UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> 5x5 1 Yr Results

8/19/12 10:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jacks Wasted Life
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started lifting on a 5x5 routine about a year ago. I didn't use starting strength but rather just used sets of 5 reps on a limited number of exercises. I changed exercises a couple times over the course of the year but eventually found the following worked best for me:

Trap Bar Deadlift
Bench
Chin Ups
Overhead Press
Dumbell Row
Hanging Leg Raises (Sets of 20)

I lifted once a week (typically on Sunday) for about an hour to an hour and a half. I always did 5x5 for Trap Bar Deadlift and Bench, but ultimately found I got better results doing only 3 sets of the other movements. This is probably just because I had to cram everything into 1 lifting day a week.

My bench started at 175 for 5, a year later it is at 225 for 5. My trap bar deadlift started at 225 for 5 and now is at 290 for 5. It should have progressed more, but I tweaked my back at one point and had to slowly build my poundages back up. Bodyweight was about 180 at the start and is right around 200 now. I'm sure I've gained a bit of fat but not too much...I don't really appear visibly fatter but do look quite a bit bigger overall.

I still have quite a ways to go, but at 35 this is definitely the biggest and strongest I've ever been. Heavy, power based training works great - I wasted a lot of time doing more bodybuilding type of routines when I was younger. Wish I had got on board with more strength based training a long time ago...in my experience not only is it better for strength gains, but for size gains too. Phone Post
8/20/12 1:00 AM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's your diet look like

Well done btw Phone Post
8/20/12 1:30 AM
ravenman2000
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's pretty good progress for just once a week lifting.  What other physical activity do you do?
8/20/12 10:03 AM
Jacks Wasted Life
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My diet is pretty normal. I don't.count calories and basically just eat a comfortable amount of food; I don't starve myself and don't stuff myself. Inevitably my appetite spikes for a few days after lifting and I eat a bit more. My normal meals are:

Breakfast - Protein shake (whey and almond milk), oatmeal, nuts

Lunch - Rice cakes with peanut butter, protein drink, nuts, salad

Dinner - Omlette (Eggs, egg whites, cheese), baked potatoes or gluten free toast (I have a gluten allergy)

Snacks - fruit, nuts, almond milk

I have cheat meals twice a week where I eat a lot more food and anything I've been craving, gluten free pizza, soda, chips etc. I have meat occasionally; I love meat but am not much of a cook. Protein shakes and eggs are much quicker and more convenient.

Lifting once a week, walking 15-30 minutes a day and 10-15 minutes of yoga a day has been pretty much my only exercise. I have definitely been neglecting cardio and plan on correcting that. I'll probably add burpee intervals twice a week to start and see from there. Phone Post
8/21/12 3:09 AM
Leigh
723 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well done :) Phone Post
8/24/12 3:31 AM
Friction

That is great progress for one day.a week! Goes to show all or nothing never gets too.far. Even one day a week can do you some good.
8/24/12 10:40 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good stuff, congrats!
8/24/12 3:10 PM
Jacks Wasted Life

Thanks guys - I have a very busy schedule so I was pleased to find that you can make good gains lifting once a week. I think the keys for once a week lifting are to focus on a limited number of compound movements, keep your volume fairly low and really focus on poundage progression. That extra 5 pounds on the bar every few weeks adds up if you stay consistent with the workouts. Phone Post
9/3/12 6:09 PM
rosario00

Holy shit, didn't know one day a week could give you results like that..nice Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.