UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> I need some sound equipment.

8/19/12 4:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
libertines24
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are the best stuff? I already have a prosumer camera and lights but I have no idea about sound. What would be the best bet? I'm willing to spend up to a 1000 dollars but ideally I would like to be around 400-600
9/4/12 5:41 AM
BarkLikeADog
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I build & service TV stations & nightclubs. Can you be more specific about what you want to do? A single pro microphone can break your budget.
9/4/12 10:40 AM
BarkLikeADog
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/04/12 10:44 AM
Assuming you just want a general all purpose do everything kit, you probably want:

-A lav for interviews. AudioTechnica AT31B is a popular choice @ $179.
-Probably a wireless system to make the lav convenient. Passable wireless STARTS around $500.
-A nice big dynamic for gathering sound in the field. This can double for VO work. Like an Electrovoice RE20 for $300.
-A mic stand with a boom to use that mic in about any situation. $50-100 depending on how long you want it to last.
-A shotgun mic for catching dialogue in situations where you can't have the mic on screen, plus all the crap you need to make it work (boom pole, shock mount, windscreen, etc.) The Rode NTG2 is a common low-budget choice, @ $600 with the kit.
-Xlr cables to patch them in. ~$1/foot.
-Preamp/mixer large enough to handle your projects. There are little mobile ones for $100 or less; you might have enough built in your camera.

That gets you a pro-ish rig that will handle any sort of situation for under $2K. If that's too much, just get a Shure SM57 & SM58 for $100 each & you have the industry standard bulletproof workhorses. They don't sound awesome but they'll work in a wide variety of situations. Keep in mind that great mics start around $900.
4/21/14 3:33 AM
The Fella
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BarkLikeADog - Assuming you just want a general all purpose do everything kit, you probably want:

-A lav for interviews. AudioTechnica AT31B is a popular choice @ $179.
-Probably a wireless system to make the lav convenient. Passable wireless STARTS around $500.
-A nice big dynamic for gathering sound in the field. This can double for VO work. Like an Electrovoice RE20 for $300.
-A mic stand with a boom to use that mic in about any situation. $50-100 depending on how long you want it to last.
-A shotgun mic for catching dialogue in situations where you can't have the mic on screen, plus all the crap you need to make it work (boom pole, shock mount, windscreen, etc.) The Rode NTG2 is a common low-budget choice, @ $600 with the kit.
-Xlr cables to patch them in. ~$1/foot.
-Preamp/mixer large enough to handle your projects. There are little mobile ones for $100 or less; you might have enough built in your camera.

That gets you a pro-ish rig that will handle any sort of situation for under $2K. If that's too much, just get a Shure SM57 & SM58 for $100 each & you have the industry standard bulletproof workhorses. They don't sound awesome but they'll work in a wide variety of situations. Keep in mind that great mics start around $900.

vu

2 days ago
joxy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very well explained answer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.