UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cyborg: 145 gone, tchau. SF: No it isn't

8/19/12 8:53 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Saturday night Ronda Rousey defended her Strikeforce 135 lb. bantamweight championship by tapping out Sarah Kaufman in 50 seconds with an armbar. This was Rousey's ninth straight win (pro and ammy combined). It was Rousey's ninth straight win by armbar. And it was the eighth fight to end in under a minute.

The sport immediately turned to thoughts of a superfight between Rousey and Cris 'Cyborg' Santos, who is suspended for PEDs until December.

"I need to send out a challenge to Miss Cyborg out there," screamed Rousey immediately post fight from inside the cage. "People want to see the first fair fight of your life. I'm the champ now. The champ doesn't go to you, you go to the champ. Come down to 135 and let's settle this."

At the post fight press con, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker described the fight should it come together as “one of the biggest fights in the history of mixed martial arts.”

Curiously, the other half of the superfight, Cris 'Cyborg' Santos, was tweeting from cageside that she was waiting release from the organization.

Some of the puzzling tweets have since been deleted.

Cris Cyborg ‏@criscyborg
Do not stay sad. God knows all things. Surely at some event that will fight Have my category.
I'm waiting for my liberation from the UFC..

Luke Thomas ‏@SBNLukeThomas
Cyborg is running her Tweets through Google Translator and publishing them verbatim. Would a Portuguese speaker kindly translate them?

17mDaniel Vaz ‏@VazDaniel
"Guys, I'm afraid that fight is not happening. My division no longer exists. I'm waiting to be released from the UFC."

Read entire twitter...

Despite rumors that the Strikeforce 145 lb. women's featherweight division was going to be shelved, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker said the tweets were without merit.

“She must be misinformed,” Coker told MMAWeekly.com’s Erik Fontanez. “I don’t understand why she’d be saying that since we just had a 145-pound fight on the card tonight.” (Hiroko Yamanaka vs. Germaine de Randamie).

Whatever her strengths and weaknesses, Cris Cyborg is a professional fighter. It seems hugely unlikely she is tucking her tail and running from Rousey.

Maybe she feels disrespected?

She later tweeted, "A fight with anyone, anywhere. So I want to be respected as everyone wants to be."

Maybe she's right, and Coker was holding off on publicly acknowledging the news.

Maybe it is as simple as Cris Cyborg remains a puzzle.

8/19/12 8:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Aleck911
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what means tchau?
8/19/12 9:11 AM
UGCTT_rkilla
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/19/12 9:12 AM
Aleck911 - what means tchau?

I believe it is similar to "ciao". Urban dictionary (lol) confirms it's brazilian portuguese for "bye!"  
8/19/12 11:12 AM
Kirik
1364 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Follow me, on Twitter

Maybe I spelled it wrong? Bra Portuguese for bye is what I was looking for.
8/19/12 11:17 AM
Strykr619
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

translation = I am scared of Rhoda, she looks better then me, is  SUPERIOR martial artist in every way or form and I can't fight without my "pimp juice". 

Damn talk about a dick tuck. 
8/19/12 11:20 AM
CV973

Why is Rhonda changing her words now. Her orginal plan when she first started calling out Cyborg WAS to go back up to 145 and fight Cyborg there. “I’m planning to drop down and win the 135-pound belt before I go after the 145-pound title,” she says. “I definitely want to win both belts and be the undisputed best female fighter in the world. A fight with Cyborg would be the most important of my career, and I want to treat it like the Olympics and be entirely peaked when that time comes. The 145-pound division doesn’t really have that many women signed in Strikeforce, so I’d be better off going for the 135-pound title first. Once Cyborg and I finally fight, it would be two titleholders against each other, and the fight would even be an even bigger deal.”
8/19/12 11:46 AM
spiral
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Once Cyborg and I finally fight, it would be two titleholders against each other"

her words changed because circumstances changed. santos is not a titleholder. the interview you cited was prior to the PED suspension. the "first fair fight" comment makes that pretty obvious.
8/19/12 2:02 PM
JustAnotherMMAFan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strykr619 -  translation = I am scared of Rhoda, she looks better then me, is  SUPERIOR martial artist in every way or form and I can't fight without my "pimp juice". 

Damn talk about a dick tuck. 

Ronda Rousey's judo has been better than other girls' mixed martial arts.

By no means Ronda is superior in other respects (muay thai, boxing, and wrestling).

Ronda said in an interview that she would try to force Cyborg to come down in weight, as she would be weaker at 135 lbs.

So, we know who is ducking who here.
8/19/12 2:03 PM
JustAnotherMMAFan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spiral - "Once Cyborg and I finally fight, it would be two titleholders against each other"

her words changed because circumstances changed. santos is not a titleholder. the interview you cited was prior to the PED suspension. the "first fair fight" comment makes that pretty obvious.

Ronda stated she wanted Cyborg to come down in weight because she would be weaker at 135 lbs.

She is scared of fighting Cyborg at 145 lbs.

8/19/12 2:05 PM
Trevor Corey

LOL @ TCHAU

ciao, mods, ciao.
8/19/12 2:11 PM
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

spiral - "Once Cyborg and I finally fight, it would be two titleholders against each other"

how many times did cyborg get caught? 1st fair fight sounds like she only had 1 fight.
8/19/12 4:54 PM
Cya

ttt
8/19/12 5:30 PM
Forssberg

Last I checked Cyborg never lost her title. She's still champion and has been such for much longer than Ronda.
8/19/12 7:40 PM
Aleck911
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik -

10 hours later I figured it out
Now I see it as "ciao" Phone Post
8/19/12 7:41 PM
Aleck911

Forssberg - Last I checked Cyborg never lost her title. She's still champion and has been such for much longer than Ronda.
Wasn't she stripped of the title when she got popped? Phone Post
8/19/12 9:38 PM
Dana Stern

Im not sure who wins this fight being that Ronda really hasn't shown her entire game yet or been pushed by anyone. She hasn't gone into later rounds either so that's also a factor. Also I truly believe Cyborg has never fought clean as long as she's been fighting at the top level, so I'm not sure how she would look not on the juice. It's such an interesting fight and I'm not the biggest fan of WMMA but I would buy the PPV if it was one. Let's just hope The powers that be don't F this up and can put this fight together ASAP! Phone Post
8/19/12 9:56 PM
CharlesLewis
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cyborg won't make 135 without her little helper.
8/19/12 10:06 PM
Team GDP
310 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Luke Thomas ‏@SBNLukeThomas
Cyborg is running her Tweets through Google Translator and publishing them verbatim. Would a Portuguese speaker kindly translate them? 

that made me lol!
8/20/12 12:03 AM
NegoVeio
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 

It is spelled correctly.
8/20/12 12:39 AM
Chhem
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

didn't coker say 145 was shelved after Cyborg was suspended?
8/20/12 12:58 AM
MMALOGIC

Ronda would probably beat her at 145... she should demand vada testing, beat her and then go back down.
8/20/12 1:43 AM
B_Goetz

It's unlikely that Ronda could beat her at any weight, but Cris has said repeatedly that she can't make 135, so Ronda knows her challenge will never be met. She can act like she wants the fight without ever having to worry about it actually happening.
8/20/12 1:52 AM
NegoVeio
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trevor Corey - LOL @ TCHAU

ciao, mods, ciao.

Ciao is italian. Tchau is Brazilian Portuguese.
LOL @ You, i guess.
8/20/12 10:05 AM
Illidan

Think the man jokes and comments are getting old and disgusting. Cyborg doesn't deserve that, if anything she's out there training, fighting, first because she loves it and second for us fans.

On top of it all she is a woman, and I'm sure all these jokes are starting to weigh on her.
8/20/12 5:56 PM
Roland Bates
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gesundheit!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.