UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fitch: Brazilians cheering 4 me like Rocky I hope

8/20/12 12:25 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In another in a series of tremendous interviews, Stephie Daniels sat down with Jon Fitch and covered a wide range of topics, including whether this stoppage was too fast.

Stephie Daniels: How did you feel about the stoppage in your fight with Johny Hendricks?

Jon Fitch: He dropped me with a good punch. I've been dropped before. Three has always been the number I believe, three unanswered blows before they should stop it, but I only got hit twice. I was up and completely fine immediately after. I immediately recognized the ref as he was jumping on me. I was fine, and I think I could have went longer.

SD: Has the fight experience sort of changed or mutated along the way from your initial title run to now?

JF: I think the climate of fighting has changed a little bit. I think it's a little more excitement and entertainment based than a sport, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying that it's heading more in that direction. I think the adaptation that the fighters have to make is to up their game to that more modern trend.

The original pioneers of the sport started dropping off when they failed to adapt to the new, mixed style. Guys with jiu jitsu and wrestling and striking were putting it together, so guys stuck with just jiu jitsu or just wrestling started falling behind. It's just a different kind of metamorphosis in the sport now. That excitement factor, that little extra flair on top is a part of the sport now.

SD: Ideally, how many more years would you like to continue fighting?

JF: Well, I feel good, and I like my job, so as long as I stay healthy and I'm having fun, I can see myself fighting for another 10 years. You know, I've put 10 years in this summer, and I think I can get another 10 in.

SD: You've recently verbally agreed to meet a rising prospect in Erick Silva at UFC 153. What's the overall feeling about fighting him on his home turf in Brazil?

JF: I'm excited about this fight. One of the reasons I got into the fight game was to travel the world and visit exotic places and fight the locals, so now one of my dreams is coming true. I get to go to Brazil and fight Erick Silva in his home town.

I love Brazilians. I love jiu jitsu. I've always gotten a lot of warmth for my jiu jitsu from the Brazilian fans, so I'm hoping I'll be well received and hopefully, by the end of the fight, I'll have them cheering for me like Rocky in Rocky IV.

Read entire article...

"During this fight, I've seen a lot of changing, in the way you feel about me, and in the way I feel about you. In here, there were two guys killing each other, but I guess that's better than twenty million. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"
[loud applause, even by the Politburo]

8/20/12 12:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Winnson
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know why, but that thread title made me laugh.
8/20/12 12:28 PM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Winnson - I don't know why, but that thread title made me laugh.
Ditto Phone Post
8/20/12 12:28 PM
Jaybrone
526 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He immediately recognized the red as he shot a takedown and got guillotined? Phone Post
8/20/12 12:29 PM
DonaldCerroneTheGuyNateDiazBeat
440 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, he was fine - uh huh keep telling yourself that Jon...you were out cold. With all due respect, it's embarrassing - he should just admit he lost.
8/20/12 12:29 PM
Hocky Balboa
10639 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe like Rocky V. Phone Post
8/20/12 12:30 PM
NorthFromHere
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 08/20/12 12:30 PM
MMAViking.com
 I always thought that Hendricks knocked him out cold but based on this gif Fitch might have a point there. Good stoppage anyways

8/20/12 12:33 PM
ChaosOverkill
734 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DonaldCerroneTheGuyNateDiazBeat - Yeah, he was fine - uh huh keep telling yourself that Jon...you were out cold. With all due respect, it's embarrassing - he should just admit he lost.

Yeah these guys talk about how mentally focused and strong they are when things are going strong and that the best way to deal with a loss is to put it behind you and move on right away. And then they lose and they don't move on whatsoever.
8/20/12 12:37 PM
youarewhatiswrong
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL at immediately recognizing the ref. He clearly just has a hatred for Mazagatti, and wanted to take him down and put some ground and pound on him, but he underestimated Mazagatti's jiu-jitsu.
8/20/12 12:39 PM
12SixElbow
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ Fitch.

I was up and completely fine immediately after. I immediately recognized the ref as he was jumping on me. I was fine, and I think I could have went longer.

You TACKLED the ref Fitch, you were not fine.

8/20/12 12:44 PM
MysteriousNinjaFromMars
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He has a point, he did manage to regain consciousness shortly after Hendricks stopped punching him in the face...(@_@)....
8/20/12 12:47 PM
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys Fitch was fine during that stoppage, he just doesnt like Steve so he tried to fight him for stopping the fight early.

8/20/12 12:50 PM
Mdson
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The reason Fitch was 'fine' after that punch is because the referee did a good job and stopped it. Had the ref let that fight continue Fitch might have not been so fine. Just my opinion, I got nothing against Fitch!
8/20/12 12:54 PM
12SixElbow
623 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

8/20/12 1:03 PM
blupitt
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep hoping, brazillians aren't gonna cheer for u when ur trying to ride a decision on top of one of their best prospects... Phone Post
8/20/12 1:06 PM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everybody knows the UFC rule about 3 unanswered blows (which is different from the UG 3 unanswered blow rule).
8/20/12 1:14 PM
Chimonos Revenge
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont think he was completely fine...he was trying to take down the ref.
8/20/12 1:30 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol he should be thanking Mazzagati for not allowing him get hit more.

And the Brazilian fans will be wanting Fitch to get destroyed by Erick, and he won't disappoint them.
8/20/12 1:33 PM
Silverball
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Give Jon a break, he's an optimist similar to Miesha Tate.
8/20/12 1:35 PM
ausgepicht

NorthFromHere -  I always thought that Hendricks knocked him out cold but based on this gif Fitch might have a point there. Good stoppage anyways

Looks like he knocked him out standing (goes limb and arms drop), then knocks him out cold while on his back, even though he wakes up a second later.

I agree with Fitch that it should be a minimum amount of unanswered blows, but NOT if you are mid-nap. That's for when you are awake, not defending yourself, perhaps curled up in a ball.

Still a fan though. This is a HUGE test for Silva. He'll be on his home turf and so far that's proved to be beneficial.
8/20/12 2:03 PM
robbie380
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brazilian fans are the biggest assholes in the world.  No way they cheer for a good performance from a non-Brazilian.  
8/20/12 2:18 PM
ausgepicht

robbie380 -  Brazilian fans are the biggest assholes in the world.  No way they cheer for a good performance from a non-Brazilian.  

Very true.  
8/20/12 2:29 PM
Scott Rotem

He obviously didn't count his head bouncing off the canvas as an unanswered blow.

Brutal.
8/20/12 2:33 PM
GroundStPound

LOL @ Fitch being cheered in another country, he can't even get a cheer in the States.

The jubilation seen after he was KO'd had wasn't just because it was the festive period. Phone Post
8/20/12 2:36 PM
Dougie
1090 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - 
NorthFromHere -  I always thought that Hendricks knocked him out cold but based on this gif Fitch might have a point there. Good stoppage anyways

Looks like he knocked him out standing (goes limb and arms drop), then knocks him out cold while on his back, even though he wakes up a second later.

I agree with Fitch that it should be a minimum amount of unanswered blows, but NOT if you are mid-nap. That's for when you are awake, not defending yourself, perhaps curled up in a ball.

Still a fan though. This is a HUGE test for Silva. He'll be on his home turf and so far that's proved to be beneficial.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.