad results.
9/4/12 4:30 PM
dennis5
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pads offer the perfect bridge between the bags and sparring. You can work offense and defense, distance, blocks, parries, slips, ducks,counterpunches, reaction punches, footwork etc. A good trainer will help/make you drop bad habits like dropping your hands, not moving your head etc. Like the bag, but the pads teach you so much.
9/5/12 7:59 AM
tiger07
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Both help me. I love the bag for power and endurance. Pads for technique and endurance.
9/6/12 12:54 AM
SawyerKOKoff
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definitely pads. The bag alone does cover different boxing styles. A good trainer can emulate the movement of any fighting style, and work on executing a gameplan to win vs. a specific style.
9/12/12 3:37 PM
cruize

pads are good for the fighter but hard on a trainers elbows and wrist.
9/13/12 12:58 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pads are useful if the trainer forces you to move and react.

Bags are useful if they swing. As MartinBurke says, the chains need to be long enough (Kenny Weldon discuss on that point in his videos).

9/13/12 2:04 AM
The Sauce
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10moreMarlons -  Pads, but only with someone that understands how a variety of boxing styles work.
I hold a fuck load of pads for muay Thai and I never really thought of that. That's a very interesting comment. I'm going to pay attention to that! Phone Post
9/13/12 2:30 AM
e. kaye

keseki - Pads are useful if the trainer forces you to move and react.

Bags are useful if they swing. As MartinBurke says, the chains need to be long enough (Kenny Weldon discuss on that point in his videos).

Hmmmm,   if the bag is the right wieght and hng correctly, it should not swing at all when you hit it.   Minimally at best.
9/13/12 12:54 PM
buddie
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blonds or brunettes? Variety is the spice of life and vitally important to a boxer in training.
9/13/12 1:50 PM
buddie
374 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

e. kaye - 
keseki - Pads are useful if the trainer forces you to move and react.

Hmmmm,   if the bag is the right wieght and hng correctly, it should not swing at all when you hit it.   Minimally at best.

One good way to use a bag is to move with it, work your selection of punches, imagine it as an opponent moving around the ring. Another way to use a bag is to build strength, with a more stationary bag. In reality, if you have the desire to improve, the acumen to improve and good training, you can be a good fighter.

Fighters like Dempsey, Frazier and countless others became amazing fighters after starting out by training in their garage, backyard, barn, whatever.
9/13/12 11:29 PM
Twelve Gage
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightlogs.com, Owner
 I like the pads better, if you have someone who knows what they are doing holding for you. 

I do agree with e.kaye that the height of the bag does make a big difference though.
9/14/12 2:00 AM
keseki

No, the bag should swing. It will, if the rope/chain is long enough.

A bag that doesn't move can't replicate a moving opponent, so there's no value for a boxer in hitting it. Unless you are going to be boxing with opponents who don't move.

Check out the bags Jack Dempsey used to hit.

If a bag needs to be light to move, then it should be light.

I refer you to Kenny's videos on bags, or the review I linked above if you can't get the video).

I'm not referring to Muay Thai. They have different training methods.

11/26/12 11:53 AM
SanshiroSugata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally, nothing is more fun to me than working a swinging heavybag. Not so much for power, but just getting into a nice rhythm and moving around it.

I could literally do that for hours and not get bored.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.